Biggest hits in Korea by 3rd generation groups

• I’m not an expert but from my acknowledge these are the biggest hits by 3rd generation groups in Korea:

-EXO: Growl (2013)

-BTS: Spring Day (2017)

-TWICE: Cheer up (2016)

-BLACKPINK: DDU-DU DDU-DU (2018)

-Red Velvet: Red Flavor (2017)

-IKON: LOVE SCENARIO (2018)

-Winner: Really Really (2017)

-SEVENTEEN: Aju Nice (2016)

-WANNA ONE: Energetic (2017)

About other groups I genuinely have no idea, if some wants to add other groups go ahead I’m curious as well.

• Some might say it's HYLT or even LSG or even AIIYL

All these 3 songs are looking to surpass D4 50 weeks inside the 100

Aiiyl is currently their longest charting song with 65 weeks

AIIYl got 67 weeks on Gaon, unless you're referring to Melon.

:pepeflushed:

I like my solid list, although I would include 2 more to this comment: TT and Growl

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Some might say it's HYLT or even LSG or even AIIYL

All these 3 songs are looking to surpass D4 50 weeks inside the 100

Aiiyl is currently their longest charting song with 65 weeks

I think its easier to stay charting on Melon now compared to before I dont think HYLT or LSG can beat as if its your last. or D4

HYLT and LSG are hits but D4 and As if its your last are national hits tbh.

• I think its easier to stay charting on Melon now compared to before I dont think HYLT or AIIYL can beat as if its your last. or D4

HYLT and LSG are hits but D4 and As if its your last are national hits tbh.

I think you’re giving AIIYL a lot. It has monster longevity over 4 years, but HYLT and LSG both have initial performance and initial longevity over AIIYL. Plus, they actually charted on Gallup. If AIIYL is a national hit, then both of those are regardless of chart change. HYLT went #1 more weeks before the chart change anyway and the longevity is an added bonus. You could argue LSG, but it’s not like LSG was close in weeks with AIIYL for top 10 at all. LSG’s longevity is certainly outstanding.

• I think you’re giving AIIYL a lot. It has monster longevity over 4 years, but HYLT and LSG both have initial performance and initial longevity over AIIYL. Plus, they actually charted on Gallup. If AIIYL is a national hit, then both of those are regardless of chart change. HYLT went #1 more weeks before the chart change anyway and the longevity is an added bonus. You could argue LSG, but it’s not like LSG was close in weeks with AIIYL for top 10 at all. LSG’s longevity is certainly outstanding.

We will have to see how quick it gets 100m streams/2.5m downloads compared to AIIYL.

• This is the most discussed topic on AKP.

Like, you see threads like this every week.

I just want to say,

EXO's Growl is one of the biggest hits of all-time and one with significant impact. Everyone in S.k knew about it even defectors from North Korea said this song was used to propose to their Crush and things like that.

So many rookies are covering it almost every year, played on TV on all the time.

The original CULTURAL RESET.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I love Pikachu.

Always have, Always will.

"Pika-Pi"

• We will have to see how quick it gets 100m streams/2.5m downloads compared to AIIYL.

These will take forever to reach 2.5m downloads.

Even BTS songs also took longer time as downloads no longer the way of music consumption

But streaming certification should give us a good idea of how well the song did

• Anyway, since the thread is taking the usual direction of mixing up true huge hits with lesser hits, these are the real huge hits:

BTS - Spring Day (6/6)

BTS - Boy with Luv (6/6)

TWICE - Cheer Up (6/6)

BTS - DNA (6/6)

BTS - IDOL (6/6)

Red Velvet - Red Flavor (6/6)

Dynamite would probbaly make it as well, but its too new.

If anyone has the list of cumulative Melon ULs, it could be informative as well, it would be pretty good indicator of true biggest hits.

Also, its time to add ON to the discussion, since people claim songs with less ULs are huge hits.

• Yeah, agreed, this topic pops up every few weeks at least once.

Just playing devil's advocate here, since I'm not really that invested in the topic (since it's been done to death over the years): but why would Massivekpopfan's (no offence, MassiveKpopFan) be the only/best way to measure what's the best songs, as if they're the gospel and infallible?

It all depends on what criteria are being used, but we all have a feeling about what songs did great in each year, and criteria and their weight might change over the years, depending on all kinda circumstances.

They might be good indicators if 'inflation correction' and other transforming variables are taken into account.

Also, if you want to use MassiveKpopFan's set of criteria (which I'm not saying they're the Holy Grail standard - just one collection of criteria that can be used), then there should be 2 additions to the list, TT and Growl (see below).

AIIYl got 67 weeks on Gaon, unless you're referring to Melon.

:pepeflushed:

I like my solid list, although I would include 2 more to this comment: TT and Growl

Overall, I think it's hard (at least if you want to do it right) to compare metrics over 10 years or more, since the K-pop scene and music listening scene changes a lot over those years. What contributed to have a song make an impact in one year, might be significantly different years later. If you want to compare across a wide span of years, the gradual changes should be taken into account.

A good example is album sales, 100-200k for gg and 300-400k for bgs was already considered great 10 years ago, but just ok and not that special nowadays. Same for digital downloads and streaming, how things were back then was different and slowly changed, until how it is today.

And that's not even taking into account that when a group for example is 10 times more popular than other groups, all their songs will by default have more longevity and exposure than if that same song would've been released by another group, even if the song is about going to the toilet, or having a cup of coffee. So is the song that big just because of the song, or mostly as a result of a group being big? (see Brave Girls megasuccess w a 4 yr old song, for example) But that's maybe a topic for another discussion.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

Edited 2 times, last by FoReveries ().

• Growl has no objective criteria to be on any list, other than its Gallup ranking. If it didnt rank as well on Gallup, for 2 years, I would think it's relevance was another thing kpop fans simply made up. Its a hit, but not on the level of truly big ones like Spring Day/BWL/Dynamite, it would be in second tier big hits with DNA, IDOL, D4, LS and other songs with similar level of achievements.

TT is overrated compared to Cheer Up based on data.

Any subjective "my friends say it has impact" or "its covered on kshows" is by definition biased and should not be included in deciding the biggest hits. Otherwise we end up with BTS's Fire as the biggest hit ever. Kshows are biased by company connections, the covers are impacted by which older groups fanbase the newer groups want to appeal to and kpop fans opinions on impact are just that, opinions, based on second, third or fourth hand information filtered through biased reporting and biased other fans.

• Just playing devil's advocate here, since I'm not really that invested in the topic (since it's been done to death over the years): but why would Massivekpopfan's (no offence, MassiveKpopFan) be the only/best way to measure what's the best songs, as if they're the gospel and infallible?

She likes my criteria, but in no way do I claim to know-all. I just like to analyze this stuff so I know a good majority of statistics regarding what makes a hit a hit.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• You're using another of my threads again lol

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• You're using another of my threads again lol

I was actually trying to search for the thread with Melon cumulative ULs, but this came up, so I used it lol and stopped trying to find the thread I had in mind :flying:

I think this method is more valid than the blink one.

• I was actually trying to search for the thread with Melon cumulative ULs, but this came up, so I used it lol and stopped trying to find the thread I had in mind :flying:

I think this method is more valid than the blink one.

That thread is gone, it was on the old forum.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Growl has no objective criteria to be on any list, other than its Gallup ranking. If it didnt rank as well on Gallup, for 2 years, I would think it's relevance was another thing kpop fans simply made up. Its a hit, but not on the level of truly big ones like Spring Day/BWL/Dynamite, it would be in second tier big hits with DNA, IDOL, D4, LS and other songs with similar level of achievements.

TT is overrated compared to Cheer Up based on data.

The fact that it not only appeared once but twice on Gallup's ranking is already a strong indicator of the impact of a song with the general public in SK. Only a handful of songs have been able to do that (among them Growl, TT and Red Flavor).

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• I feel like psycho is atleasr red flavor level? Twice - TT? BlackPink - HYLT?

• BWL is bigger than Spring Day. Spring Day was only #1 for one week, BWL was the breakout hit that launched them as a supergroup.

• I feel like psycho is atleasr red flavor level?

I think that Psycho's rise to megapopularity and success got hobbled and hampered by the fact that due to Wendy's major injury at SBS, which instigated RV's 1.5 year hiatus, Psycho's promotion got cut short abruptly right at the start, and by the fact that Psycho got released around the same time as the #1 and #2 on Gaon's 2020 annual chart, Changmo's Meteor and Zico's Any Song.

While Psycho did exceptionally well in spite of that, because of those factors Psycho's ability to rise and shine was less than it could have, and less than the song deserved.

SWJ1P.gif

• The fact that it not only appeared once but twice on Gallup's ranking is already a strong indicator of the impact of a song with the general public in SK. Only a handful of songs have been able to do that (among them Growl, TT and Red Flavor).

Boy with Luv and IDOL also charted on Gallup twice.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• BWL is bigger than Spring Day. Spring Day was only #1 for one week, BWL was the breakout hit that launched them as a supergroup.

Do you enjoy lying? Their breakout hit in Korea was Fire.

BWL being #1 for 3 weeks doesn't change that Spring Day is on the same level as IU's Through the Night, which would make it one of the top 5 songs of the 2010s in Korea.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• I feel like psycho is atleasr red flavor level? Twice - TT? BlackPink - HYLT?

Psycho is not on the level of Red Flavor in Korea. At least not yet. Red Flavor is also helped due to its status as a seasonal song that recharts during the summer.

HYLT needs to have more longevity but it had one hell of a start.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• The fact that it not only appeared once but twice on Gallup's ranking is already a strong indicator of the impact of a song with the general public in SK. Only a handful of songs have been able to do that (among them Growl, TT and Red Flavor).

Yes,thats why I pointed out its Gallup performance. Based on other measures, like year end charts, it didnt perform well.

Also many BTS songs charted after the year they were released: Spring Day, DNA, IDOL, BWL. Probably Dynamite will too, lets see.

• Do you enjoy lying? Their breakout hit in Korea was Fire.

BWL being #1 for 3 weeks doesn't change that Spring Day is on the same level as IU's Through the Night, which would make it one of the top 5 songs of the 2010s in Korea.

Rly? I actually thought BST was their hit, was Fire bigger?

Also i agree with Red Flavor, it has become like All I want for christmas for summer lmao. I have no doubts psycho would have longetivity tbh? What do you think about TT? I personally think that was bigger hit than Cheer Up as they surpassed everything that Cheer Up did.

• Rly? I actually thought BST was their hit, was Fire bigger?

Also i agree with Red Flavor, it has become like All I want for christmas for summer lmao. I have no doubts psycho would have longetivity tbh? What do you think about TT? I personally think that was bigger hit than Cheer Up as they surpassed everything that Cheer Up did.

No, FIRE is truly what made them recognizable. Even today, it's played on variety shows when something intense happens. The instrumental's build-up and Yoongi's "bultaoreunae" is iconic. Honestly, every song from FIRE-Boy with Luv was huge in Korea.

Psycho charted for 50 weeks in the top 100 of Gaon, Red Flavor did 64 in its initial run. Psycho is a huge hit for RV in terms of international Kpop communities, but in Korea? I don't know.

TT is overshadowed by Cheer Up, and honestly DTNA is on the same level as TT (it has the 2nd best longevity [61 weeks] of Twice's Korean singles, and it's also a summer song which gives it a leg up over TT).

Cheer Up is bigger in Korea in every way compared to TT except music video views.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

Edited 2 times, last by MassiveKpopFan ().

• This thread contains 9 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!