why do so many foreigners want to be kpop idols so bad

• explain

cause the number is increasing every day

its not like the melodies or instruments are unique to kpop

hell most of it is sampled/stolen from non-korean songs or composed by english speakers

its not like the makeup or clothes are unique to korea

tons of foreigners are wearing the same thing these days

k-beauty is a trend in general rn and its only going up

any foreigner can release a similar song and dress up in a similar way for the cover, maybe even learn some dancing, and will probably have better vocals than kpop idols.........without needing to label themselves as kpop

seriously, no one will care

then why the need to be kpop SPECIFICALLY?

is it because they are deeply in love with the korean language

cant bear not to speak it?

or because they want to "look" like the idols they worship?

which they wont, if they're not korean/east asian

or do they want to be a part of the starving, slutshaming, slave culture?

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• people have wanted to perform and be loved by audiences since forever

the kpop model is just one way to do that

you can be an entertainer on any scale and perform and by loved by audiences

without having millions in debt and getting bodyshamed to death by being an idol

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• you can be an entertainer on any scale and perform and by loved by audiences

without having millions in debt and getting bodyshamed to death by being an idol

You say this as if kpop idol is the number one job prospect for entertainers.

I'd understand this perplexity if kpop idol was more popular job prospect than idol or average singer.

But it's very clearly not.

• fair

still pretty high among foreigners considering literally none of them have ever made it and are clearly not welcome

u r m o m g a y

• fair

still pretty high among foreigners considering literally none of them have ever made it and are clearly not welcome

You can literally say this about multiple high barrier for entry jobs that are super desirable. Especialpy ones in foreign countries.

I see it as no different from people who wanna draw manga. It doesn't need some deep analysis.

It's popular, people like it

Simple.

• foreigners being manga artists is becoming quite popular these days though

even anime studios outsource a lot of their work to foreign countries to save a few bucks

a lot of very popular anime illustrators are korean/chninese/SEA living in japan

idk how they get there but it definitely happens

art in general, its easy to get high level foreign clients with skills because of digitization

even music producers for example, can easily get a high level gig with a foreign client based on ability

kpop idol success stories for non EA-passing people are nearly nonexistent in comparison

but anyway i get your point

u r m o m g a y

• partially

success brings you money and fame, true

but it also brings larger audiences, opportunities for collaboration, the chance to take artistic risks, sheer megalomania etc etc success can be a kind of freedom if you’re very very lucky as an artist

but does it seem possible for a non EA-passing foreigner tho?

u r m o m g a y

Now I am gonna sound like some delulu but...

I would call myself skilled at both dancing and singing and always got praised for these skills.
    And I wouldn't call myself ugly either.

But this doesn't mean I want to be a K-Pop Idol bcs its the most horrible job ever.

Most people (esp young non-koreans) want to be K-Pop Idols because:

- They don't get love and attention from her family and seek it from somewhere else (like most people do, this is also the reason why so many extremely young people want to be in a relationship). They see how much love Idols get and want it too. They also romanticize relationships between group members and think that all of them are best friends and want these friendships too.

- They want to get closer with their favourite Idols

- They are just suitable for the job bcs they fit korean beauty standarts, can dance and sing and have an entertaining personality.

- They have family issues and want to go to korea to be a K-Pop Idol bcs then, they are away from their family.

- They fetishize Koreans

- They want to become rich

idk there are probably more reasons but this is what I think are the most common ones.

⋆.ೃ࿔*:・。 ゚ ꒰ঌ 🪼✦🌊໒꒱ ༘*.゚⋆。 I just wanna continue my pace ⋆.ೃ࿔*:・。 ゚ ꒰ঌ 🪼✦🌊໒꒱ ༘*.゚⋆。

• i mean yeah if i was good at singing and dancing and wanted to release music, i'd never look at kpop either

it doesnt seem like anyone there actually cares about the music

u r m o m g a y

• i mean yeah if i was good at singing and dancing and wanted to release music, i'd never look at kpop either

it doesnt seem like anyone there actually cares about the music

K-Pop was never about the music and will never be, it just has to be catchy tbh

⋆.ೃ࿔*:・。 ゚ ꒰ঌ 🪼✦🌊໒꒱ ༘*.゚⋆。 I just wanna continue my pace ⋆.ೃ࿔*:・。 ゚ ꒰ঌ 🪼✦🌊໒꒱ ༘*.゚⋆。

• I think it's similar to how so many artists want to 'make it in America'.

Kpop is doing very well, so if you make it in Korea as a Kpop idol, you will also get attention abroad. It is one of the gateway music industries to worldwide fame.

• damn a whole psychoanalysis

i mean you're not totally wrong but damn

i simply assume being kpop idol is now the most visible rich celebs in their age for teenagers, even more than hollywood child actor or disney stars so it is the most attainable. not to mention it seems that you don't have much mental load, you got trained, you got treatment and styled, you get transported everywhere, got sponsorship out of nowhere. all you have to do is show up and show off. ofc the keyword being seems

But you're acting like being a pop singer in the US is any different at least in terms of the financial exploitation and sexual crap you have to deal with, particularly for women. Everyone knows how cruel and exploitative the entertainment business is, and it's no better here. Labels here will exploit you and trap you into perpetual debt slavery, while everyone from your own damn agents or producers, A and R execs, and other powerbrokers and benefactors try to sleaze their way into your bedroom.

I do agree though about one thing - the trainee system. Nobody in the US could handle what Kpop trainees have to go through.

Working 70-80 hours a week as 14 year olds, being forbidden to have phones or contacting parents for weeks/months at a time.

Forced to live 6 deep in a nasty two bedroom tenement apartment, being yelled at every day and treated like subhuman because of the seniority system.

Having teachers and managers sometimes even physically discipline you, getting criticized every waking moment of your life for every little microexpression you show and every syllable you utter.

Having to learn 3 different languages while learning to dance and sing and doing media training all at once.

Workers in America are coddled like crazy, it would be a MASSIVE culture shock for any local to have to deal with what a high stress workplace is really like in Korea.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!