South Asian Exclusion From The Asian Community Is Ridiculous

• No, seriously it’s so tiring when people tell you what you are and what you are not. The amount of times people tell a South Asian to “stop Asian fishing” for stating they are Asian (which they ARE) is so ridiculous. I hope people realize there is more to Asia then China, Korea, and Japan. Stop stripping SA’s of our race. The fact that really frustrates me is that South Asians are even alienated by the Asian community as well. When people talk about Asian hate or community, majority of the time South Asians are left out of the conversation. Even during AAPI month, the exclusion was so painfully obvious.

“You don’t look Asian, you look Indian”— well, I’m sorry that my ethnic and phenotypical differences make me less of an Asian (to add that I am not even Indian). People like these really make me question if they even passed elementary or not. A simple geography class can help anyone understand that India is in Asia, and that not every SA is Indian. There are 8 countries within South Asia, and it’s one of the most diverse regions ethnically and linguistically in Asia. Sorry for the rant, I’ve just been frustrated about this for a while. 😭

• I'm half indian, and when I tell people they think I'm a joke because I have darker skin, even in asian heritage month when I talk about my grandma and grandpa and their religion and background, people look at me like I'm lying or something. seriously. a lot of people really think indian people aren't asian, it's really annoying having to explain to people.

✰ ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 🌷🌷🌷♡ ♡ ♡🌷🌷🌷 ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ✰

c84b43c6d23bf4bc277ebcd8e1c37de5.jpgStory pin image

• If you're talking about #Murica, it's not their fault.

Their educational system is so crap that they have no idea that there are 3 countries in their American continent.

Nah not just Americans, here in Canada some people have the same failed mindsets. It’s one thing to be ignorant and to educate oneself, and another to keep feigning that ignorance.

• No, seriously it’s so tiring when people tell you what you are and what you are not. The amount of times people tell a South Asian to “stop Asian fishing” for stating they are Asian (which they ARE) is so ridiculous. I hope people realize there is more to Asia then China, Korea, and Japan. Stop stripping SA’s of our race. The fact that really frustrates me is that South Asians are even alienated by the Asian community as well. When people talk about Asian hate or community, majority of the time South Asians are left out of the conversation. Even during AAPI month, the exclusion was so painfully obvious.

“You don’t look Asian, you look Indian”— well, I’m sorry that my ethnic and phenotypical differences make me less of an Asian (to add that I am not even Indian). People like these really make me question if they even passed elementary or not. A simple geography class can help anyone understand that India is in Asia, and that not every SA is Indian. There are 8 countries within South Asia, and it’s one of the most diverse regions ethnically and linguistically in Asia. Sorry for the rant, I’ve just been frustrated about this for a while. 😭

I get you. It is unfair.

• I have a pet peeve when people use terms like Asia, Africa, and so on. With specific about the usage of "Asia", when people say that, it is usually referring to East Asians which is dumb. People should specify. Asia encompass people from Armenia to Japan. There are very few instances people can use the term Asia in the right context.

In TC's specific example, Southeast Asians get thrown under the bus as well. On the flip side, some non-Asians may get referred to or even attacked for looking what some idiots think is "Asian looks" like Mexicans and Native Americans. During the highs of attacks on Asian communities, a Mexican senior was assaulted because the attacker thought she was Chinese.

• I have a pet peeve when people use terms like Asia, Africa, and so on. With specific about the usage of "Asia", when people say that, it is usually referring to East Asians which is dumb. People should specify. Asia encompass people from Armenia to Japan. There are very few instances people can use the term Asia in the right context.

In TC's specific example, Southeast Asians get thrown under the bus as well. On the flip side, some non-Asians may get referred to or even attacked for looking what some idiots think is "Asian looks" like Mexicans and Native Americans. During the highs of attacks on Asian communities, a Mexican senior was assaulted because the attacker thought she was Chinese.

Honestly this all just goes to show how uneducated people really are. This world is so disappointing.

• the idea of an "asian community" is odd same with an "African community", ethnicity will always be greater than the concept of race when it comes to self-identification at least in the economic zone I live in.

• I think in some parts of North America they fail to realise that when they mean "asian" they really refer to oriental whereas Asians encompass a much wider group of countries and ethnicities...

• Usually people are annoyed when a person of another race pretends to be a Mongoloid.

No, no, the point was that we have been told to stop Asian fishing, when we simply state we are Asians— they try to imply that we are “trying” to be Asians or something by saying what we are? It has nothing to do with people trying to look East-Asians or Southeast Asians, plus SA is extremely diverse so monolids and Eastern features are also quite common is South Asia as well. However I do understand the frustration and anger EA’s and SEA’s have regarding that issue, which is absolutely valid, but the situation I was referring to is different.

• No, no the point was that we have been told to stop Asian fishing, when we simply state we are Asians— they try to imply that we are “trying” to be Asians or something by saying what we are? It has nothing to do with people trying to look East-Asians or Southeast Asians, plus SA is extremely diverse so monolids and Eastern features are also quite common is South Asia as well. However I do understand the frustration and anger EA’s and SEA’s have regarding that issue, which is absolutely valid, but the situation I was referring to is different.

The problem is that in spoken language Asian = Mongoloid and it is a very old and well-established idea.

• North America starts north of the panama cannel. so normaly it should be included. But even if you leave them out. how could you ignore the great and mighty greenland? :pepe-sad:

I was not taught that in geography. For us we're being taught different.

Tho Greendland whilst being physically within the continent it belongs to Europe (Denmark more precisely)

• Even if people know SA is a part of Asia, let's take an example of India, they will say you're not "proper" Asians :pepe-joy:

They all have a view of what Asians are supposed to look like and that's the only way they can be Asians lol.

• Even if people know SA is a part of Asia, let's take an example of India, they will say you're not "proper" Asians :pepe-joy:

They all have a view of what Asians are supposed to look like and that's the only way they can be Asians lol.

One thing that I discovered few years ago, Central Asians are considered "white" by us census bureau :whatb:

• Being from Central Asia I am not sure how to react or should I react to it at all :sweatr1: or whether this information affects my life at all

I don't live in the us so I'm not sure either how it affects.

But it's just plain weird.

• I don't live in the us so I'm not sure either how it affects.

But it's just plain weird.

Agree.

If to look phenotype wise, our population's look is very broad: we have people with fair complexion (green/light brown eyes, brown hair) to more darker complexion (dark brown eyes, dark brown/black hair). May be that is the reason

• This thread contains 43 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!