Are kpop fans generally as aggresive and rude as I saw today?

• I don't even know if this is the correct area to post this. Well since I am kind of new in the kpop related stuff and don't really use social media, and I have limited experience with interactions with kpop fans, other than reading these posts in this and a couple of other websites this really is weird.

Details are not important, but I see this thread, i vote that I disagree with the thread, and then I post why i disagree with the thread,as you do in forums to have a discussion. Did not attack the artist (even said they are huge), or any of the posters. My god, people immediately attacked me like there is no tomorrow. And with such rudeness. I did not troll, did not call anyone any names, presented my case and tried to have a discussion, even agreeing with people when they offered their arguments, yet my god the aggressiveness and the rudeness.

I have never seen such an immediate reaction to other forums I was a member of in the past (such a thing usually happens only after a significant number of posts and heated discussion). So is this normal for the website or am I just weird? I mean, ok i am a newbie in kpop related stuff I understand that, but I am sure people who have interacted with me in the past days know that I try to have conversations and I don't troll. This was such a weird experience? Wow! If this is what usually happens, why participate in such a forum in the first place.

• Welcome to kpop lol. Actually, there are plenty of nice people and reasonable fans, but I have discovered that critical discussion isn't really received well most of the time and the loud, sensitive types will tend to try to shut stuff down. Kpop stans are VERY emotionally invested in their faves. I would love to see more honest discussion, but it can be hard. I would suggest dipping your feet in slowly, getting to know the personality of whatever forums/groups you join, and develop a rapport with some posters. Then maybe you will get less heat and more honest responses.

• Official Post

I don't even know if this is the correct area to post this. Well since I am kind of new in the kpop related stuff and don't really use social media, and I have limited experience with interactions with kpop fans, other than reading these posts in this and a couple of other websites this really is weird.

Details are not important, but I see this thread, i vote that I disagree with the thread, and then I post why i disagree with the thread,as you do in forums to have a discussion. Did not attack the artist (even said they are huge), or any of the posters. My god, people immediately attacked me like there is no tomorrow. And with such rudeness. I did not troll, did not call anyone any names, presented my case and tried to have a discussion, even agreeing with people when they offered their arguments, yet my god the aggressiveness and the rudeness.

I have never seen such an immediate reaction to other forums I was a member of in the past (such a thing usually happens only after a significant number of posts and heated discussion). So is this normal for the website or am I just weird? I mean, ok i am a newbie in kpop related stuff I understand that, but I am sure people who have interacted with me in the past days know that I try to have conversations and I don't troll. This was such a weird experience? Wow! If this is what usually happens, why participate in such a forum in the first place.

people are more aggressive, rude and abrasive online because they're anonymous and can act as unpleasantly as they like without immediate consequence. body language, facial expressions or more obvious tone differences are more blatant in person and it's much harder to be openly aggro when you have to look someone in the eye and be responsible for your own actions and words.

even as a part time mod, i get a lot of hate for both overmoderation and simultaneously undermoderating - you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. and the idea of being unable to be omniscient and omnipresent at all misbehavior of users seems baffling to some but, eh. you do what you can.

it might scare some to accept that offline society has only developed as it has because people fear the consequences of following their nastier base instincts.

post what you like, and simply hope the other participants in your threads also understand there are real people behind the screens.

(best wishes, don't lose hope or faith in the "good" forumites. they exist, i promise.)

• everyone here gets aggressive with each other bc there are certain users that are well known trolls and newer accounts often end up being people's dupe accounts or newbie trolls so people have a knee jerk reaction to faceless newbie users. the kpop community in general is full of animosity so get used to it.

who's your favorite artist?

• I’ve been here on and off since I joined in 2016, I’ve seen two revamps and many members come and go. It’s bound to happen that you’re going to come across users who “get under your skin.” That’s the nature of K pop I’m afraid. I’m in my 50’s and have had tussles with youngsters who think they know more than me. Lol. I either block them or don’t post. They’re are some nice users who come here to talk about K pop and want to have general discussion, and there are the trolls who are nothing but attention seeking troublemakers. You get to know the difference between the two.

• It's the people that joined the fandom. They were never normal, even before liking Kpop

Honestly, while there are many of nice, normal kpop stans, I never knew how much crazy there really was in the world until I started listening to kpop. The sheer weirdness I have run into while looking for people to chat about kpop with really boggles my mind. I guess something about kpop attracts it.

• Hey thanks everyone for your comments. The name calling and attacking started immediately and caught me by surprise, that's all. Especially because i didn't say anything negative about anyone and was attacked from multiple users all at once and each comment I was trying to form a proper response 2 or 3 more would pop up. I have never seen something like that in the forums I was a member before and it was such a weird experience. Thank you all very much for your responses. They really helped understand the situation a bit more. Let's all have a great rest of the weekend.

• Hey thanks everyone for your comments. The name calling and attacking started immediately and caught me by surprise, that's all. Especially because i didn't say anything negative about anyone and was attacked from multiple users all at once and each comment I was trying to form a proper response 2 or 3 more would pop up. I have never seen something like that in the forums I was a member before and it was such a weird experience. Thank you all very much for your responses. They really helped understand the situation a bit more. Let's all have a great rest of the weekend.

I'm really sorry you went through that. I thought you were talking about some snippiness or rudeness. Name calling and attacks is really out of line and against the rules. I hope that someone notified the mods and they took care of it for you. I hope your experiences in the future are much better. :)

• I'm really sorry you went through that. I thought you were talking about some snippiness or rudeness. Name calling and attacks is really out of line and against the rules. I hope that someone notified the mods and they took care of it for you. I hope your experiences in the future are much better. :)

No problem. Please don't think that it was something really awful. it was just so immediate and by so many people at once, I became a bit overwhelmed. And I was trying to have a conversation and some common ground and I was thinking, wait is this thing I am saying stupid, am i really a clown and stupid and stuff? Maybe i really said something wrong or offensive. I was so confused.

• No problem. Please don't think that it was something really awful. it was just so immediate and by so many people at once, I became a bit overwhelmed. And I was trying to have a conversation and some common ground and I was thinking, wait is this thing I am saying stupid, am i really a clown and stupid and stuff? Maybe i really said something wrong or offensive. I was so confused.

I agree with what the users said previously. I would just like to add that people like to feel powerful and being smartasses and they like to bring other people down with it, I guess it makes them feel better (being the users or famous people/idols). Anonymity also helps with that. And being a kpop forum people get too emotionally invested and want just one narrative, so it's hard to have some double sided discussions. There is a lot of good users that are nice to have discussions about kpop or other things here too, but with some it's just not worth discussing if they are not even trying to understand your point. They'll never understand you, so it's not worth your effort or time.

That's my point of view at least. I don't know what kind of discussions were you talking about, but for me, I just concentrate on what I like to discuss here and don't even go to threads that are provocative, some people seem to provoke out of boredom (or to 'prove' how their faves are superior, but they just bring hate to them).

• I agree with what the users said previously. I would just like to add that people like to feel powerful and being smartasses and they like to bring other people down with it, I guess it makes them feel better (being the users or famous people/idols). Anonymity also helps with that. And being a kpop forum people get too emotionally invested and want just one narrative, so it's hard to have some double sided discussions. There is a lot of good users that are nice to have discussions about kpop or other things here too, but with some it's just not worth discussing if they are not even trying to understand your point. They'll never understand you, so it's not worth your effort or time.

That's my point of view at least. I don't know what kind of discussions were you talking about, but for me, I just concentrate on what I like to discuss here and don't even go to threads that are provocative, some people seem to provoke out of boredom (or to 'prove' how their faves are superior, but they just bring hate to them).

yes there are cool people in the forum. I had a couple of really nice discussions the previous days about music. It was really fun. But there are also people who are more antagonistic and aggressive it seems.

I don't have a problem with people correcting me when I am wrong. For example in that specific thread I admitted that my thinking had flaws and i asked how we could approach the question better because the other people also had flaws in their arguments. Some people want to get a victory over others and not discuss. I am aware of that. but I have never seen such antagonism to the point of calling someone stupid or clown or whatever, from the first one or two comments, and then continue calling them names after they gave up. It was an interesting experience and the comments here have given me a better perspective.

• yes there are cool people in the forum. I had a couple of really nice discussions the previous days about music. It was really fun. But there are also people who are more antagonistic and aggressive it seems.

I don't have a problem with people correcting me when I am wrong. For example in that specific thread I admitted that my thinking had flaws and i asked how we could approach the question better because the other people also had flaws in their arguments. Some people want to get a victory over others and not discuss. I am aware of that. but I have never seen such antagonism to the point of calling someone stupid or clown or whatever, from the first one or two comments, and then continue calling them names after they gave up. It was an interesting experience and the comments here have given me a better perspective.

That's nice to hear, I also think we are learning new things every day and we should realize no one it ever 100% correct, we all have our own viewpoints and background that made us know what we know, so to realize you can also be wrong and be willing to learn new thing when others correct you, is worth a lot imo.

I've also seen a lot of discussions when people are clowning each other or using names for them. I'm otherwise quite a sensitive person, but I'm not sensitive over internet. What bugs me the most is that I know there are a lot of young kids here, that take those comments very hard... I wish people would realize there is a better way to talk with someone than to insult them, you can never know who the other person is and what they are struggling with...

• I don't know what happened with you....

But I can probably guess who it was from your description....

Anyway, Lots of people can't take opinions here....happened with me way too many tines...

Also, Welcome to AKP. The Lounge and Guilds are the most peaceful places with little to no toxicity.

I love Pikachu.

Always have, Always will.

"Pika-Pi"

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!