Thoughts on this Seventeen controversy? [TW: violence]

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

At first I thought it was a shitty period joke but then a friend pointed out there was a man with a camera and women body pieces with blood allover. I looked for a similar thread here but found nothing. What do you all think about this?

• I mean it's art. If you don't like it, that's fine, but I don't think it should be used to personally attack Mingyu. I would want to know Mingyu's intentions with his work before making any assumptions anyways (not that he obligated to explain his work either though).

Though honestly, art can be dark or whatever, but it doesn't mean the artwork is what a person really believes, you know? Sometimes people like to explore darker thoughts or ideas through art, and that's perfectly normal and valid.

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• It was talked about before but I find it weird that people automatically go to "Oh he's a terrifying violent person" just from art. There are a TON of people who have dark themes in their art and I've never seen this kind of reception about them. The art was never even meant to be made public in the first place

I'm with a lot of other carats in thinking it's likely a jab at the fashion/modeling industries

• First of all there is already a thread of it, you could easily found it if you searched his name on forum so I dont understan whatever are you try to drag his name

Also

Mingyu loves to cut brand names, models from fashion magazines and makes collage from them. Also he always sprinkle blue, red paint to his collages. It's not blood. This is his art style.

I think he had no intention to disrespect women, wants to kill them, sexually harrast them.

Because of the fake bullying incident now netizens hate him and wants to show him as a rapist, psycho, bully, bad person. He is now punching bag of netizens. I am also so pissed at international fans stupid, disgusting comments in pannchoa. They were attacking Mingyu so badly.

They were even connecting the man with a cam in collage with hidden spy cams of women, nth room. I am speechless how can they think disgusting things like that. I never thought anything sexual in that collage beside the SEXy writing. And I think Mingyuadded the man with cam because he really loves photography as a hooby. Also he added men bodies to his collage too. And they even said it is a serial killer artwork and they comnected it with Nth Room incident !

I am so worried about his mental health about him. He is such a kindhearted person. He doesn't deserve this people's disgusting treatment to him.

ExlF1y2WUAMZH8l?format=jpg&name=large

ExlF3N8XIAMMRsH?format=jpg&name=large

ExlF4obW8AU7E_b?format=jpg&name=large

ExlF5tmXMAINA0W?format=jpg&name=large

• Have you never tried art as self expression? It can get pretty dark, you might surprise yourself.

He lives in the plastic surgery capital of the world and is under a lot of scrutiny physically as a K-Pop visual. I can think of several reasons he might use body parts and faux blood in collages without jumping to "he's expressing a desire to photograph dead women".

• You can’t just go nitpicking stuff to carry on with your own agenda to bash someone. This in no way was meant to be misogynistic, or to degrade women. People also pointed out the second collage also has male body parts, it just happened to be covered by red paint. Art is a form of expression, and conveys deeper message than what it appears to the naked eye. As a person who enjoys and does art, it seems like he is criticizing the fashion industry by showing good and bad through the two collages, I think many others also agree with that as well. Maybe the use of those body parts refer to the vulnerability of the models in the field because of predators or unbelievable standards, and pressure. In the past he has said something along the lines that he doesn’t have a good experience or he doesn’t like modelling. There is a saying “art should comfort the disturbed, and disturb the comfortable,” if he is doing this, then Mingyu is a great artist.

He also splattered red paint on the Seventeen magazine, that doesn’t mean he wants his members dead.

Literally, STOP psychoanalyzing people based on what doesn’t fit your agenda or belief.

Also, this was posted last year— I don’t get why people didn’t say anything then? It just seems like it’s a “you” problem to me.

People just need to leave him alone, let him pursue his hobbies. If he stops sharing what he likes with Carats, I am gonna blame the antis for this.

• I am not liking how people are making assumptions about him because of this. Calling him straight up horrible things without knowing the meaning of the art?

Like why would he agree to share this piece publicly at the first place, if it had any bad intentions?

I believe he was depicting the fashion industry which he knows very well of, since he is a part of it. But even that doesn't mean anything, people need to shut up with assumptions of the art, until artist explains it himself.

• It was discussed in a different thread. My thing is that why is it becoming an issue now when it was posted publicly last yr but no one batted an eyelash to it. Are people ignoring the fashion brands all over both images, 20th century fox, and London Fashion Week Men on purpose? If red splatter means blood then what is the yellow splatter suppose to represent on the pic with the handheld camera? Do people remember most fashion photographers in the industry are men? It also makes me wonder if people outside the fandom even know that Mingyu has an interest with photography and videography. He was learning about this stuff along side Wonwoo. Besides being the Editor in Chief and photographer for the Gose magazine (since the mag was his idea for a Gose ep), he also was the director, photographer, editor, etc... for the SnapShoot MV.

My guess is that someone is bringing up stuff now since they think he is "getting away with things" on the bullying allegation front. Most people were on his side especially with how things played out with the OPs so I am guessing some people didn't like that. They are also trying to dig and do psychoanalysis on every little thing the other members do but those got shut down pretty quick on pann. I kinda wonder how Pledis will handle this. I can see them possibly suing. They might not sue the people who post the bullying allegations but the people kinda stirring the pot is fair game for them.

Edited once, last by maobao ().

• You're being unnecessarily rude. The thread you linked was NOT specifically about this issue and the title was vague. So this is not a case of me failing to do my research.

Where exactly do you see me bash or psychanalyse him ? I have literally not even shared my own opinion. Some of you are really something else.

• Official Post

i read OP as chounim asking thoughts, not bashing. leaving thread open. it's different enough from the other thread to also be a new thread.

other thread is a lament that people need to stop bullying mingyu and chounim is asking what the forum thinks about the controversy/artwork.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!