What's the point with the Waterbomb festival?

• I get it's a Kpop traditional stuff, but some of my favs I can see they feel very uncomfortable. And many of them do not wear revealing clothes and I'm kind of happy this is happening in Korea and not in the US for example. But I never understood the point with that festival.

• For one, Waterbomb is a way for ppl to cool down during the hot Korean summer (it is typically around 32C or 90F with the humidity making it feel warmer) also bc Sprite (the main sponsor of Waterbomb) has always been the brand in Korea that has been known for it's ad campaigns that have this summer sexy feel.

For example, a main brand ambassador for Sprite for many years was AOA's Seolhyun and her ad campaigns were usually here in revealing summer outfits in the water.

248b01de723d3fc45c174eeadc7795ef.jpg

support shiroma miru on queendom puzzle

• If you're asking why that type of Festival. Water Festivals are just popular in Korea, Psy used to do them all the time(And still does if I'm not mistaken.) That combined with Waterbomb's prominence is why it exists.

It's not the only water festival, but it is the biggest one when it comes to musical acts, most water festivals are generally EDM DJ affairs.

• I get it's a Kpop traditional stuff, but some of my favs I can see they feel very uncomfortable. And many of them do not wear revealing clothes and I'm kind of happy this is happening in Korea and not in the US for example. But I never understood the point with that festival.

Shouldn't your question be why did their companies book them for a festival like waterbomb that's always been known for being sexy when they clearly aren't comfortable with it or with revealing outfits?

Just look back at the old performance lists and you'll notice groups like Twice, Izone and Gfriend never attended, instead it was Hyuna, Sunmi, Chungha, Jay Park etc.

• Whoever I saw enjoyed it e.g Kai, Hwasa, Btob

It’s a festival that’s age restricted. It’s not for everyone to go. So companies shouldn’t send those that are uncomfortable.

But since the festival already has an adult only cut off for performers and audience both not sure what’s the problem here.

• If kpop groups, don’t wanna go they shouldn’t go.

It’s a music festival with more of a Young Adult vibe (which is generally what music festivals are geared towards).

I would honestly prefer kpop groups didn’t go from opinions like OP. Kpop fans are too prudish, while this mentality does not exist in the korean hip-hop/rap community who make up a good portion of the performers. Just make it a hip-hop festival only and everyone would be happy.

• My only issue with Waterbomb is less the "revealing "clothing since most times the clothes aren't that revealing based on my standard.

My issue is more when people target the performers in the face. Most specifically their eyes when shooting the water guns. Like intentionally trying to blind them, and my anxiety would not allow me to enjoy something like that.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• Can we stop infantilizing Korean culture. Let them do what they want as long as it's not actually hurting people. Worry about their bullying culture. The only issue with that festival is waste of water, harming the planet.

• it's just a festival, there doesn't need to be more of a point than that some people think it's fun. why are fashion shows a thing? i don't understand them, that doesn't mean they shouldn't exist.

there's also no one else than they're label to blame if the artists seem uncomfortable. their label added them to the lineup, they didn't need to participate if they didn't want to.

also i'm confused, who are your faves? cuz every clip i've seen are people having lots of fun. most of them are khiphop artists too and they do looots of festivals so i don't see any of them having a problem with it.

• It's just girls in bikinis omg kpop stans are too prudish to a fault. Almost all of the women aren't dry-humping dudes and just singing their songs as they normally would but with bikinis on. It's really not that deep. I personally loved Sunmi and Eunbi's viral performances and I don't see anything that would make it uncomfortable unless you're 13 and boobs terrify you.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!