Is it really that offensive for idols to have braids and dreads

• Absolutely. As a black person it is offensive.......to my eyes. That sh*t does not look good and they need to stop. Whoever told them they looked good lied. They lied multiple times.

I will add that stuff like what you mentioned isn't limited to only the US.

• I honestly really don't get why people get so triggered when idols wear their hair in braids or dreads. I'm a black African that was brought up in the uk but I really see no reason for people to get so offended. The reason I generally see people giving is because in the US black people who want to style their hair naturally get treated badly for it, so its something that should stay within the community but in the first place braids and from Africa and I don't see Africans getting offended. If you don't want other people wearing their hair in braids in the US because of the oppression black people have faced thats fine, but Korea's a whole nother country, so what if they choose to wear their hair in braids, they weren't the ones that oppressed black Americans. If they're not offending black Africans then no one should care, American's problems are their own not anyone else's, so idk why they have to project their views onto the rest of the world.

this post is giving me c word vibes

• Let me explain this to you clearly, when these idols put on fake dreads and box braids they are not thinking of Africa. They dress up in this way, change their mannerisms, and speech to copy HIP HOP, which is an African American genre. Why should ONLY Africans have a say concerning a culture that they’re not even part of? Both have a say and one doesn’t like it. How many times can y’all ask this same tired question? There’s so many courses that can be taken on intercultural communications, anthropology, sociology. Pick one.

• Here's my view on it.. I completely understand how it can be frustrating for africans/african americans to get criticized for wearing certain hairstyles while seeing how other people of non-african descent get praised for it, but it's not like its their fault. That frustration should be aimed at the ones who do the criticizing, not the ones who wear another culture's hairstyle. If you're utilizing a part of another culture with care, respect, and appreciation, I really don't see how anyone can get mad at that. This goes for anything too, not just asians wearing dreads/braids. If you were a black person wearing hanbok, for example, it should be fine. Any culture/race utilizing a part of another culture/race to me isn't an issue as long as the people utilizing it do it respectfully and aren't downgrading/mocking others.

• OK ...Op is definitely not black bye....

Girl Koreans tried to kick out Sam Okyere for having an opinion on black face!!! plsss...also out of all the platforms you chose AKP a known anti-black forum to ask this question?? No one here can help you with that.

Viola Davis GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Edited 3 times, last by kikikpop ().

• I'm not black but what I understand from black people is that South Korea has strong anti black sentiments and colourism. They use dreads and braids to look exotic and cool for a performance but at the same time they use these same traits and hairstyles against black people and treat it as ugly.

• it certainly is and you'll be very ignorant to say it isn't, its that simple. who are we to say something isn't offensive to any race if you aren't apart of that race????? MAKE IT MAKE SENSE PEOPLE!! Thats like telling a blind person to read a book then getting annoyed/ angry when they complain they cant read it. People's hairstyles are their identity and culture which brings them closer to the ancestry. bloodlines that have suffered and fought for certain things people in other cultures know nothing about but jump on the chance to exploit it.

aespadaily | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgirningning gif | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgiraespadaily | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgirningning gif | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

æ- "𝕋𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕚𝕤 𝔼𝕧𝕠, 𝔼𝕧𝕠𝕝𝕦𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟" -𝕒𝕖𝕤𝕡𝕒 -æ

• OK ...Op is definitely not black bye....

Girl Koreans tried to kick out Sam Okeyere for having an opinion on black face!!! plsss...also out of the platforms you chose AKP a known anti-black forum to ask this question?? No one here can help you with that.

Viola Davis GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Please don't try to dimish the fact that I'm black just because you don't like what I'm saying and because I didn't know that this forum can be considered anti-black. I said I'm black African and I am, its highly offensive of you to deny me or anyone else for that matter of what they say they are without having seen them just because what they say is not in line with expectations of a black person.

u r not black

• Lol, you need you stop looking things with such a biased and bigoted view. I am black, specifically I am Yoruba and I speak the language. I am someone who feels very connected with my culture so I really don't appreciate you trying to redefine me as someone I'm not.

im not reading allat

• Anyone can wear whatever they want as long as they're not mocking or disrespecting others. We live in America ffs.

This America?

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I am not black but based on what I heard it’s offensive since black ppl get mocked for their natural hairstyles like dreads to a point where they are even banned in some places yet when a non-black person wears them it’s suddenly seen as cool and trendy and they sometimes wear it to mock black ppl also

• For me, I'm more of the view of that its clear that nowadays with the Internet, TV and everything that all across the world people get to see bits from loads of different cultures. Yes, things in cultures have their history and whatnot, but if you see something you like from someone else's culture it shouldn't be wrong to try it out so long as you don't redefine it as your own or hate on people who belong to that culture for doing whats part of their culture. I just like to be optimistic and feel like sharing is the way to go not monopolising. I feel when people from a specific country see others trying stuff from their culture, most of time, I tend to see them appreciating the fact that others want to try things from their culture and I just wish it could be the same with braids. I wonder if you polled all black people in the world, what percentage of them would truly disagree with seeing people from countries different to their own wearing braids, I honestly don't think it would be the majority, I for one as a black person, don't really care if others wear braids or not, I think its just the majority of people who reply to things about others wearing braids and other black hairstyles are those who disagree with it, but they don't necessarily represent the majority of black peoples opinions because if your not feeling pressed about an issue, you won't necessarily go out of your way to comment on it.

But then you don't speak for majority of black people, nor do you represent their voices. The history behind braids and black people protective hairstyles such as dreads root back to African tribes, tribes that were taken for slavery and placed all over the world. It was seen taboo to have those hairstyles as you represented dirt/ slave/ poorer. Kinda similar to how Korea views darker skin Koreans as less attractive and non ideal. Even now black people globally have to battle to be able to wear their natural hair (Which may be braids/ afro/ dreads/ cornrows or whatever) in places of work and SCHOOls (YES schools have sent home black children for their hair and has deemed in inappropriate believe it or not !) so even now black people battle for their rights of representing their heritage in professional work places and are only now accept the natural hair movement and proud of the different hair textures, we were taught to hate and hide ( Hence why black women wear wigs or perm their hair straight which damages our nature hair completely) so then after all that, for someone who knows nothing about black history and decides to copy a hairstyle without the knowledge or the trouble black people face for this same hairstyle only because it looks cool or it looks amazing for a comeback is beyond ignorant! and anyone who agrees is ignorant and should be ashamed of themselves.

aespadaily | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgirningning gif | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgiraespadaily | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgirningning gif | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

• "Some of the earliest depictions of dreadlocks date back as far as 3600 years to the Minoan Civilization, one of Europe's earliest civilizations, centered in Crete (now part of Greece). Frescoes discovered on the Aegean island of Thera (modern Santorini, Greece) depict individuals with long braided hair or long dreadlocks."

/thread ?

• "Some of the earliest depictions of dreadlocks date back as far as 3600 years to the Minoan Civilization, one of Europe's earliest civilizations, centered in Crete (now part of Greece). Frescoes discovered on the Aegean island of Thera (modern Santorini, Greece) depict individuals with long braided hair or long dreadlocks."

/thread ?

But you've massively missed the point???? what is wrong with you all? are you actually children or just blinded by ignorance?

These people weren't mistreated whatsoever for wearing these styles, the whole argument is African tribes that dates way further back than this have always worn these styles and much more if you actually do your research and not selective evidence, but once taken into slavery these styles were looked at equivalent to how people look at racial colour , the darker you are the dirtier you are as you work out in the sun. The thicker and curlier (whatever) your texture was the less professional, less respectful they were and still are to you till this day! I have seen first hand people talk about a black girl (I'm mixed black and south asian) hair and how unprofessional it looked? SHE ONLY HAD BRAIDS! stories like this are everywhere!!

/thread ?

You tell me after all that people can then imitate ( and don't you dare say they're copying this Greece style as its been heavily applied its been taken from black/ African influence) all that and no have issue what so ever? its literally racist ignorance right in your face and people have told them to stop and yet people continue and defend it, you might as well paint every light coloured person black and say there are dark skinned people in India or even the whole of asia, its not ignorant....... everyone should be ashamed...

:pepe-tea:

• All I'm saying is lots of different people in the world used to braid their hair in a way or another. The idea that one "race" owns a particular hairstyle is reason defying.

If some people in some places are discriminated because they have braids, you should WISH that more people do braid their hair so it is more commonplace. I don't understand the point you're trying to make, it just seems self defeating.

• This thread contains 58 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!