Hello new user old lurker

• Long time lurker of the old forum but never bothered to register.

I'm 36 Chinese-Australian and listening to kpop for almost 2 years now.

I have a favourite but i'll keep that to myself for now. :wink: No need to expose oneself before the fun starts

• Go to Best Answer
  • Hey and welcome to the new AKP any questions or issues come to one of us

no just keeping a low profile for now...lurked on the old forum long enough to generally figure things out. Thanks for asking though :)

I'm just wondering when the first "fight" will break out and what the topic will be.

I suspect some variation of "paved the way" - oh look there's already like at least two paved the way threads already ^^

• well how about this I'll post some random information about myself each day until i reveal my favs (if anyone cares :))

today random info:

I'm male

• TRI (Today's Random Information)

I used to collect and play an assortment of card games such as Pokémon, Magic the Gathering, Yugioh

I still have a huge collection at my parent house.

If I recall correctly I have a first edition holo Charizard (its worth a lot of money i think)

• TRI

I like basketball i watch it and play it

my fav player of all time is the goat michael jordan but currently i like Javale McGee

my fav teams right now are Golden State and the Lakers

• TRI

I like to play an assortment of games including board games, cards etc.

Some of my favourite games include

Mahjong

Cards - poker (but I'd much rather be the dealer lol), asshole, snap whatever its all good to me.

Chess - I used to compete in school but don't have much time for it anymore

Army Chess - How to Play Army Chess / Luzhanqi / 陸戰棋 – Yellow Mountain Imports (ymimports.com)

Chinese Chess - this was one of the first games I learned from my grandfather

Various Card games - which I've mentioned above

Computer Games - I like strategy (warcraft, starcraft, AOE) and RPGS (I love baldur's gate) don't really like action or first person shooters - used to play LOL

• TRI

When I first came to Australia I couldn't speak any English other than Gameboy (cos my mother had just brought me one from HK - the original GB with tetris).

My parents had signed me up to the local primary school but they said because i couldn't speak english i had to attend a language school which they didn't want me attending cos it was 2 bus trips away.

The principal struck a deal with my parents that I had to learn English in three months otherwise I would have to attend the language school. My parents agreed.

During normal class times my principal would take me out of normal classes and tutor/teach me one on one using flash cards of english words and pictures. At night my parents would do the same.

I learned English in one month and to this day I still have fond memories of that principal.

His name was Mr. Henderson

• TRI

Music Preferences (pre-kpop)

I started with listening to lots of old Chinese classics that my parents would play such as:月亮代表我的心 Yue liang dai biao wo de xin 鄧麗君Teresa Teng,pinyin - YouTube

As I got older got into Cpop and Mpop

4 heavenly kings, Twins (I was quite a fan back then), Kelly Lim, Gigi Leung, Sammi Cheng etc

One of my favs: 陳奕迅 Eason Chan《十年(國) [OT : 明年今日]》[Official MV] - YouTube

As a kid I was bullied quite heavily as I was the only Chinese kid in my school so somehow I got into rap and discovered that which would become my ult - Eminem. His songs mean so much to me and two years ago when he toured I got to see him in concert in person which was one of the most fulfilling experiences in my life.

(I won't mention my fav song of his yet but I'll leave you with this classic Eminem - White America (Official Music Video) - YouTube which is a pretty accurate depiction of USA right now.

Then a couple of years ago got into kpop but that's another story for another day.

• TRI

i like and collect letter openers yes the things that look like little knives that you csn use to open letters.

i have about a dozen and a funny story is my then gf accidentally tried bring one in her csrry on lugguage until security sternly asked her why she was trying to bring s knife onto a plane

• TRI

Movies

I have seen every one of the MCU movies and my favourite is Infinity Wars

My favourite western movie is Jerry Maguire

I really like sci-fi, fantasy and action movies since I'm a dude so things like LOTR, Terminator and Star Wars

I can watch horror but its probably my least preferred genre.

I don't mind a Rom-Com but only in small doses and depends on the actors/actresses involved.

My favourite chinese (inc HK) movie is Fly Me to Polaris - i really like the song in the movie Starwish by Cecilia Cheung (Fly Me to Polaris) Translation - YouTube

I like a lot of the action movies from HK growing up like with Jet Li and Jackie Chan.

Another one of my favourites is Infernal Affairs which the movie The Departed is based on (I still prefer the HK version)

I love studio ghibli movies and have watched almost all of them

My favourite is Laputa - Castle in the Sky because I watched it prior to coming to Australia

Hayao Miyazaki is a living legend of anime and I will be really sad when he passes.

One of my first animes that I watched was Akira the movie

• TRI

Foods

I can and probably will literally eat anything

I've mentioned previous here that I've tried dog but also water cockroach

My favourite foods are mooncakes, lychees, Longans, all types of seafood (especially Lobster) and Sachima https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sachima

I generally don't like bitter foods so no coffee for me and I hate bitter melons.

If I ever go to Japan I would probably want to try Whale

• TRI

I'm married and have a son

i've been married for 5 years now and my son is 3 years old

i've played him some kpop and he seems to like dancing to it.

he's handsome and cute enough to be a kpop idol i think

he's too smart for his own good and will be handful in the future (hell he already is right now)

• TRI

I do not like nor can drink alcohol. My face goes red after 1 glass of wine or a can/bottle of beer.

I think I might have something in my genes which does that - both my parents are also light/non-drinkers.

Apparently I tried Sake while in China 4 years ago and surprisingly my body tolerated that.

One of my worst alcohol experiences was when my friend invited me for lunch

He made seafood pasta and I had two glass of white wine (standard glass) when I went home I vomited, I slept and I got myself a headache so I guess I was hungover from two glasses of white wine with food.

I will usually get tipsy if I have one shot of anything hard and thus I have never ever been truly drunk in my life.

• Nice to meet you man. You seem like a cool guy.

I'm going to follow you.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• TRI

Today will be less about myself and more hope to this thread for some akorn giveaways

• Sad... :waterr::waterr:

I thought that I will find here answers...

your answers are wrong btw but at least here you'll learn about myself so you can better think of the answers. I do like the tenacity of your convictions

• TRI

My favourite book of all time is Sun Tzu'a Art of War. I like books on strategy and business.

I've also read Machevalli's the Prince, Von Clauzuwitz's On War

I enjoy fantasy as well such as LOTR, Harry Potter, A song of fire and ice, dragonLance, Forgotten Realms

I like books like Dale Carnegie 7 habits of highly effective people, getting to yes.

I like to read books about successful people, trump, Obama, Lance Armstrong,

• TRI

From this thread Akorn Giveaway - The Lounge - allkpop forums

I will now reveal the answers to the three questions

1. I have mentioned somewhere here on AKP who my favourite artist of all time is - but what is my favourite song of all (Hint: it's by the same artist) Eminem - Stan

2. Who is my kpop ultimate bias? I have never disclosed who that person is and it may not even be from a group that I like. Jisoo from Blackpink

3. I have previously mentioned that I only became a kpoppie since 2019 - what was the song which converted me/made me like kpop? (Hint: It's not the first kpop song I've heard but its the one that made me go huh - maybe I should give this kpop thing a try) Ddu-Du Ddu-Du - Blackpink

1. Fun fact that the word stan in kpop actually comes from this song about an obsessive fan who goes crazy over Eminem.

This is iconic - Eminem feat. Elton John

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

2. I first liked her since she was pretty but then as you get to see her more you find out that she personality shines 1000x brighter than her looks. Oh she can also sing and lowkey rap. She ain't Miss Turtle Rabbit Korea for nothing.

One of her best covers showing her voice, elegance and beauty

Looking forward to her own solo and snowdrop

3. Like a lot of fans who got into kpop because of either BP or BTS it ws DDDD for me when I watched the MV - I was like who the hell are these girls - they can sing, rap, dance and they're pretty - so I looked into them further and then other groups as well...oh yeah that's a f***** bedazzled tank.

Here's their iconic Coachella performance

• :pepe-toast: jisoo queen

• TRI

There are a few groups which although I'm not a fully fan of I do enjoy their story or their career paths shall we say.

BB, IU and BTS

What each of these three groups have in common - i will say is resilience (this is one of the key values or traits in a person which i admire and hold strongly)

They all started out as nobodies - sometimes less than nobodies because no one gave them a chance they had to fight for and do everything themselves in order to succeed. A lot of times they could have given up pursued other careers - disbanded etc but they choose to stick around and tough it out - hard work perseverance and yes a bit of luck too.

BB and BTS literally created YG and BH today - but for their successes YG and BH would never have been as big as they are. I'm not that familiar with the history of EDAM (former LEON entertainment)

They are all artists instead of being mere kpop idols - they write, compose and produce their own music. All three have cemented their place as legends.

• Wow, reading your first few (sorry to make my post about me, me, me)- you seemed similar to me except from a different generation. (Also i thot i knew you but i guess that was someone else). Ill follow you now fellow fantasy literature reader and kpop (blackpink) listener. Nice to know you.

• Wow, reading your first few (sorry to make my post about me, me, me)- you seemed similar to me except from a different generation. (Also i thot i knew you but i guess that was someone else). Ill follow you now fellow fantasy literature reader and kpop (blackpink) listener. Nice to know you.

no no its all good - its a forum after all so discussion is key - similar as in how? tell me more about yourself?

• TRI

I like philosophical debates and questions about morality and humanity and so forth

I like those weird tough questions like would you save the life of 1 innocent person over 5 guilty people or whatever.

I like the question posed in Dark Night whether to push the button or not.

I like question over utilitarianism v deontology

I like ethics and business and how it is applied

I actually like politics and religion - but only discuss it with the right people

I like history and how people continuously repeat the mistakes of before

• TRI

In addition to basketball I can play a variety of sports

I enjoy tennis but my stamina tends to give up on me.

I used to play Australian Rules Football and cricket when I was younger but not so much anymore

I can play soccer but I prefer to be goalkeeper.

Basically any team sports that involve a ball I can enjoy

Which also means I can watch any of the above and not get bored because I understand most sports.

• TRI

(just a short one today)

Housework

I absolutely hate vacuuming and sweeping and cleaning in that sense - I really dislike it but i don't mind doing other chores like laundry, gardening, washing the dishes etc but there is not a single vacuuming gene in my body.

• This thread contains 94 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!