JTBC’s official statement regarding ‘Snowdrop’ ( Koreans React)

• “JTBC will be revealing our statement regarding the drama Snowdrop once more. Even after our statement regarding Snowdrop was released, the critique and speculation has continued and we are delivering a revised statement in order to sort out these misunderstandings.

The controversy started due to one-sided information that combined the incomplete synopsis as well as a portion of the character introductions that had been leaked. Doubts expounded on these fragmented information while contents that were false were circulated as if they were true. Of course, this responsibility falls on the production team that failed to strictly keep these materials, that have yet to be refined, under wraps.

As such, JTBC will reveal a portion of the contents of Snowdrop and ask for your understanding.

1.Regarding the problem of disparaging the Democratic Movement, Snowdrop is not a drama that deals with the Democratic Movement. There is no set-up that has the male and female lead participating or leading the Democratic Movement. On the other hand, a character who is unfairly accused and suppressed as a spy during the military regime in the 80s will appear.

2.Snowdrop uses the background and theme of 1987’s political situation surrounding the presidential election and not the Democratic Movement. A fictional story will be told surrounding the military regime, the National Security Agency and how they possess vested interests, conspiring with the North Korean dictatorship to maintain power.

3.Under this backdrop, the main characters that appear are a North Korean agent and a National Security Agent that chases after him. They will not be characters that represent their own government or organizations. They are characters that will highlight the unscrupulous greed for power to reform the regime, as well as a critical view of the National Security Agency that actively supports this. As so, the criticism that Snowdrop is romanticizing espionage and the National Security Agency is irrelevant.

4.Regarding the description of the National Security Agent as “upright” is because he refused a powerful role domestically. Rather, he is disillusioned by his colleagues who have made it so that it evades the (NSA’s original purpose) of catching spies. Instead, he takes up an overseas role as a Black Agent. He also is someone who sticks to his principles and will see whatever he thinks is right to the end, while turning his back on the corrupt organization.

5.The character in the drama with the name “Chun Young Cho” has no relevance to the revered “Chun Young Cho”. However, we will be changing the name of the female lead due to the critique that is associates her (with the drama).

Based on the information above, we request that from now on, you will refrain from spreading and leading public opinion based on false information as if they were true. We hope that it will be acknowledged that such actions will cause severe damage and diminute the many creators that strive to make a good piece of work.

JTBC will do its best so as to receive good reviews through our complete drama.” cr

original post: theqoo

1. Well, they want this drama to be like Joseon Exorcist

2. The more I read, the more I don’t know what they’re talking about ㅋㅋㅋ

3. Just stop this drama

4. Disgusting

5. I guess they think we are idiots

6. So that means the drama will be aired..?

7. What is this official statement? Are you kidding? Do you think viewers are ignorant?

8. The producer team needs to study Korean history right away

9. Wow, after reading the statement, this drama should really be banned from broadcasting

10. I don’t understand even when I read the statement

https://www.knetizen.com/jtbcs…ement-regarding-snowdrop/

https://disq.us/url?url=https%…1nk2L-eCWQiE&cuid=5742681

Has nearly 150k on the petition.

Plot seems to be NSA agent who seems disillusioned by what his colleagues are doing a North Korean spy who was sent from NK who falls for the female lead and doesnt agree with what his government or the NSA are doing. The NSA agent will most likely chase after the NK agent thinking hes a bad guy but will most likely work with him by the end.

If anything they are still showing NSA as the bad guys and seem to show NK is a negative light also.

I think the drama shouldnt happen still because people are just not in the mood for this drama.

I understand the plot Snowdrop seems to be going for after this statement release but Koreans still not happy and I think if this drama airs people will get insane backlash in Korea.

• JTBC’s official statement regarding ‘Snowdrop’

JTBCs-official-statement-regarding-Snowdrop.jpg

“JTBC will be revealing our statement regarding the drama Snowdrop once more. Even after our statement regarding Snowdrop was released, the critique and speculation has continued and we are delivering a revised statement in order to sort out these misunderstandings.

The controversy started due to one-sided information that combined the incomplete synopsis as well as a portion of the character introductions that had been leaked. Doubts expounded on these fragmented information while contents that were false were circulated as if they were true. Of course, this responsibility falls on the production team that failed to strictly keep these materials, that have yet to be refined, under wraps.

As such, JTBC will reveal a portion of the contents of Snowdrop and ask for your understanding.

1.Regarding the problem of disparaging the Democratic Movement, Snowdrop is not a drama that deals with the Democratic Movement. There is no set-up that has the male and female lead participating or leading the Democratic Movement. On the other hand, a character who is unfairly accused and suppressed as a spy during the military regime in the 80s will appear.

2.Snowdrop uses the background and theme of 1987’s political situation surrounding the presidential election and not the Democratic Movement. A fictional story will be told surrounding the military regime, the National Security Agency and how they possess vested interests, conspiring with the North Korean dictatorship to maintain power.

3.Under this backdrop, the main characters that appear are a North Korean agent and a National Security Agent that chases after him. They will not be characters that represent their own government or organizations. They are characters that will highlight the unscrupulous greed for power to reform the regime, as well as a critical view of the National Security Agency that actively supports this. As so, the criticism that Snowdrop is romanticizing espionage and the National Security Agency is irrelevant.

4.Regarding the description of the National Security Agent as “upright” is because he refused a powerful role domestically. Rather, he is disillusioned by his colleagues who have made it so that it evades the (NSA’s original purpose) of catching spies. Instead, he takes up an overseas role as a Black Agent. He also is someone who sticks to his principles and will see whatever he thinks is right to the end, while turning his back on the corrupt organization.

5.The character in the drama with the name “Chun Young Cho” has no relevance to the revered “Chun Young Cho”. However, we will be changing the name of the female lead due to the critique that is associates her (with the drama).

Based on the information above, we request that from now on, you will refrain from spreading and leading public opinion based on false information as if they were true. We hope that it will be acknowledged that such actions will cause severe damage and diminute the many creators that strive to make a good piece of work.

JTBC will do its best so as to receive good reviews through our complete drama.” cr

original post: theqoo

1. Well, they want this drama to be like Joseon Exorcist

2. The more I read, the more I don’t know what they’re talking about ㅋㅋㅋ

3. Just stop this drama

4. Disgusting

5. I guess they think we are idiots

6. So that means the drama will be aired..?

7. What is this official statement? Are you kidding? Do you think viewers are ignorant?

8. The producer team needs to study Korean history right away

9. Wow, after reading the statement, this drama should really be banned from broadcasting

10. I don’t understand even when I read the statement

• Right on time OP, right on time.

I do know one thing, when this airs everyone will be watching.

Honestly i am done trying to understand knetz.

The character in the drama with the name “Chun Young Cho” has no relevance to the revered “Chun Young Cho”.

So they really do think people are idiots? "She's not related, we just gave her the exact same name and a similar/identical role to the real person, except with a made-up romance storyline!"

This press release was written by incompetents. The damage has been done, guys. It's nice that you're changing the name, but do you think Korean audiences are forgetting this mess? You've already torpedoed your ratings.

• those comments don't represent all knetz though some knetz are actually looking forward to her drama. I don't think the drama will have a negative effect on jisoo or blackpink, besides JTBC already explained deeply about the plot of the drama and changed her name

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

the  vid

• "Regarding the problem of disparaging the Democratic Movement, Snowdrop is not a drama that deals with the Democratic Movement. There is no set-up that has the male and female lead participating or leading the Democratic Movement... Snowdrop uses the background and theme of 1987’s political situation surrounding the presidential election and not the Democratic Movement."

The June Democratic Movement is what caused the 1987 presidential election. They are inextricably linked. This is like making a show about the BLM movement in June 2020 but not including George Floyd's death. That makes no sense whatsoever.

The character in the drama with the name “Chun Young Cho” has no relevance to the revered “Chun Young Cho”.

There are four women alive in Korea named Youngcho. Pull the other one.

•  ozymandias 16 minutes ago

It’s like making a show about BLM but then putting a black protagonist in a love plot with a white police officer

From the website.. honestly I can see the issue still.

• 2. The more I read, the more I don’t know what they’re talking about ㅋㅋㅋ

Well, I guess you should learn Korean better as a Korean :pepe-sad::pepe-sad:

• Again, without upvotes. So these comments don't show a representative amount.

There isn't a huge backlash in Korea about this as it's never trending on Naver and not even with the trashy fangirls on Nate.

No real evidence there's a huge resistance to this drama.

But I do think the drama will get huge ratings.

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

• I thought Naver remove trending search charts.

• There is actually quite a backlash, the petition to stop the production of the show has crossed 140k now.

• Again, this thread explains nicely why the statement is getting them in hot waters:

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!