Police confirm death of Lee Sun Kyun

• I've always wondered, is there are particular reason why Korea always calls suicide "an extreme choice" or "extreme measures?" Why is there an avoidance of just saying the word "suicide?"

• He isn’t dead yet you should correct your title cuz you’re spreading miss information

Actor Lee Sun-kyun of the Oscar-winning "Parasite" was found dead in an apparent suicide Wednesday while facing an investigation over suspected drug use.

A man in his 40s was found unconscious in a car at a park in central Seoul at 10:30 a.m., and the police later identified him as Lee. In the passenger seat was a charcoal briquette.

The police earlier received a report that Lee left home after writing a memo akin to a suicide note.

Lee has gone through three rounds of police questioning on suspicions of using marijuana and other illegal drugs at the home of a hostess working at a high-end bar in Seoul's Gangnam district on multiple occasions since early this year, including last Saturday.

The actor claimed he was tricked by the hostess into taking the drugs and that he did not know what he was taking.

Lee tested negative in both the brief reagent test conducted during police investigations and the lab-based drug test by the National Forensic Service last month. (Yonhap)

'Parasite' actor Lee Sun-kyun found dead amid investigation over drug allegations
    Actor Lee Sun-kyun of the Oscar-winning 'Parasite' was found dead in an apparent suicide Wednesday while facing an investigation over suspected drug use.
    www.koreatimes.co.kr

• He isn’t dead yet you should correct your title cuz you’re spreading miss information

unfortunately he is:

[BREAKING] Lee Sun Gyun reported to have passed away
    Actor Lee Sun Gyun, who was under police investigation for suspected drug use, is now reported to have passed away this morning (27th).According to…
    www.allkpop.com

He just shared the wrong link.

• Rest in peace.

Yes, he was suspected of using drugs, but nobody deserves to die.

it wasn't the drug allegations, he could have come back from that...it was the fact that it was revealed that he was a VIP client at a high end room saloon. Nothing is worse than shame in Korean society.

• I've always wondered, is there are particular reason why Korea always calls suicide "an extreme choice" or "extreme measures?" Why is there an avoidance of just saying the word "suicide?"

Right?? and also I also wondered why there is no Mental Health Advocates in that country.

• Another victim of Korea’s unforgiving culture.

If he would have been a part of Hollywood he would have been any other ordinary actor who enjoyed a recreational drug or two and a good time on a Friday night.

• Is there any source for this?

Rest in peace, really tragic that all that has led to this

Lee Sun Gyun was allegedly a top 1% VIP member of a "room salon"
    South Korean actor Lee Sun Gyun, age 48, famed for his roles in influential Korean dramas and movies, now stands accused of violating drug management…
    www.allkpop.com

At the time of writing it was alleged, but it was confirmed as the madame turned out her book of clients to the police and it was a 29 yr old tenpro that gave him the drugs.

I wonder if its the same as other countries where media has guidelines about the use of the word, particularly in glamorizing, scandalizing or sensationalizing ways.

In Australia in recent years for example, the media rarely uses the word and instead they MAY refer to the person as having took their own life. Or they may not discuss a cause of death at all and instead say the person "died suddenly" and then at the end of the article have contact numbers for Lifeline and other support services.

The use of "died suddenly" has been setting of anti-vaxx nutcases though.

• Actor Lee Sun Gyun has passed away

Actor Lee Sun Gyun was found dead somewhere in Seongbuk-gu Actor-Lee-Sun-Gyun-was-found-dead-somewhere-in-Seongbuk-gu.jpg

Actor Lee Sun Gyun who was under police investigation for suspected drug use, is now reported to have passed away this morning (27th)

Lee Sun Gyun was discovered unconscious in his car near Waryong Park in Jongno-gu, Seoul, around 10:30 AM

1. Ah… It’s so sad, he’s my favorite actor, but I’ll never see him again. I pray for his soul to rest in peace

2. That’s an irresponsible choice, that’s a very selfish choice

3. He doesn’t take responsibility for his mistakes and is selfish to the end, what should the rest of his family do?

4. I feel sorry for his family

5. He could have paid for his sins and lived well

6. I hope it’s a lie ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

7. No, what about his family…?

8. He’s a coward, in the end he doesn’t think about his family

9. Doesn’t he think about his family?

10. ????????? What????

Original post (1)

Actor Lee Sun Gyun has passed away – Pannkpop

• [instiz] (TRIGGER WARNING) ACTOR LEE SUN KYUN, FOUND DEAD INSIDE CAR... TRACES OF CHARCOAL BRIQUETTES

AVvXsEj3phVrQba8zbwuzuARLxFlRK7MvaRDraFtMnaWThTvJgdbHKX_DwGc11DOL6wiTGUTixrsAWSNDleCHXKaYJmSM3MnUhYRh1TVcHgRfWgRfJfNV2Qhfs_JivTXmg77e3bXtCgfFQBtWjTs6sPPbosvfhhW6vEhRN49R5iKs3uNW540nT-Rx2TpvbkBqvs=s16000

Police have confirmed actor Lee Sun Kyun has passed away.

In a statement shared with media outlet SPOTV, the police force has confirmed the identity of the man found dead in his car to be Lee Sun Kyun. His car was found on a street within Waryong Park in the Jongno district of Seoul.

We have identified the man who passed away as actor Lee Sun Kyun.

— Police agency

Earlier in the day, it was reported that Lee Sun Kyun was found unresponsive in his car.

original post: here

1. The article is out... officially.. aigo...

2. I did feel like his face didn't look good while being investigated the past few days... ha... damn...

3. For real..?

4. Lee Sun Kyun isn't even 50 y.o no...?

5. Ha...

6. Hul for real?.... Is this the official news?

7. Life feels so futile

8. So his death is confirmed? The articles seem to contradict

9. I feel like this is so irresponsible for the rest of his family...

10. Hul...? This is so shocking....

AVvXsEg86IGwphF73CrweOH5W9vY8kmTl5K6F2adNnd4ENB1zyG6TGKcDY1w4UUFRc5AYeHxt64-DayOmGMObxHWn1oWJAjZgXHvCpmBjdaC9htAG-Xjit9OcPO-M7Vu6aNNpzOlqMqfReiUDA1NKcvIt20RTnFGJgJ-cSXpBikLDVY2b2Jg3S2xAo5GY5xCavg=w544-h640

[instiz] (TRIGGER WARNING) ACTOR LEE SUN KYUN, FOUND DEAD INSIDE CAR... TRACES OF CHARCOAL BRIQUETTES
    We translate Pann articles about Korean news, music, drama and lifestyle
    www.pannchoa.com

• Damn. Netizens are are really harsh.

• I wonder if its the same as other countries where media has guidelines about the use of the word, particularly in glamorizing, scandalizing or sensationalizing ways.

In Australia in recent years for example, the media rarely uses the word and instead they MAY refer to the person as having took their own life. Or they may not discuss a cause of death at all and instead say the person "died suddenly" and then at the end of the article have contact numbers for Lifeline and other support services.

The use of "died suddenly" has been setting of anti-vaxx nutcases though.

Good point. I think trying to avoid glamorizing suicide and preventing copycat suicides makes sense, especially given how high the suicide rate is. It wouldn't take much to tip someone over the edge.

• they have a point though...suicide is kinda selfish. He's out of the picture while his wife and kids are the ones left to deal with the aftermath.

I guess I'm just surprised that this is the first thing they say instead of, "wow, that's so sad. RIP."

• It’s easy to say that suicide is a selfish act and I get it - he had the choice, but until you have personally dealt with someone that is depressed or going through significant mental health issues yourself you will never understand.

I know people who have committed suicide due to depression and they had everything in life going for them, but internally they just couldn’t see and value their own self worth. Mental health is very complex. For his wife and sons I wish he could have found a way to go on - they will suffer because of this.

• they have a point though...suicide is kinda selfish. He's out of the picture while his wife and kids are the ones left to deal with the aftermath.

Suicide is not selfish. Nobody knows what his reasoning was. Maybe he thought it was better for everyone if he wasn't around anymore. There's a million different reasons why he could have done what he did

Complex is over-rated, Ill go up higher and shine brighter than anyone else

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKATHE VOLUNTEERS

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

• SK laws are full of joke, just like my country where drug user getting worse punishment rather than individual linked with felony crimes, and what makes this worse his test comeback negative. RIP

well he did admit to snorting ketamine thinking it was a sleeping pill.

이선균, 빨대 이용해 코로 흡입 인정.. “수면제인 줄 알았다” - 미주 한국일보
    마약 투약 혐의를 받고 있는 배우 이선균이 수면제로 알고 투약한 약물을 빨대로 흡입한 사실을 인정한 것으로 전해졌다.26일 JTBC에 따르면 이선균은 최근 진행된 경찰 조사에서 “빨대를 이용해 코로 흡입했지만 수면제로 알았다. 마약인 줄 몰랐다”고 진술했다.유흥업소 실장 A씨는…
    www.koreatimes.com

Because of the taboo between suicide and mental health in certain parts of our society it's seen less favorably, or some would call it weak. Plus the political and societal implications we know we have q glaring issues and that suicide rates here is higher than dang near anywhere else on the planet to the point we call Korea jooseon hell for a reason, if life was a video game people would say Korean is playing the game on hord mode. Being in that environment is NOT healthy long term, it's unfortunately something leadership doesn't want to address.

Kpop and kdramas are nice but, Korea is not great place to live, for the fact that living expenses are extremely expensive. Super inflation ontop of a real estate crisis is one of the reasons people are on their last rope here, add all this other bullshit then add on the stuff idols have to deal with x2 and it's no surprise this happened, it's actually a surprise more of these idols actually don't kill themselves. As everything the average person has to deal with is 2x the difficulty for them especially when factoring in all the bs they get criticism for.

Lastly they try not to say it in vain hopes it won't inspire copycats as this was an issue with lots of people throwing themselves in the han river that the bridge has a masive net around it and many signs of encouragement along the railings with a hotline to call someone

• This thread contains 41 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!