What’s the point in having all these subunits when their releases are gonna end up sounding and looking the same?

• ???? 28

1. Definitely a REACH (14) 50%
    2. they might have a point actually (14) 50%

Hmmm not my words but I kinda agree to some degree. Though I do love the teaser and I think the Busta Rhymes sample (praying SM properly sampled) is great.... I do feel like any sub unit from NCT could’ve sang this song tho :wellr:

Are their words a REACH? Or has SM gotten lazy at making distinctive sounds for each sub unit ?

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

I personally find recent sm bg songs sound pretty interchangeable so not much of a reach to me.

So true. Not a single difference. :siptear:

External Content www.youtube.com

• Do you really mean the songs "sound the same" or "are very interchangeable" between the sub-units?

I'm assuming the latter.

I tried going thru some of the NCT records a coupla months back, but I was mostly focusing on NCT 127 (listened to Empathy & Resonance as well). So I don't know how the subunits are supposed to differ. I will say that based on the teaser, the track does sound like it could easily have been given to 127 without anyone batting an eye.

So I'm genuinely asking what the difference in sound is supposed to be.

• So true. Not a single difference. :siptear:

I AM CRYING, if someone says ATLANTIS AND HOUSE PARTY IS similar. :pepe-life-support:

The way WayV has its own distinctive genre which is their signature mark and yet people wanna clown with EVERY NCT UNIT SOUNDS SAME OR SM BGS= NCT DRAFTS.

I'll be honest DONT CALL ME was not a typical SHINEE sound but it wasn't NCT draft either. It clearly was an experimental track with lots of mix and matching of instruments.

• Only people who know nothing about Dream's discography would say this

And the way people claim every SM title track nowadays sounds like a NCT song just proves how much their sound has been strongly established in the Kpop music industry. 2x They have an entire genre :claps:

Throwback to that time someone made a thread to lament about how all SM BGs sound like NCT now and how all NCT songs are the same and their main argument was that Make A Wish and Resonance sounded similar :pepe-sad:

• I'm assuming the latter.

I tried going thru some of the NCT records a coupla months back, but I was mostly focusing on NCT 127 (listened to Empathy & Resonance as well). So I don't know how the subunits are supposed to differ. I will say that based on the teaser, the track does sound like it could easily have been given to 127 without anyone batting an eye.

While there's undoubtedly a common NCT sound within their discography (because they're under the same brand after all), most of their overall sound leans into different directions. NCT 127 is definitely more EDM, hip-hop/trap driven, NCT Dream leans more into (bubblegum) pop (mainly their earlier sound, nowadays it sounds more like a more "mature" pop sound) while WayV is unmistakably the R&B-oriented unit. You can hear this difference in sound very clearly if you listen to their full albums.

The best way to truly grasp a group's sound is through their b-sides. This applies to other groups from different companies as well.

Comparing title tracks is tricky because usually SM uses the same structures and producers. At the end of the day, a Moonshine song is always going to sound like a Moonshine song, no matter who sings it. Take RV's Naughty and SJ D&E's No Love as an example.

I'm curious as to what songs in specific made you feel this way. Can you name examples? There are indeed some NCT Dream songs that would also fit 127's sound (as there are some 127 ballads that sound like EXO's, mainly because the same songwriters were involved), but it's definitely not every case lol.

Only people who know nothing about Dream's discography would say this

Throwback to that time someone made a thread to lament about how all SM BGs sound like NCT now and how all NCT songs are the same and their main argument was that Make A Wish and Resonance sounded similar :pepe-sad:

Most people claiming the same as OP have probably never even heard a WayV song.

• Even the Dream songs that people claim sound like 127's (which amount to just one : Go lol) doesn't sound like 127 at all to me.

• While there's undoubtedly a common NCT sound within their discography (because they're under the same brand after all), most of their overall sound leans into different directions. NCT 127 is definitely more EDM, hip-hop/trap driven, NCT Dream leans more into (bubblegum) pop (mainly their earlier sound, nowadays it sounds more like a more "mature" pop sound) while WayV is unmistakably the R&B-oriented unit. You can hear this difference in sound very clearly if you listen to their full albums.

Thank you for this, really helpful.

I guess the confusion I might have with the explanation is the R&B stuff, because NCT127 seems to swing pretty evenly between trap and R&B on their albums, but I guess their R&B songs are a little more askew and WayV is more straightforward? Keep in mind I don't think I've heard a single WayV song (except for the ones that showed up on Empathy or Resonance).

Anyway, as for what makes me think that the upcoming song could be a 127 song, well it has that "experimental, hip-hop-infused pop" vibe a lot of 127's titles have. In particular it reminds me of Fire Truck. But then it's just a teaser, so whatever.

Finally, which one is Ten in?

Dream in a Dream is an absurdly beautiful song.

• Even the Dream songs that people claim sound like 127's (which amount to just one : Go lol) doesn't sound like 127 at all to me.

I wasn't thinking of Go actually, more 119 or Beautiful Time (it would have fit well into Neo Zone - obviously with some adaptations needed), but if we're going case by case we'd be grasping at straws lol. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Oh and don't forget Chewing Gum too :pepe-clown-gear:

I would say WayV's sound is the most different from the remaining units (and honestly, personally it's the sound that resonates the least with me). I would say it's more like "chill" R&B? I would suggest you to listen to their first full album Awaken the World. It's a very solid album and their overall sound is shown in a very straightforward way.

There was another snippet going around the internets and it sounded more retro 2000's boyband style to me. I think the snippet from the MV teaser might have been a dance break section. It'll be interesting to see how the song actually sounds in full. But like I said, I'm fully expecting a mix of genres because it's a typically SM thing to do for title tracks.

Some snippets for the b-sides came out and they sounded very much like Dream to me too.

Ten is in WayV and yes, Dream in a Dream is gorgeous. :yesr:

• I felt like that Boom boom song from NCT dream could be an NCT 127 song

Kick Back from Way V could be an NCT U (or maybe 127?) song

Cherry Bomb by NCT 127 could have suited NCT U and 90s love by NCT U could have been an NCT 127 track

Well NCTU isnt fixed anyway

So it can't have a distinct sound based on the members

When NCT127 released Touch everyone was saying they'd swapped with NCT dream (I guess dream released Go at that time?)

Both NCT 127 and Way V released Come Back and Regular I think?

But I couldn't tell you which unit was more suitable for that song

All their units have rap and mark is everywhere, bless him

• Official Post

I also don't really understand why people are judging the whole song based on the teaser. NCT teasers tend to pick a very specific instrumental and loop it. So yeah you know what one portion of the instrumental and one line sounds like, but it can end up being quite different.

Kick It and Punch literally just uses the dance break.

Boom barely gives you anything.

The longer snippet (literally the first clip in this video) that was released sounds almost nothing like the teaser.

• Do you really mean the songs "sound the same" or "are very interchangeable" between the sub-units?

I think this is a better way of putting things, I think the songs are more interchangeable between groups

• Apparently Chewing Gum sounds similar to Cherry Bomb :pepe-sad:

• I'm assuming the latter.

I think this is a better way of putting things, I think the songs are more interchangeable between groups

I pondered on this a few times before, now that I "rewinded" a little, for almost every group currently on SM's id0l roster. Pro: It keeps production costs low (Con) at the expense of highlighting what would make a song shine based on the strengths of who is performing it.

"Don't Call Me" is the perfect example. Boa, SHINee, and NCT should give distinct flavor or color to the song: solo, strong solo vocals and 2-3 part harmonies, and big unison choruses respectively. Having SHINee sing the chorus like NCT overlooks SHINee's unique "seasoning". Understanding the strengths of 23 NCT members isn't as easy as giving them whatever's "on the menu" for the day.

I know SM is patterning the "SM/NCT-verse" after the Marvel Universe. Marvel Studios movies all have a polished cinematic appeal, but you can't interchange or mistake a Dr. Strange, Ant-Man, or Blade movie.

It's something SM needs to be more mindful of in the future especially for the NCT "brand".

Typical "suits" aren't going to be aware of these kind of nuances though.

• "Don't Call Me" is the perfect example. Boa, SHINee, and NCT should give distinct flavor or color to the song: solo, strong solo vocals and 2-3 part harmonies, and big unison choruses respectively. Having SHINee sing the chorus like NCT overlooks SHINee's unique "seasoning". Understanding the strengths of 23 NCT members isn't as easy as giving them whatever's "on the menu" for the day.

I know SM is patterning the "SM/NCT-verse" after the Marvel Universe. Marvel Studios movies all have a polished cinematic appeal, but you can't interchange or mistake a Dr. Strange, Ant-Man, or Blade movie.

It's something SM needs to be more mindful of in the future especially for the NCT "brand".

Typical "suits" aren't going to be aware of these kind of nuances though.

Where? :whatb: To me it's where it sounded more like typical SHINee sound, along with the bridge.

• This thread contains 6 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!