What are characteristics of boy group marketed towards men?

• Go to Best Answer
  • doing sports in the MVs a lot

having a lot cars and motorbikes in the MVs

being surrounded by girls in the MV

having thicc muscular arms

talk like BM of Kard

do not wear makeup

Alpha male behavier

love to talk about politics

are heavy gamers

Maybe any of this ????

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• You should've have waited his ban to end :meme-life-support:

But everyone knows the answer, the same way Twice, BP and RV have a balanced different demographic of fans.

Btw T.O.P is handsome, don't compare him to the others 3 please, respect the only visual of BB :Reddit-Halleluiah:

𝕃𝕚𝕤𝕒 𝕗𝕣𝕠𝕞 𝔹𝕃𝔸ℂ𝕂ℙ𝕀ℕ𝕂

• Bro I have never seen male BM fan? Or am I blind?

But this kinda looks like spot on?

• Idk but it’s weird that groups with male fans r always highly valued for some reason but if they only appeal to girls then they r like not of value??or like having male fans proves something?? Idk it’s weird even in western stan culture it happens :eyes:

It's the prejudice bc "omg, women like them? Damn, they must be gay" like SOME men act so sensitive whatever the issue is and its bc they may think little of women and get mad bc women like men, but not them. I won't go further into this issue bc the problem started with BB :meme-life-support: , but it's ironic seeing how some have to explain in 1000 pages why they like bgs.

𝕃𝕚𝕤𝕒 𝕗𝕣𝕠𝕞 𝔹𝕃𝔸ℂ𝕂ℙ𝕀ℕ𝕂

• Idk but it’s weird that groups with male fans r always highly valued for some reason but if they only appeal to girls then they r like not of value??or like having male fans proves something?? Idk it’s weird even in western stan culture it happens :eyes:

This was also the gist I got from THAT thread! I don't get it and I also don't really understand what exactly men like in it?

• I see... I guess that means they are not like other girls... I mean boys!

Maybe male KPop fans need a boygroup like this:

The leader: 43 years old, married with 5 kids, owns a small start up on the side that has to do with taxes

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQU-BwA3blE1tlRjGdZTougjhHrsugN5WS_AA&s

The center: 38 years old, trauma from when he was in the army, single forever, heavy video game gamer since being 10 years old, runs a vlog channel of his live with his shiba inu dog

portrait-of-an-asian-man.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=8ykaBpOfTsYMGoXXxWOFEAan3vx3sAbbBRm1DGuI6WM=

The visual: 39 years old, married to a model and all male fans are jealous of his wife, has a side-job in the company of his rich ass fuck dad where he oneday will inherit the company

young-korean-man-portrayed-in-seoul-south-korea.webp?b=1&s=170667a&w=0&k=20&c=P9QnwFzvsD3xJ1axjieA5sWuAU4UUQXYS3uAjufzDpQ=

The random chosen member where people wonder why he was there: 44 years old, loves photography, has a very mid looking but very friendly wife, owns a insta account where he posts all the photos he took

real-people-portrait.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=Fost3bvU2iJRiXNzxr3gXWmQwlGRuW1buSP0rLRAf_Y=

The youngest: 30 years old, always up to date with topics the males like so he can talk in fan events about anything that his male fans like

OIP.b6fTUKCWGASl1KV8qlRQqwHaNK?pid=ImgDet&w=188&h=333&c=7

The main dancer: 45 year old, he thinks he was the best dancer by showing his random 70s and 80s disco moves and pretends he was "Hip" with the young men by dancing fortnite-dances

1QJ4cBQZoOaLR8Hc3V2NgBLvB0f.jpg

The main vocal: 35 years old, still a virgin, cannot sing but was chosen as main vocal cause he at least is the only member who remembers the lyrics

i-asked-artificial-intelligence-about-the-average-man-in-v0-x73t43nf2w7c1.png?width=512&format=png&auto=webp&s=aa036563438bb8f8a58ae87b1ea1f08e1260f014

The main rapper: 37 years old, thinks he was the Korean Eminem but isn't

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsngrAThRfzAUk4M3LAWufMqbVeRGwZrv1TtxYTKhTAaonlfzZit5raqVzMo5ou5KJ25k&usqp=CAU

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• Look at Super Junior or Big bang. And no its not a joke either.

Gamers, not exactly perfect looking (relatable to most men), goofy, good friends.

super junior? Ankther group which would make sense for men to like. Men of akp offer better examples, wdyd?? but at the same time isn't sj fanbase mostly filled with women?

I am trying to understand this second part, men like gamers who are not exactly perfect looking and are basically quirky? Did I understand this right? And how does this appeal to kpop?

• super junior? Ankther group which would make sense for men to like. Men of akp offer better examples, wdyd?? but at the same time isn't sj fanbase mostly filled with women?

I am trying to understand this second part, men like gamers who are not exactly perfect looking and are basically quirky? Did I understand this right? And how does this appeal to kpop?

Cough incel cough

• super junior? Ankther group which would make sense for men to like. Men of akp offer better examples, wdyd?? but at the same time isn't sj fanbase mostly filled with women?

Cough incel cough

what she said ^

• People want their faves acknowledged by as many people as possible. To them, it's more credibility when the group is acknowledged and appreciated by people you wouldn't expect.

It's the reason why people get so happy when a western celebrity (or any western person for that matter) praises their favorites. They value this way more than if someone in Asia gave the same praise.

I don't think that's necessarily true because the moment women show intrest in areas that are predominantly male they are not welcomed.

So this side does NOT want to be recognized by people you wouldn't expect.

So what exactly makes certain boy group music good enough for even men ( :| ) to acknowledge it and not be ashamed of it?

• We need one dozen who thinks he is Elon Musk lol

• I don't understand the topic, since boy groups have much higher sales figures?

Or do women in Korea have much more money, so that many more boy group albums are bought and men have much less money, so that many fewer girl groups are bought.

Or is Korea a patriarchy and women are worth less there, so that women are discriminated against there and life is much harder for women, especially in K-Pop, and girl groups are therefore ignored by part of the male-dominated Korean population?

Perhaps many are afraid of being seen buying a girl group album and prefer to stream it secretly, so that girl groups have quite high streaming figures.

• I don't think there really are any BGs that are made to cater to men.

But, there are characteristics of BGs that I think men do like and I think it is more about music rather than concept especially for Koreans where lyrics do matter to them

Okay let's say men care all that much about lyrics lol

What exactly do we think is needed to atract male fans and to make them confident enough to come out and say that like that and that BOY group.

Like how do we conceptualize that?

• Men or women, we're all a product of our environment. Like it or not, almost everyone gets socially conditioned by environmental factors to seek comfort and preference in familiarity.

We talk a lot about male gaze and female gaze on this forum, but I've yet to see much talk about the western gaze. If it weren't for BIGBANG and 2NE1, I wouldn't have gotten into K-pop at the time I did. They incorporated western hip hop, something I grew up to embrace, in their art and they did it in a captivating way. Whether the art is great is up to preference, but for me, that was how I saw it based on my life experience and world view. It was my gateway towards appreciating other styles of K-pop.

I'm sure Blackpink and other groups accomplished the same for K-pop fans who joined the game later.

I think that the only 2nd gen group that had concept which could have been semi accepted in the West is Wonder Girls.

BigBang and 2ne1 were so obviously kpop, it wouldn't fly with gener public, only with kpop fans from the West lol

• Probably yeah to all of this lol

• Okay let's say men care all that much about lyrics lol

What exactly do we think is needed to atract male fans and to make them confident enough to come out and say that like that and that BOY group.

Like how do we conceptualize that?

Maybe not lyrics but it boils down more to music rather than concepts

Like Mamamoo's concept has an appeal to women compared to say cute concept

But when it comes to BGs appealing to men I think it's more about the music itself that is most important.

What exactly that is i don't know if there is a way to quantify it

• I think it's simply that men have to be the main character/ audience when it comes to the content they consume. I mean even in movies, a female protagonist or general female portrayed experience won't get the same universal interest and have the same appeal. A male character has to be there for the story to be considered of universal human interest. I think there have been articles about that.

A typical bg (whether kpop or not) mainly sing and perform 'for the girls they love'. Their sex appeal is targeted towards women, what with the hip thrusts and the song lyrics are more about worshipping a girl, romantically and sexually.

Since this discussion started because of the other thread about BB I will use them as an example.

BB didn't do choreo, compared to most bgs. They looked unbothered and they were beyond caring about that and they makes men think they are cool.

Plus, their sexual appeal was targeted men. The woman on a leash in the BBB mv, the mv of Bae Bae are some examples that show that their content is closer to male sexuality that has themselves as the main character.

And, of course, looks are important. Most bgs are pretty boys and whether it's jealousy that women love them or fragile masculinity admitting that they like a group of performers that are pretty might be an issue too. It's easier for a woman to admit that another woman is sexy compared to a man.

• So simply put even men don't know what they want? No one knows what men want

• I think you are right!

Whenever there is topic like this this is first thing that crosses my mind

Beyonce-Ed-Sheeran.jpg

I think this is amazing example of what is expected of woman vs men.

I think men also like to see mid/average men being successful and surrounded by hot women, being center fo desire and envy.

Random example, but look at harem animes for example. It is always one unimpressive MC being surrounded with beautiful women and just effortlessly dominating.

But what suprises me is that this is kpop.

Koreans themselves care about their looks and dance and doing their best on the stage is implied and expected. So why going against essence of kpop?

• This thread contains 59 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!