5 Reasons f(x) Paved the Way for BlackPink in the West

• FUCK IT! Yet another article of mine allkpop was too scared to post.

%C0%CF%B7%BA%C6%AE%B8%AF%BC%EE%C5%A9_%B4%DC%C3%BC_%281%29.jpg?type=w800

5. English Stage Names:

With f(x) being SM's first girl group designed to appeal to the West this made them the first girl group to have all English stage names. There were groups before who had English names but not an entire group. SM wanted to market these girls to a Western fanbase from day one and what better way then to give them easy to remember names such as Krystal, Amber, and Victoria? You can clearly see the inspiration in the names Jennie, Lisa, and Rose.

4. More Foreign Members than Locals:

f(x) was the first kpop group to have more members from abroad then from home. With Krystal and Amber born in California and Victoria born in China you could see how ahead of the times SM was. He knew in order to get people on board with this new group he needed members that fans from the target area could relate to. You want to blow up in America? Why not hire two Americans?? BlackPink doesn't have an Americans but they do have two foreigners and Jennie Austrialian accent is so strong people think she is actually from Austrailia. The English speaking ability of BlackPink is a clear reminder of what their goal as a group was.

3. Invitations to America:

The popularity of f(x) was so strong that in 2013 they became the first ever kpop group invited to the legendary SXSW music festival. A venue that has seen dozens of kpop acts perform at since. The same year the girls did a famous cross over with Hollywood star Anna Kendrick titled "Anna Kendrick Goes Kpop" where the star becomes an actual member of f(x). This hilarious skit was a lot of peoples introduction to kpop and further indicates f(x) reach into the American market. BlackPink followed in these footsteps with concerts and festivals and other high profile Hollywood team ups.

2. Krystal aka the original Jennie:

Although Krystal never reached the same level as Jennie (it was a different time) she was a standout star who was hugely popular in Korea and all over the world. She was also praised nonstop for her unique beauty that drove both guys and girls crazy. She had more fanboys and more fangirls than any idol before or since. Every guy had her as his ideal type and every girl had her image as their phone background. She also got to Kai first. If that isn't paving the way then I don't know what is lol. Like Jennie she was a big model and CF star. These days she is a successful actress. A path that Jennie may want to look into after her time with BlackPink.

1. Girl Crush Pioneers:

Along with 2NE1 f(x) was the start of a new kind of girl group. Girls with a little bit of attitude. Rebellious, stylish, funky yet cute. Songs that went a little harder than your average cute concept girl group who was the norm up until that time. This hard edged concept is what the West gravitates to more than any other and f(x) was a true stand out. These girl crush groups took style and fashion to a whole new level and now BlackPink carries on that tradition that has pretty much dominated girl groups for the last five years. BlackPink can thank their label mates and f(x) for opening that door for them.

What do you think of my list? Did I leave anything off? Does BlackPink remind you of f(x) during second gen?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Actually the article is pretty peaceful?

If you wanted a fight it will be just bc you said Jennie has an Australian accent when it's Rosé kkkkk

Everything you said was ok ??

The Krystal had Kai first was disrespectful though and unnecessary as Kai isn't an object..

Pretty peaceful and still too controversial to publish.

What has allkpop come to?

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Drew_B

SM's first girl group designed to appeal to the West

That is in recent years-

They had some 1st/2nd gen groups they wanted to promote too but they never got big. Also doesn't CJSH have english names as well? Lina, Dana, Sunday and Stephanie.

But yeah f(x) was ahead of their time and if they debuted today, they'd be one of the tops. Even now so many groups are inspired by their sound and success. That was not shade by the way.

• I AGREE. YG took inspiration from a lot of 2nd gen groups while forming BP and I think they stole a lot from FX. Rumor has it that Boombayah was for F(X) before Blackpink STOLE it from them. Don't worry, I was there to witness it ALL. I saw Jennie steal the CD out of Amber's HAND. Jennie also stole Amber's rapping skills. :thumbdown:

✰ ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 🌷🌷🌷♡ ♡ ♡🌷🌷🌷 ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ✰

c84b43c6d23bf4bc277ebcd8e1c37de5.jpgStory pin image

• But he pretty much "praised" BP dominance in the GC concept kkkk so it's ok

I was mostly counting on the Krystal being the original Jennie to start a fire.

I wanted to go hard on this article but if i did i knew it would get denied. So i Disneyfied it and it still didn't pass customs.

• I AGREE. YG took inspiration from a lot of 2nd gen groups while forming BP and I think they stole a lot from FX. Rumor has it that Boombayah was for F(X) before Blackpink STOLE it from them. Don't worry, I was there to witness it ALL. I saw Jennie steal the CD out of Amber's HAND. Jennie also stole Amber's rapping skills. :thumbdown:

Oh, that's some hot tea.

Monalisa (me) is watching, keep going:

images - 2021-08-23T214635.570.jpeg

• I was mostly counting on the Krystal being the original Jennie to start a fire.

I wanted to go hard on this article but if i did i knew it would get denied. So i Disneyfied it and it still didn't pass customs.

Drew.. the Krystal/Jennie thing wasn't even shade kkkk you said Krystal didn't reach the same level of Jennie so this pretty much killed any type of shade kkkkk

• LMFAOOOOOO what did you do Drew! :annoyedk:

Who did you insult?

I never even go on the news section :pepeshut:

He was being sarcastic. I rarely go there either so I don't have many downvotes.

I mean if I was a regular on the news side I probably would lol.

But I'm a forum guy.

• 82 guests? Come get this free knowledge. And if you're from twitter please send this award winning article their way lol

• If you post your article at the right time you can get 150+ views.

Its 94 now. All it takes is just ONE blink to get triggered and the snowball effect will send this article into legend territory.

• If anyone paved the way for Blackpink it was 1st gen, the same people you constantly discredit Drew.

1st gen didn't pave anything for groups going global though. Kpop in the 90s was huge but it was mostly a local phenomenon.

• 1st gen didn't pave anything for groups going global though. Kpop in the 90s was huge but it was mostly a local phenomenon.

No it was pretty big. In Asian countries they were huge but the few groups that did know english were popular ie Lee Sangmin + Roora randomly recruiting a 50-70 year old American man as their new member. See they even had Western kpop members!

External Content www.youtube.com

Enjoy the stage of the first African American man in kpop

• TBH BP sometimes looks like they are really inspired by 2NE1 & f(x) (i'm thinking YG probably took more inspiration from f(x) rather than snsd when making bp) so i'm not shocked by this article.

Edited once, last by merekede ().

• What's embarrassing is that DrewB and Teshubs are doing BP related troll threads at the same time. Both must be so pissed at each other for stealing each other's concepts during this era. :pepe-joy:

• This thread contains 22 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!