Why hasn't BTS surpassed Gangnam Style yet?

• It's been what..10 years since this song took the world by storm?

I just don't think BTS is really on Psy level cause he had a MV hit a billion views when BTS were rookies.

Meaning BTS definitely benefited from Psy paving the way. This makes Psy look even better cause no one paved the way for him.

Do you think BTS will ever have a song that big?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• same sentiment for spotify, why hasn't gangnam style surpassed dynamite spotify streams yet?

So Dynamite is bigger and had more impact than Gangum Style?

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I think maybe because Gangnam style was a unique quirky kind of song that no one outside Korea had really heard before. It’s funny that the quirkier and unique kind of song seems to be the most memorable. It certainly was a one of a kind sort of song that I doubt can ever be replicated. Nine years on, I still hear it playing. Psy was a one of a kind also.

• This comparison has never made any sense to me. PSY had a viral hit but never managed to transfer that into a massive career with longevity. BTS has had several big hits, maybe none of them are as big as gangnam style on youtube but their entire discography comes together to create a much MUCH more massive impact than gangnam style or PSY ever had.

• Because Gangnam style was an actual authentic hit song. No streaming, no bulk buying, it just went viral. Not even a fandom to back him up, Like Psy had fans, I'm sure of it, but not like army. I Do not think BTS will ever have an authentic hit song like Gangnam style.

"Authentic". I love this word. Because it's so true.

All BTS songs will be hits just because they were released by BTS. Quality doesn't matter.

When a guy like Psy has a hit that big (especially that long ago) then you know it was legit.

• I think maybe because Gangnam style was a unique quirky kind of song that no one outside Korea had really heard before. It’s funny that the quirkier and unique kind of song seems to be the most memorable. It certainly was a one of a kind sort of song that I doubt can ever be replicated. Nine years on, I still hear it playing. Psy was a one of a kind also.

This. Psy performed on the Today show and I think the hosts were out of mocking the dance and song like look at this funny Korean and his funny song and dance.

• This comparison has never made any sense to me. PSY had a viral hit but never managed to transfer that into a massive career with longevity. BTS has had several big hits, maybe none of them are as big as gangnam style on youtube but their entire discography comes together to create a much MUCH more massive impact than gangnam style or PSY ever had.

pwswan shots fired.

• Gangnam Style is one of a kind. I doubt any K-pop song will top it. 9 years later, it's still the 5th most viewed K-pop MV in 2021.

External Content twitter.com

• If thats the case, it's 2nd gen group who should be benefited the most from Gangnam Style success, a lot of top 2nd gen group (Bigbang, SNSD, SJ, etc) were still very active when GS went viral.

• This. Psy performed on the Today show and I think the hosts were out of mocking the dance and song like look at this funny Korean and his funny song and dance.

True but look how it took the world by storm then everybody was copying the dance, even flash mobs. I’d never seen anything like it.

• Gangnam Style is one of a kind. I doubt any K-pop song will top it. 9 years later, it's still the 5th most viewed K-pop MV in 2021.

External Content twitter.com

GOD DAMN! That's insane! I had no idea it was still pulling those kinds of numbers today.

• Did I lie? There is a very clear decline with almost every release since GS.

Michael Jackson never topped Thriller. So what's your point?

• Imagine how tired we are of these comparisons.

A song like Gangnam Style is going to be hard to replicate, it was basically a worldwide phenomenon and in the leagues of Despacito, Old Town Road IMO. Not even PSY could replicate it's success...you'd literally see people doing the "horse dance" everywhere and you can see some still try to dance to it today. It's novelty factor lied in the fact that it was very "weird" and quirky, something most people at the time hadn't seen before. It's still pulling impressive numbers on YT today as someone showed in the thread already, and for a song that's entirely in Korean, the numbers it pulled were very impressive.

Dynamite...did very good as well. They snatched a Grammy nom, a #1 on Hot100, along with many other impressive achievements. I think both were a milestone for KPOP as a whole and should be celebrated. BTS will likely never have a GS-sized hit, but that doesn't mean their whole career and the way they were able to break through the West isn't impressive.

• Did I lie? There is a very clear decline with almost every release since GS.

Psy has a successful career with longevity… he just decided to not promote in the west anymore. It wasn’t his plan in the first place anyway. That man has his own record label…. If that is not successful to you than I don’t know lol

• Michael Jackson never topped Thriller. So what's your point?

He still made albums and singles later that had outstanding and extraordinary success. Outside of gentleman, which was still heavily riding on the GS hype train, PSY's singles and albums have been moderately successful but certainly not to an extraordinary level.

• Gangnam Style is the only real global hit in Korean music history, the rest are songs inflated by fandoms.

OMG I love this post. Best answer.

• Psy has a successful career with longevity… he just decided to not promote in the west anymore. It wasn’t his plan in the first place anyway. That man has his own record label…. If that is not successful to you than I don’t know lol

I'm talking about longevity and success as a recording artist, not as a CEO or producer.

• Definitely cause BTS are inorganic flops who no gp anywhere listens to, only fangirls be zombie streaming them. So how they gonna surpass Psy when they did not even surpass TVXQ and your other 2nd gen faves Drew?

• Fans literally sit 24/7 and stream BTS songs (Well this goes for all kpop groups) but it's not like psy had loyal fangirls sitting and streaming his song on 10 different devices.

ohhh a derogatory comment

:fingerk:

Anyway. Yes, use Psy because your faves can’t. I’m not even sure most of you really appreciate his music and his business acumen. Just happy that someone is topping BTS. I’m fine with Psy because he’s a class act and Gangnam Style is still very popular. Kudos for Psy!

This. I'd rather have a career with longevity than a massive peak and never being able to replicate that again. Also, more people knew GS than they knew Psy, I doubt that is and will ever be the case for BTS.

• This thread contains 143 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!