And if I said Rollin is bigger than Gee?

• I think Gee is still by far more influential. The comparison really is only fair a decade from now, to see which song has a stronger legacy.

• I will say you can say whatever you want. Doesn't make it true though

Gee created a fashion and dance trend. Multiple groups covered the song. It is known outside of Korea, pretty big hit in Japan and one of the song forefrunt during the hallyu wave.

You think Rollin is bigger sure think that way, it won't undo all the achievements Gee have made

• I mean rollin’s charting performance in korea is definitely impressive but gee had phenomenal charting in korea AND made a splash on the international scene and left a huge impact globally for kpop. Rollin’s success is currently still largely contained within sk; you won’t see headlines claiming “brave girls is taking the world by storm” like gee did for snsd, and so far no one’s gonna run to the nearest store to grab some chairs home unlike how the coloured jeans in gee were a craze back then lol. Gee’s legacy was huge and rollin’s still got a long way to go to reach it, let alone surpass it, incredible charting aside

• Gee was at #1 for a long while but fell out of the top 10 and top 100 relatively fast after it fell from #1. If I recall it only had 14 weeks in the top 10 and was in the top 100 less than a year.

It's legacy makes it seem bigger than it was (although still massive)

• Gee is a landmark release that defined a generation of kpop.

It is the kind of release that is important not just because of its statistical relevance or numerical performance, but because of its defining and lasting impact on an entire industry.

Gee is the song that launched arguably the most important girl group in kpop history, SNSD, into the stratosphere. It was the cultural genesis that connected with a Korean public in a way that reshaped the entire landscape of Korean Pop to usher in a golden age of Korean girl groups spearheaded by SNSD, who would go on to household name status and penetration of Korean cultural consciousness.

It's a "historic" song in this way. The kind you'd refer to in textbooks about kpop to evoke the concept and set the scene of an entire industry and phenomenon.

Gee is one of a handful of songs you can count on one or two hands that are cultural touchstones in this way.

So in my opinion, it remains ascendant and "bigger" than Rolling, despite the latter's success.

I think we'd have to ask this question in 10 years to see what kind of legacy Rolling has. Its ascent is too recent to really assess.

• Nah not even close.

Gee wasn't just a successful song, it was phenomenon, it was like a before and after moment for kpop.

SNSD was catapulted into mega stardom (and their influence is even bigger than Gee's), it was used constantly either as lives or bgms to shows, it swept awards/show wins, it was a gateway song to kpop, it spread hallyu across the world. It managed to do all that while fighting off extremely firece competition from songs like Sorry Sorry, Genie, Abracadabra, Mister, I don't care etc anyone of which could've been SOTYs if Gee didn't exist (man 2009 was a stacked year)

It wasn't temporary either, Gees success continued well after rekease - I got into kpop in early 2010 and Gee was STILL regularly played on TV shows and SNSD were still performg and heavily associated with it despite releasing new songs (which also ruled that charts at the time). If I didn't know any better I'd have thought it was released in 2010. That significance continues to this day, over a decade later, as not only is it's still fondly remembered but regularly covered by newer groups.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!