It makes sense why kpop groups don't do full albums anymore.

• Nowadays the standards for CBs has gone up, previously people used to do more albums because 1 MV was enough but recently things has changed. NewJeans has released MVs for multiple tracks every comeback. IVE had Kitsch and After Like, now they will release 3 tracks for I'VE MINE. Lee Sserafim also promoted two tracks their last comeback. Nmixx did the same.

All of those MVs cost a LOT of money. Nowadays long promotion periods for CBs are the norm as well. More teasers, more money. Plus the standard for them has increased as well. Nowadays teasers are A LOT better than with 3rd Gen.

All of these costs add up so it makes sense for them to release fewer full albums and just do minis and EPs.

• I don't think It's because of what they are spending on other marketing tactics and more because regardless If the act is releasing a single album or a full album, they will sell just as much.

Take IVE as an example. Both their single album "After Like" and their full album "I've IVE" sold around the same 1,5-1,7kk. But in one the production costs were a lot cheaper, since they didn't have to pay the songwriters for more 9 songs.

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

• I don't think the MVs have anything to do with it though?

KPOP groups have rarely released full albums. They have always mostly done EPs and minis. Twice did not release their 1st full album until 2017. Two years after they debuted. Black Pink didn't release theirs until 2020, 4 years after debut. Red Velvet in 2015, a year after debut.

Twice literally only has 3 full albums throughout their whole career. And, this is 3rd gen we are talking about. The amount of single albums is new, but releasing EPs and minis more than full albums has already been around way before New Jeans or IVE were even thought about in KPOP.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• Hard to release full albums when you're expected to come back every six months. Imagine coming out with an 11 song album that would last a local act like Olivia two whole years, but then be expected to come out with another album after six months? You end up releasing like 11-15 songs per year, which is an IMPOSSIBLE pace to maintain if you want to also ensure quality and minimize fan/listener fatigue.

People make fun of BP but 30 songs is a lot closer to ideal amount over 7 years, than 200 songs that Twice/BTS put out in 8-10 years. I think 7-8 songs per year is literally the max i would ever want from my faves and even that is pushing it.

The one caveat i will make is that songs are so short these days that maybe it would be possible to keep things fresh with more songs per year than say 40 years ago. Since you can literally combine two songs from today to equal the musicality of one song from 1987 or whatever.

• Hard to release full albums when you're expected to come back every six months. Imagine coming out with an 11 song album that would last a local act like Olivia two whole years, but then be expected to come out with another album after six months? You end up releasing like 11-15 songs per year, which is an IMPOSSIBLE pace to maintain if you want to also ensure quality and minimize fan/listener fatigue.

People make fun of BP but 30 songs is a lot closer to ideal amount over 7 years, than 200 songs that Twice/BTS put out in 8-10 years. I think 7-8 songs per year is literally the max i would ever want from my faves and even that is pushing it.

The one caveat i will make is that songs are so short these days that maybe it would be possible to keep things fresh with more songs per year than say 40 years ago. Since you can literally combine two songs from today to equal the musicality of one song from 1987 or whatever.

You make a good point! I didn't even think of that, but you need to double that number.

A full album is 10-15 songs on it minimum. Possibly more if artists include short interludes and intermissions. It should take you 40-70 minutes to listen to the whole thing, and I have seen some artists have 20+ tracks on their album.

So, if people were releasing full albums every 6 months rather than minis, they'd be releasing between 20-30 songs a year.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

i'd be so sad if a group or a soloist i liked only released 8 songs a year. that seems like so little!

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!