Artists' big company privilege is earned and the claim that "most get in with their money, taking opportunities from real talents" is BS

• They need to be at least trainable to an adequate level, sure. They don't want to debut a member who can't keep up with the choreo. But the fact is, Big 3 can afford to take only the creme de la creme. Yet many Big 3 groups have "that" member.

People used to make threads about "Why is X in the group when they can hardly sing and Y has the same role and does it better, and they are hardly given anything to do?" These days you'd immediately get the appreciation thread of the group running in to rip your head off, but the fact is there are some debuted Big 3 idols who aren't talented and don't have the X factor. They're just there. I'd list some names, but I don't want to be bombarded with YouTube compilations proving me "wrong" all day.

But on the other hand it would also be a big risk for a small company to take on rich kids just because they're rich. If they're not bringing any other assets it's very unlikely their group will amount to anything, other than appearing in the occasional "under-rated girl groups" compilation YouTube video.

Too many inaccuracies and assumptions in your post. If big companies don't need the funds and connections their trainees can provide, it means that rich trainees getting into big companies is a matter of coincidence.

I can also name many idols from small companies that aren't particularly talented but still debuted anyway.

Well but even with applying all those it ain't easy to get fame/level/status of BIG3... This is why no one is using BIG4 even when BigHit is doing better than all BIG3 companies... Look at RBW or Cube, both have amazing artist yet no one would say that there is any privilege when debuting in those companies. Yeah it's better than random small/mid company but still it don't guarantee you high sales or 100 mln youtube views, as well as it doesn't guarante you entering charts.

Hype level is hella different so in this case SM, JYP and YG privilege will always exist.

Debuting in the big3 does not guarantee high sales, views and charting either and it also brings a different kind of burden other companies groups don't have to worry about.

• "Big3 privilege" isn't about whether the trainees are wealthy or not. It's about the company having the resources and connections to support them, connect them to promotional opportunities, get them on awards shows (smaller company idols get their broadcasting time cut), give them ads, etc. It's about whether the general public will notice the group just because they debuted under the "big3" (Big4 now) or whether they'll have to battle for recognition in small venues instead of having 20-something songs and doing arena shows. It's about industry connections, not the trainees themselves.

So yes, some groups start with more advantages than others. It's not about the trainees, it's about company connections and ability to promote.

then you are late because this ideology evolved into "big3 artists only get accepted because they're rich/connected" because everyone admits that there is a company privilege (I am not denying it nor is anyone in this thread) even idols know X company can provide them better so those who made it through, earned it. However, kpopies try to make it seem like it's not earned by making these rich background speculations.

lt64IYu.gif

• "Big3 privilege" isn't about whether the trainees are wealthy or not. It's about the company having the resources and connections to support them, connect them to promotional opportunities, get them on awards shows (smaller company idols get their broadcasting time cut), give them ads, etc. It's about whether the general public will notice the group just because they debuted under the "big3" (Big4 now) or whether they'll have to battle for recognition in small venues instead of having 20-something songs and doing arena shows. It's about industry connections, not the trainees themselves.

So yes, some groups start with more advantages than others. It's not about the trainees, it's about company connections and ability to promote.

I think you missed the point - Imgur

There was no denying "privilege" from large companies, however they were pointing out that the argument that rich companies accept wealthy trainees instead of talented ones, while perhaps an issue, is something that taints all of kpop, and more so smaller companies rather than the biggest.

• Official Post

I don't think it's that beneficial either that's why an established company with its own connections isn't in need of a rich kid unless they are the heir of Samsung or something lol. Also, on the contrary poor kids are way more beneficial than rich kids in the devotion department, because a rich kid could easily change their mind, quit then pay the debt.

I'd disagree with the rich kids being less devoted. In Korea competition is tough and a lot of parents wouldn't want their kids to spending their time in a company because there is a strong possibility their kid will not make it and just have massive debt to pay back. Rich kids have no such worries, they can focus on their debut knowing that if they don't make it they won't put too much of burden on their parents.

I'll use BTS as an example: Yoongi's parents were not supportive of him since they were poor and they could've very well convinced him to leave. Meanwhile Jimin's parents were well off as they put him in a dance school and encouraged him from the very beginning. I could use Hwasa an an example again, she became an idol knowing her uncle could afford it. I seriously doubt she would do it knowing her family was very poor.

• I'd disagree with the rich kids being less devoted. In Korea competition is tough and a lot of parents wouldn't want their kids to spending their time in a company because there is a strong possibility their kid will not make it and just have massive debt to pay back. Rich kids have no such worries, they can focus on their debut knowing that if they don't make it they won't put too much of burden on their parents.

I'll use BTS as an example: Yoongi's parents were not supportive of him since they were poor and they could've very well convinced him to leave. Meanwhile Jimin's parents were well off as they put him in a dance school and encouraged him from the very beginning. I could use Hwasa an an example as well she only was able to become an idol because of her uncle but without him I seriously doubt it.

I guess it depends on the family and their views.

lt64IYu.gif

• I'd disagree with the rich kids being less devoted. In Korea competition is tough and a lot of parents wouldn't want their kids to spending their time in a company because there is a strong possibility their kid will not make it and just have massive debt to pay back. Rich kids have no such worries, they can focus on their debut knowing that if they don't make it they won't put too much of burden on their parents.

I'll use BTS as an example: Yoongi's parents were not supportive of him since they were poor and they could've very well convinced him to leave. Meanwhile Jimin's parents were well off as they put him in a dance school and encouraged him from the very beginning. I could use Hwasa an an example as well she only was able to become an idol because of her uncle but without him I seriously doubt it.

And I'll use Super Junior as an example . Eunhyuk comes from a very poor family, they didn't even have a bathroom at home when he joined SM and debuted but his family was still very supportive of his dream to become a dancer and an idol. Meanwhile, Siwon, one of if not the richest idol as far as family background goes, became an idol against his family's will because they thought it was a waste of time and beneath him. Afaik his father has never attended a SJ concert unlike all the other members' parents.

All of these are separate cases and have nothing to do with which company these idols got into. There are rich idols in small companies and poor idols in big companies. This is why I think this whole narrative about rich kids getting into big companies because of their family background is unnecessarily cynical and dismissive.

• Official Post

And I'll use Super Junior as an example . Eunhyuk comes from a very poor family, they didn't even have a bathroom at home when he joined SM and debuted but his family was still very supportive of his dream to become a dancer and an idol. Meanwhile, Siwon, one of if not the richest idol as far as family background goes, became an idol against his family's will because they thought it was a waste of time and beneath him. Afaik his father has never attended a SJ concert unlike all the other members' parents.

All of these are separate cases and have nothing to do with which company these idols got into. There are rich idols in small companies and poor idols in big companies. This is why I think this whole narrative about rich kids getting into big companies because of their family background is unnecessarily cynical and dismissive.

Of course there are exceptions but there is a reason why majority of idols are middle class to rich especially in the 3rd gen, not really sure on 2nd gen though. In my first post I mentioned my mother's job and how she has referrals. Basically if she or anyone knows someone good for the job they can mention them to the company and while it doesn't guarantee them the job having an employee who can vouch for them doesn't hurt. I believe it is the same for some idols, and I don't think that is a bad thing. Connections are key anywhere.

• Of course there are exceptions but there is a reason why majority of idols are middle class to rich especially in the 3rd gen, not really sure on 2nd gen though. In my first post I mentioned my mother's job and how she has referrals. Basically if she or anyone knows someone good for the job they can mention them to the company and while it doesn't guarantee them the job having an employee who can vouch for them doesn't hurt. I believe it is the same for some idols, and I don't think that is a bad thing. Connections are key anywhere.

I understand your point and I agree with it, but my point is that being rich and connected doesn't necessarily get you a spot in the big3. Which is the new addition to the extensive assortment of arguments kpop fans use to dismiss and shade big3 idols.

• In 2nd gen we had more idols from poor background or lower middle class debuting even from big3.

Gen 3 we had more middle class and upper class

I really havent seen any 4th gen idols struggling atleast from the big3. Also i dont get the relation between idols being rich and big 3 privilege.

Big3 privilege exists and it's not about how trainees are treated, we had interviews from ex big 3 trainees where they clearly mentioned how bad trainees were treated.

It's about the instant visibility and fandom that big3+bh groups gets. The resources they have and connections is what makes big3 special compared to small companies. They are bound to have moderate success and have more chances for success comapred to groups from small companies.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!