Stats of Top 3 boy groups and Top 3 girl groups

• paradis

Changed the title of the thread from “Statistical analysis of Top 3 bgs and Top3 ggs” to “Statistical analysis of Top 3 boy groups and Top 3 girl groups”.
  • The difference between BTS and others. A group that matches their sales and streams.

This is why no other groups breaking their sales is serious to me, none of them are matching BTS’s impact and growth as artists.

To think BTS were called inorganic for years by kpop fans, no bounds to the jealously and ignorance of kpoppies.

There is only 1 sub-metric from those listed above where BTS does not come on top and that is number of songs in top 10 of BB Hot 100 Japan, rest its pretty much GOAT dominance by BTS, internationally or in Korea.

• Can't believe I'm half-defending an SM group here, but the fact that EXO is almost tailor-made to succeed in the chinese market and there's no taking into account such a vast market or success in that market seems like a very major weakness in that comparison.

At least with BP the comparison doesn't matter as much (though still completely flawed and missing data) because BP basically also is the biggest of the 3 GG's in the chinese market.

So not sure what to make of these numbers for the 3 BGs other then 'BTS are big in the west" which everyone knew already, but no real conclusions can be drawn from it.

PS - Where's the "analysis"? It's just a list of stats. There's no analysis done, the reader is left to draw their own conclusions on almost anything listed.

• biggest fact that this analyse confirms is that the gap between bts & other groups is gigantic.

and maybe that the gap between other groups is smaller than i (and many others, i think) expected.

• It’s not just west, everyone uses yt and Spotify Barr China maybe. Even melon streams were taken into consideration, part of the domestic market.

Maybe OP wasn’t able to access numbers in China. But I don’t see how not including one market refutes the entire statistics here. Although it would give more perspective.

• I will edit the title for you but the data is literally represented in clear numbers, tabulated and bolded with anyone being able to easily do a bare minimum comparative analysis if they went to school and possess some cognitive skills. Lest they cannot comprehend without pie charts and graphs and need a summary of findings under each chart to understand what is extremely basic to grasp.

US and Japan are the 2 biggest music markets and data from them are readily available, hence the OP may have mentioned it separately. Rest as someone above mentioned, this is global data, not "western", so your contention is incorrect.

China literally has an ongoing Kpop ban and its data is not easily tracked, plus China is just about making it into top 5 music markets in the world in terms of revenue. You want to prioritise data from an opaque market where not everyone has a level playing field or free entry due to various political reasons and which is already considered as a centre for inflating every metric since barely any filtering or checks are in practice there, while dismissing the rest of the world data as "west"?

Edited 5 times, last by paradis ().

• paradis

Changed the title of the thread from “Statistical analysis of Top 3 boy groups and Top 3 girl groups” to “Stats of Top 3 boy groups and Top 3 girl groups”.
  • Am I the only one who finds a "t‍op 3" consisting of B‍TS – E‍XO – S‍eventeen and Twice – B‍lackpink – R‍ed Velvet a bit odd?

These selections don't represent an "all-time" ranking, nor do they represent who's "h‍ot" at the moment.

• Am I the only one who finds a "t‍op 3" consisting of B‍TS – E‍XO – S‍eventeen and Twice – B‍lackpink – R‍ed Velvet a bit odd?

These selections don't represent an "all-time" ranking, nor do they represent who's "h‍ot" at the moment.

So Michael Jackson and The Beatles aren't the most popular/successful acts because Taylor Swift is currently popular?? That's essentially what I'm getting from your comment.

• So Michael Jackson and The Beatles aren't the most popular/successful acts because Taylor Swift is currently popular?? That's essentially what I'm getting from your comment.

There may be a bit of a misunderstanding, as I think we might be getting at the same thing. I agree that MJ/Beatles are "all-time" greats, which Taylor's current popularity does not detract from.

I guess what I'm saying is that the OP's selections appear to be commingling "all-time" and "current" success.

For example, if we're talking "all-time" success, then Big Bang deserves to be included over Seventeen. On the other hand, if we're talking "current" success, then NewJeans should be included over Red Velvet.

• There may be a bit of a misunderstanding, as I think we might be getting at the same thing. I agree that MJ/Beatles are "all-time" greats, which Taylor's current popularity does not detract from.

I guess what I'm saying is that the OP's selections appear to be commingling "all-time" and "current" success.

For example, if we're talking "all-time" success, then Big Bang deserves to be included over Seventeen. On the other hand, if we're talking "current" success, then NewJeans should be included over Red Velvet.

You had me at Bigbang but lost me at New Jeans. I know next to nothing about Red Velvet, so I won't speak on what I don't know but from the data compiled, asides from PAKS and Melon, what exactly has New Jeans surpassed Red Velvet in????? It's not the touring, the youtube views, Spotify+Melon streams, BB Japan charting etc??? Even with BB, Seventeen got them in physical albums and Japanese charting and isn't so far off their streaming on YouTube or Spotify.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!