GFRIEND - What Went Wrong?

• I think it would've been better if Gfriend stick to their powerful-innocent songs like their early tracks because I really love that. Gfriend is the only group that can be cute but not too cute if that make sense. Ever since Fever I started to lose interest and Apple made me stop following them. I always waiting for them to release another cute songs like how they switch back after Fingertip to Love Whisper but I can't believe they disband instead. I wish the members good luck.

• Anyone think they're going to go at it together again with another company? Or is it really the end?

Potentially but its hard. I don't think many companies will sign an entire group. Only one I can think of is Block B but that happened pretty early on in their original contract I think. Few big companies would want to sign a full group (they'd rather debut their own so they can control them from day 1), but the smaller companies may not have the experience managing such a successful group.

It would have to be a company with 1 money (to pump into the girls promotions), 2 experience looking after a big group, 3 not too big so the girls would have a hard time competing for the companies attention for CB's etc, 4 big enough that if Source wants to use Hybe to pressure them they won't fold so quickly and 5 the ability to let the girls have the freedom they need (they have been overworked for so long, they need a more balanced schedule).

With all that the only ones I can think of from the top of my head are Hybe (since source was self sufficient in handling the girls promotions they may get a better deal with HYBE), P nation (but Psy has only signed soloists so far, all of whom tend to be pretty independent when it comes to making their own music etc and I don't know if the girls have ever written their own songs) or RBW mamamoo's label (meets 90% of the criteria but talk to any moo and they will say at times RBW can be crap when it comes to some aspects of promotions, but the girls and all groups under them have a huge amount of control over their schedules and music. Not to mention they manage the groups under them pretty well. Pretty much since early 2020 every month there is something a group under RBW, if its not an album, its a solo, concert or fan meeting. Just as we think we can save some money they release something new so they seem to manage the groups under them pretty well and when they want to take health breaks or just have holidays, the company seems pretty chill about it. Except vromance...).

• why you don't mention success with Moonlight, Crossroads, Apple and Mago?

Are you an anti?

With 73 music Show wins GFriend belongs to 10 most successful Girl groups in s-korea.

Moonlight was the only one had some kind of decent charting. Everything else u mentioned kinda bombed.

So their only hits are

Huge: Me Gusta Tu,Rough

Moderate : TFTMN, Navillera, Love Whisper

Small: Glass Bead

• Change of concept, lack of promotions, the scandals they had months ago, all of this must have affected them somehow. It's better they disbanded now that waited years which wouldn't be any different from their current situation and disband then

• You all are very dramatic, the reason behind "disbandment" is NOT being "unsuccessful". Once a group hits big, and releases more than one hit (in gfriend's case 5 hits) and is past 20 wins on public music shows, the group's brand remains huge forever. They were decently profitable considering how they were touring and selling well physically. The issue here is the acquisition, it made the agency which started broke but was saved by Gfriend go broke once again.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• You all are very dramatic, the reason behind "disbandment" is NOT being "unsuccessful". Once a group hits big, and releases more than one hit (in gfriend's case 5 hits) and is past 20 wins on public music shows, the group's brand remains huge forever. They were decently profitable considering how they were touring and selling well physically. The issue here is the acquisition, it made the agency which started broke but was saved by Gfriend go broke once again.

How is acquisition make the acquired company broke though? Forced payment of dividend to parent? Technically with a parent in place, the company should have more available funding sources

• How is acquisition make the acquired company broke though? Forced payment of dividend to parent? Technically with a parent in place, the company should have more available funding sources

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Considering the CEO started broke, I don't see it shocking. He was probably promised about moon and stars. He may thought that Big Hit does the acquisition, Gfriend will re-peak and so on. Only buddies can speak of how much they spent the last year lol. It was truly a shock. 3 comebacks with extremely high quality promotion, new dorms, a lot of new printed merch, the freaking reality show memoria went on for a whole year and was filmed in expensive places, a lot of new employees, new trainees and auditions.... THAT speaks, plus Gfriend couldn't tour anymore due to the pandemic which restricted their main source of income

I'm not sure but people also say the mother agency takes 80% of the profit, that was why Woollim ended their contract with SM

External Content www.youtube.com

• With 73 music Show wins GFriend belongs to 10 most successful Girl groups in s-korea.

I believe they actually have 71 wins.

So I'm curious then, what are your top 10 greatest girl groups? I'd probably go with something like this (listed in order of debut date):

S.E.S.

Fin.K.L

Wonder Girls

Girls' Generation

2NE1

Sistar

Red Velvet

Twice

Blackpink

Now that's nine groups. For the tenth, should it be GFriend or Mamamoo? Or perhaps an older group like Kara, T-ara, f(x), or Apink?

• External Content twitter.com

Considering the CEO started broke, I don't see it shocking. He was probably promised about moon and stars. He may thought that Big Hit does the acquisition, Gfriend will re-peak and so on. Only buddies can speak of how much they spent the last year lol. It was truly a shock. 3 comebacks with extremely high quality promotion, new dorms, a lot of new printed merch, the freaking reality show memoria went on for a whole year and was filmed in expensive places, a lot of new employees, new trainees and auditions.... THAT speaks, plus Gfriend couldn't tour anymore due to the pandemic which restricted their main source of income

I'm not sure but people also say the mother agency takes 80% of the profit, that was why Woollim ended their contract with SM

You all are very dramatic, the reason behind "disbandment" is NOT being "unsuccessful". Once a group hits big, and releases more than one hit (in gfriend's case 5 hits) and is past 20 wins on public music shows, the group's brand remains huge forever. They were decently profitable considering how they were touring and selling well physically. The issue here is the acquisition, it made the agency which started broke but was saved by Gfriend go broke once again.

Source isn't broke tho, they are getting debt financed by HYBE. Debt financing is a way the mother company finances their acquisitions and it very common actually, it's the most inexpensive way of financing subsidiaries and gives Tax advantages. KOZ and Pledis are also in debts to HYBE. Just because a company has debt doesn't mean they are going bankrupt or don't have any money, accounting and finances are not as simple as that.

pasted-from-clipboard.png

pasted-from-clipboard.png

• Well apparently Source employees have quit so something is definitely going on.

External Content twitter.com

• They did ok with Sunrise in 2019, almost got top 10 on Gaon, I kind of liked Apple of their latest comebacks.

They did sell over 80K Albums each comeback, one of may saves may have not sold 80K albums their whole career.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!