Controversial opinion incoming #7

• I see a lot of people getting into arguments, or getting into quarrels with other fandoms or users over achievements and numbers, and honestly it just shows your insecurity. I'm not saying all of you guys are, but probably at least half of you guys

Lets face it, the reason you are obsessing over the numbers and get into quarrels with other users is not because you are "appreciative of your faves achievements/success", you are just showing your insecurity and afraid of the competition. Like god forbid if another group gets like 10 more views in the first 24 hours of MV release because you are afraid of the competition, and afraid that they will use this achievement and slap it into your faces.

Or MV views lets talk about it since I'm already there. Like going down into the metrics of how many % of your faves and OTHER PEOPLE'S FAVES MVs are made up of ad views and for what? Just so you can "appreciate" how successful your faves are? Bitch no. You are just afraid of the competition, afraid that other groups are doing more "ad-less views" than your faves. Or saying how many % of sales come from which country and how other country's sales aren't a good indicator of popularity or success and I'm like bitch what? Where is your life that you have to be so insecure that a % of sales or views come from another country, and deeming those numbers to be less than important, just so that your faves are seen to be more "successful"

Kinda feel like this is only a thing from late 3rd Gen onwards, where everyone is fixated on how many views in the last 24 hours, or how many first sale days and using this as a comparison to compare your faves success with other groups. I mean if you only care about your faves you should compare it with their previous sales and be happy that they did better, not compare with other BGs/GGs and using it as a tool to weaponize the success of your faves

tldr: I'm just typing whatever comes to my mind

kthxbye

• Right

When you criticise kpop fans for being so obsessed with stats and achievements, they claim they're only proud of their faves success because they love them. But then they go ahead and obsess over stats of groups they don't even like and use those stats to drag or mock them so there's obviously a deeper problem here. For some reason the kpop community is full of people who are living vicariously through their faves success, and others who are incapable of making their own opinions without validation, there's no other reason why anyone would use their faves success to put others down, or use charts and sales to elevate their own taste in the eyes of others.

• Official Post

How can I give you all the hearts?????

I agree 1000%!!!

I don't understand the mentality of obsessing over the stats of groups you don't like. Why are you wasting time and energy on groups you claim you don't like or care for? Why not just take that time to enjoy your own faves instead? There are a lot of groups I love and I don't follow any of their stats. If I happen to see a tweet or spot a MV close to a YouTube milestone, I'll give it some streams, but I'm not out actively looking for YouTube stats for any group.

I love my groups, but honestly other than a few select milestones, I can't tell you shit about their sales, streams, followers, subscribers, etc. The only group I can tell you about at this exact moment is Astro because I just wrote lexicon articles for their albums and I'm following their comeback at the moment. When NCT Dream makes their comeback, I will keep an eye on their performance too.

It's perfectly fine to follow achievements and figures in support of your faves, but do it so you can celebrate those moments with them and not so you can drag others. I was over the moon for Astro because they got a number one song on Genie because I know it was something they were hoping to happen for this comeback. I do not follow music show wins unless my ults are in the running, but I have been following them for Astro and look at this moment. This is why I pay attention during comebacks because I know how hard they've worked and how much this moment means to them. In this moment it doesn't matter if they aren't as successful as X group or more successful than Y group.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

More fans need to celebrate the success of their faves and stop worrying about how other groups are doing. If you're obsessing over another group's stats then you're not feeling the actual happiness of success.

• I absolutely agree.

There is an equation that is made between 'this group/song is pulling numbers' and 'this group/song is good', as if the value of a song was only as high as the money and the time the fandom spent on it. Which is, in my opinion, a very bad idea ( also if it was really the case, Black Swan would be at 2 billions right now on Youtube, just saying )

Anyway, I get that the fans want their favorite groups to do well, to break records and stuff. But if they don't it's fine. It doesn't say anything about a group, or a song's legacy.

• Not only that, numbers are also used as quality measurement. As if music charts were composed only by the highest quality songs. The same for YT views. It only shows you have more fans.

At one side you have people saying Koreans have bad taste because they only chart boring ballads and at the other you have people claiming charting as a measure of quality.

Popularity never was and never will be a synonymous of quality.

• Herein lies the problem of quantifying success.

Once people get fixated on the numbers rather than doing actual good things like discussing the choice of instrumentation and number of chords and how they did something clever here or there -- that's not a passionate crowd. That's just low-level fanning

The Producer, the choreographer, the People of the group performing all contribute work into the piece and if lots of people don't see what they do, that's like you spending potentially weeks on your speech to make it witty and short and memorable only to get yawns and lukewarm applause only for the good looking guy to get shrilly screams just for saying ooga booga school is ovah.

• Not only that, numbers are also used as quality measurement. As if music charts were composed only by the highest quality songs. The same for YT views. It only shows you have more fans.

At one side you have people saying Koreans have bad taste because they only chart boring ballads and at the other you have people claiming charting as a measure of quality.

Popularity never was and never will be a synonymous of quality.

Right? It's when people say they don't like the song (liking or not liking the song is based on subjective taste) and fans rebuttal is 'WELL CHARTS SAUS OTHERWISE' and I'm like bitch how does that even make sense?

• icyruios shared all of this controversial opinion. As a loyal servant, I think I am obligated to bring it back. In case anyone havent seen it yet. A good read.

Everyone bow down to the one and only. I feel like I have no rights to talk to you. LOL.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!