Why BTS have Mixtapes instead of Solo Album?

• Hello guys! I'm a new into kpop!

I have some questions that I don't understand/ have answers to them

– Why BTS make Mixtape instead of a solo artist album? What the difference? From what I understand while searching that the difference is the album can be promoted and fans pay to have it and it can enter the billboard charts and the mixtape is free and doesn't enter the billboard charts or get promoted, if what I understand is right, and none of BTS members have a solo album, why RM, Suga , Jhope Mixtapes are not free at Apple Music? I know i can found the Mixtapes in YouTube for free but that doesn't make sense, Is it for supporting their work? Does the solo album never release at YouTube? Unless someone leaked it?

– Is Bighit not releasing a solo album because she wants them to stay under the Group Name? She don't want solo named at awards/billboard charts?

– How did Suga's D-2 entered the 200 Billboard chart when it was a Mixtape?

I know i'm so annoying but I really want to know :(

:nervousk:

Edited 2 times, last by miwri ().

• Mixtape by BTS members is free music for fans which is self -produced. It does not have physical release, nor is it released on Korean platforms. Since it is available on certain platforms like iTunes where fans can buy, also streaming being possible of Spotify, Apple music and YT, it allows their songs and mixtapes to chart on BB.

• You're not annoying at all! It's confusing. This is my understanding from what they've told us:

Mixtapes are fully produced, written, etc by the members, and while they can request help from company employees it sounds like those employees get to choose to be involved and it's all pretty voluntary. The company staff will also assess it hold it to their usual standards but revisions fall on the artists as well. This work is done outside of the usual schedule.

So the point is it to be the free expression of the artists without the pressure but also without the full support that goes behind a full release that will have the usual promo, roll-out, physicals, etc

They also see these as a gift to fans, music that doesn't come with an expectation of purchase; their passion is music, making it and sharing it, and it separates the "BH - BTS style" and the member's personal expression

While free, they can still enter the billboard charts because of streaming numbers and itunes/them being placed on paid-music sites. (They do this because ARMY request it/WANT to pay for them) as well as MV views such as for Daechwita

BH will however gladly - and it sounds like of their own volition, Hobi was surprised there was going to be a full MV for Chicken Noodle Soup and it was such a big deal - support and pay for videos that I'm guessing they split the profit with the artist for. however, we're not aware of how that works exactly; Yoongi was able to turn Daechwita into the amazing thing we saw from what was supposedly a very simple initial idea. The vid was his concept. Did he pay to upgrade it, or did the co? Unsure. They're very very rich men now, so either is possible.

At times mix tape songs will get snapped up the company to become official releases, like Stay and Your Eyes Tell by Jungkook (he told us they were meant for his mixtape, so that's a reason for the delay/he needs new songs) were. This is good for the creating member, bc that means they'll make much much more money off those songs. Bang PD wanted Everythinggoes from Mono to be a BTS song but Namjoon said it was too personal and wanted it on his mixtape.

The Members themselves keep repeating that their focus is on BTS - the way they still only do brand sponsorships as 7 after their contract show that it's clearly a preference. Both them and BigHit could make MUCh more more money sending them out individually as well like other companies do, but they seem to have no interest in that or going solo. The solos they get on official releases appears to be their focus.

We'll see what happens in time! But yeah think of mixtapes as gifts, really, and the members sharing music just for music's sake with us.

• It’s a way for the members to get things out of their system/have a personal creative outlet without forming a real identity outside of the band.

• This is a great explanation. I want to add that you can find their mixtapes, covers and other songs for free on sound-cloud, just in case you didn’t know OP.

• are mixtapes really self-produced? I remember when the controversy happened big hit addressed the issue by saying the producer was the one who used the sample, so I assumed mixtapes aren't necessarily self produced but songs that have been chosen by the artist and aren't distributed. This is probably a better definition Mixtape definition is - a compilation of songs recorded (as onto a cassette tape or a CD) from various sources.

"A mixtape (alternatively mix-tape or mix tape) is a compilation of music, typically from multiple sources, recorded onto a medium. With origins in the 1980s, the term normally describes a homemade compilation of music onto a cassette tape, CD, or digital playlist."

• Older mixtapes weren't originally on paid platforMs I think they started to from HopeWorld era and previous ones were added.

In korean the mixtapes are only streamable on Apple Music.

They singles can’t chart on BB is they do well and that bas been happening since 2020.

How the mixtape is promoted and released is upto the individual member ie how many mv, interviews but in general it is low key.

• are mixtapes really self-produced? I remember when the controversy happened big hit addressed the issue by saying the producer was the one who used the sample, so I assumed mixtapes aren't necessarily self produced but songs that have been chosen by the artist and aren't distributed. This is probably a better definition Mixtape definition is - a compilation of songs recorded (as onto a cassette tape or a CD) from various sources.

"A mixtape (alternatively mix-tape or mix tape) is a compilation of music, typically from multiple sources, recorded onto a medium. With origins in the 1980s, the term normally describes a homemade compilation of music onto a cassette tape, CD, or digital playlist."

What are you asking here? Go and check the credits if you want. Nobody said it’s solely produced by the member only.

ooooooooor you could go check the credits? idk just a suggestion

• girl, I'm just saying what bighit said when the whole controversy happened I don't follow bts so I don't know

I'll clarify dw.

7 out of the 10 songs had Suga as the producer and he was the first one listed in credits. Three songs(including the one which got into controversy) had him as a writer/composer.

Mixtapes for BTS are supposed to be made majorly by the members along with 2 or 3 other staff, which was the case with D2.

• I'll clarify dw.

7 out of the 10 songs had Suga as the producer and he was the first one listed in credits. Three songs had him as a writer/composer.

Mixtapes for BTS are supposed to be made majorly by the members along with 2 or 3 other staff, which was the case with D2.

ok got it

but what I was trying to say that originally mixtapes weren't necessarily supposed to be self made, it was mostly like a compilation of songs selected by the artist and recorded on a tape as far as I know.

• When I started getting into BTS I was confused too! So don’t be shy asking questions! Others have answered about the Mixtape (one user seems confused but maybe he’s just not used to having mixtapes by artists), so I’m gonna add something else too.

I was blown away when I know that BTS have other creative outlets that they share for free, not only songs but dance (Hobi used to post hope on the street), Jimin dance, video (JK’s GCF), even EatJin (beautiful video of Jin just eating.. that was just art), RM and Suga always discussing about their thought process in creating music and lyrics, Tae’s painting.. it really feels like BH nurture these boys and letting them explore their own artistry while being BTS.

• ok got it

but what I was trying to say that originally mixtapes weren't necessarily supposed to be self made, it was mostly like a compilation of songs selected by the artist and recorded on a tape as far as I know.

That’s the 1980s definition of mixtapes

You should read further on Wikipedia where the explain about mixtapes in hiphop.. if you’re familiar and follow rappers you wouldn’t be as confused as now

• ok got it

Yeah I understand, I was clarifying your first point.

Mixtapes can be compilations or samples of songs from different places. BTS also started out a bit similarly with RM, now they use it since they don't release solo albums.

• I don’t know but it’s dumb.. singers releasing mixtapes of original music instead of just releasing an album is dumb.

BTS are getting old.. pushing 30, NOW is the time for them to start setting the stones of their individual career paths!

• That’s the 1980s definition of mixtapes

You should read further on Wikipedia where the explain about mixtapes in hiphop.. if you’re familiar and follow rappers you wouldn’t be as confused as now

*sighs it's kind frustrating to even reply here I'm not confused lol I know the difference now it's the songs are recorded on a digital medium not on tapes like in the 80's

also I was addressing about the self produced part it doesn't have to be all self-produced.

• I don’t know but it’s dumb.. singers releasing mixtapes of original music instead of just releasing an album is dumb.

BTS are getting old.. pushing 30, NOW is the time for them to start setting the stones of their individual career paths!

I genuinely don't get how releasing an album and not a mixtape would set more stones in their individual career ? This is legit the same thing, minus the pressure of charting and sales. It's not like they need money, LOL.

• *sighs it's kind frustrating to even reply here I'm not confused lol I know the difference now it's the songs are recorded on a digital medium not on tapes like in the 80's

also I was addressing about the self produced part it doesn't have to be all self-produced.

Yes but BTS' mixtapes are predominantly self composed/produced, so what is your point?

• I genuinely don't get how releasing an album and not a mixtape would set more stones in their individual career ? This is legit the same thing, minus the pressure of charting and sales. It's not like they need money, LOL.

True! I think mixtapes made them more admirable because they just released it for free and can explore their artistic side without having to leave BTS. It shows they care more about freedom of creation than money or charting (as individuals not as a group)

i mean... you can feel this way all you want but it doesn't change what the members want lol. some fans always swear they know whats best for the members' careers when the members are well aware of what they want for themselves. and they all have a voice in bts' decisions as a group which we know for a fact.

i personally think the mixtape route works so well for them bc they can literally release their music whenever its completely ready by their own standard. official releases are on a schedule and then they have to have things sent out for production by a certain time ect ect. thats more pressure than some of the members want i think.

bts value their craft and they value their group. yoongi himself already has a blossoming career as a producer for other artists. this is just proof to me that bh will nurture the endeavors the members rlly want to go after.

who's your favorite artist?

• girl, I'm just saying what bighit said when the whole controversy happened I don't follow bts so I don't know

Then WHY are you in this thread? What is it about BTS that clapped non fans can't mind their own business? Nothing in this world can make me curious about BP enough for me to even click on a thread about them, so why does BTS get the opposite reaction from people like you? This could have just been an informative thread for new ARMY, but blinks like always can't mind their own business.

• Another reason they said a long time ago but I forgot the source is that they chose to release mixtape instead of solo album because they don’t want the burden of commercial success.

What that mean is mixtape is the member pet project, not main. They can have whatever songs they want without worrying whether it will be well received. It’s their creative outlet outside of BTS, but without all the seriousness/ officialness of a solo album. They only work on mixtape on their free time so it doesn’t cut in bts main time working as a group.

Like others said mixtape used to be completely free and can only be found on SoundCloud but due to fans request, they added it on several paid platform like iTunes and spotify because fans want to stream it easily together with bts other discography. However it can still be listen for free. The idea of mixtape is still the same. Suga and hobi mixtape charting is just a byproduct of fans enthusiasm and bts current popularity but the ambition was never meant for it to chart or anything.

To our consumer eyes maybe mixtape and solo album are the same but to them the process of making them might be different.

• Then WHY are you in this thread? What is it about BTS that clapped non fans can't mind their own business? Nothing in this world can make me curious about BP enough for me to even click on a thread about them, so why does BTS get the opposite reaction from people like you? This could have just been an informative thread for new ARMY, but blinks like always can't mind their own business.

I'm barely in any bts thread (unless it's linked to blackpink) so don't even try to make it about that. I really don't check my history. I was interested in the thread since I also wondered about that it isn't that deep and I didn't even say anything bad or offensive.

why people can have normal and civil discussions on a forum without being attacked. I don't have that problem with other fandom. I really didn't anything offensive.

• Thank you so much for your time typing this<3, now i understand the difference! I'm so excited for jungkook mixtape i really loved "Your eyes tell, Still with you, Stay and Decalcomania!" He's so talented🥺🤍!

• Are the mixtape songs fully written by the artist himself?

Solo album songs written by the producers and the artists may help them right?

Omg is that mean the rap line have written all THE MIXTAPES BY THEMSELVES!!!! the mixtape really better than the solo album it show us how much talented the artist are!

• Then WHY are you in this thread? What is it about BTS that clapped non fans can't mind their own business? Nothing in this world can make me curious about BP enough for me to even click on a thread about them, so why does BTS get the opposite reaction from people like you? This could have just been an informative thread for new ARMY, but blinks like always can't mind their own business.

stream

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Omg is that mean the rap line have written all THE MIXTAPES BY THEMSELVES!!!! the mixtape really better than the solo album it show us how much talented the artist are!

i mean

there's no reason why they cant work on a solo album

lol

• @OP pls don't be shy in asking any of the questions you want . You're gonna quickly understand that we ask all sorts of questions here lmao .

I assume you're an new army from the dp. when did you become one?

Thank you! Yes i'm hehe >.<

Since last October !

Haha how did you knew from my dp? I'm curious 0-0

I'm not a music person so I can't give you an answer. There are many component of "writing" a song. BTS are main producers for most of the songs but not all. Some songs are they lyricists, or some songs they arrange it. Overall, they are way more involved with the creative process and the songs are more personal to them. That's the best I can say. They also work with other artists and producers both inside and outside of Bighit.

• Thank you so much for your time typing this<3, now i understand the difference! I'm so excited for jungkook mixtape i really loved "Your eyes tell, Still with you, Stay and Decalcomania!" He's so talented🥺🤍!

Thank you! Yes i'm hehe >.<

Since last October !

Haha how did you knew from my dp? I'm curious 0-0

It’s you JK dp. Would you like to be in the army and JK tag list? It’s basically a way to make sure you dont miss out exciting and important BTS / JK news.

And welcome to the fandom.

• This thread contains 69 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!