If V's Layover becomes a hit album, it's all V. But if it flops, it's MHJ's fault.

• Amirite? :p

As someone fascinated with MHJ's creative process, I'm following the rollout of V's album with great interest. I don't closely follow BTS, so this is just some observations and things we can expect based on her and her team's work with NewJeans.

We can do this because despite what some of us want to believe - that she's just there for marketing/promotions and maybe some visual direction, cuz even the album package is sooo V and probably designed by him (instead of an award winning designer) - truth is that MHJ will lead the overall production of the album, including music, choreography, design, and promotion.

But what you'll find is that all worries that MHJ will steal the spotlight from V are unfounded. As V himself even said, he chose her bc to him she's the producer that can truly bring out what an artist has within. And all his "tastes are intact" and reflected in the album.

And while it can seem that MHJ has a very clear vision for what any final product turns out to be and is obsessive down to the minor details, that does not mean that she doesn't involve her artists in the creative process. In fact, you can argue she's one of the producers who take into consideration her artists' input the most:

Lyrics:

Danielle was encouraged to contribute lyrics to Attention and Hanni for Hype Boy. This was before they even debuted. You can find their names in the writing credits. And apparently the next gen idea for the unannounced drop came from Hyein, the youngest member. Subsequently, Minji appears in the credits for Ditto and Haerin for New Jeans. I would find it shocking, disappointing even, if there isn't at least a song written by V. But if there isn't, it's MHJ's fault. Just for the record. :saint:

Choreo:

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Voice:

MHJ commented that she found V's "unfamiliar timbre" interesting. And I found her comment interesting. Expect her to draw out and feature V's natural voice much like she does NewJeans - more natural and less prescribed or formulaic (i.e. JYP breath method, singing above range etc.).

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

However, when it comes to execution when it's time to record, MHJ will have the final say. But the focus is less on technique and more on the integrity of the message conveyed and how it fits in to the piece holistically. Like what she suggested here to achieve what Pitchfork described as the "nervousness and giddiness" of longing and "eagerness" to feel:

External Content youtu.be

Music:

This is the part that I am most curious to see. Does V compose music? In any event, MHJ has an eclectic ear for innovative music worldwide and brings together composers and producers who would otherwise be unlikely to get involved in Kpop. As indications are that V is going for more of a Jazzy R&B sound, I anticipate MHJ will tap the composers for maybe CWY and for sure Get Up for V's album, especially Freekind - you can check out their sound here:

2021 album:

External Content open.spotify.com

Latest album:

External Content open.spotify.com

Personal Hail Mary:

I want to see a song in the style of Get Up, where Hyein at least makes an appearance like Minji and Hanni did in Permission to Dance. Dare I suggest even a brief scene of V visiting a Jazz bar where Hyein is singing Get Up before he leaves and kicks things off. Probably not, but that would be epic.

Anyways, let's everybody cross our fingers for V. Both for him as well as for MHJ's sake.

:pepe-angel:

• There’s zero chance it’s gonna flop

Right. I’m confused what OPs point is. All this analysis, for an album, that’s gonna be bought by ARMY regardless if it’s a ham sandwich or not.

If OP means in terms of being impactful/memorable, again, i don’t think this matters, because ppl will hold up things like Jimin’s or J-hope album, the same as they do RM, like they are even comparable, when they aren’t even in the same league.

So this thread is pointless.

• And another thing, we need to stop this narrative that an artist being involved in their work, makes it better.

It may make it more authentic, but as someone who listens to korean rappers mostly, self-producing, doesn’t make something good/better inherently LMAO.

Those NJ songs were gonna be hits, no matter if members contributed or not.

• And another thing, we need to stop this narrative that an artist being involved in their work, makes it better.

It may make it more authentic, but as someone who listens to korean rappers mostly, self-producing, doesn’t make something good/better inherently LMAO.

Those NJ songs were gonna be hits, no matter if members contributed or not.

That's because the rappers are bad lmao

• It will do well and it should also be acclaimed on multiple levels (partially, yes, bc MHJ has impeccable taste across multiple disciplines). If this was P-Dogg or Slow Rabbit in the studio, I would be seriously concerned we'd be getting an EP of K-drama ballads.

• Trust me, even MHJ wasn't in Hybe, Tae would still not let BH produce his album. He'd rather have collaborated with his nugu producer friends.

"Don’t judge a book by its cover. Everybody has a reason and everybody has a story. I hope people don’t judge a person based on what they see." Kim Taehyung

b9067265d2fcc30fa3ee1ba591881fc0865471a4.jpg

• Anyways, let's everybody cross our fingers for V

No need, but damn, you put a lot into this. I do agree with some points though like:

you'll find is that all worries that MHJ will steal the spotlight from V are unfounded. As V himself even said, he chose her bc to him she's the producer that can truly bring out what an artist has within. And all his "tastes are intact" and reflected in the album.

In response to this:

And while it can seem that MHJ has a very clear vision for what any final product turns out to be and is obsessive down to the minor details, that does not mean that she doesn't involve her artists in the creative process.

I think V had a clear direction he wanted to go for this album and he wanted to work with someone that would stay the course. In MHJ, I think he saw someone who had a similar artsy aesthetic, so I don't think he had any fears there.

• Interesting insight OP. I didn't know that regarding NJ choreos though.

The only thing I'm sad is we're not getting the "demo" for Blue and Grey the same way that Yoongi gave us his version of LGO.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!