Why has the 'teen' concept exploded in popularity?

• Examples of "teen" concepts

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The most popular 4th gen girl groups IVE and Newjeans, both have different versions of this teen concept. IVE are more luxurious while Newjeans is fresh and bubbly. The girl group that arguably opened 4th gen, ITZY, debuted with a "teen crush" concept. I find it interesting that this concept is so popular now because it was virtually nonexistent in 2nd gen and only a small handful of 3rd gen groups tried it(Weki Meki actually coined the term "teen crush.") Doubly interesting is that IVE and Newjeans fanbases mostly consist of teenage girls and women in their 20's. This is opposite to 3rd gen where the popular girl groups fanbases mostly consisted of men. So I wonder if the rise of the teen concept has something to do with the majority kpop's audience now being young girls and women.

• itzy is more girl crush I wouldn't consider new jeasn teen concept unless if we related to their age

new jeans concept is different than the rest you mentioned

I also think most of these teen concepts derived from girl crush it's just a light version of it

I would still consider Newjeans concept to be a teen concept. Ditto, Attention, and Hype Boy are all about the teenage experience.

💞 💞

• 3rd gen fans. I wasn't around back then so I'm just going off what yall tell me.

Those 3rd gen fans probably had some agenda or were new to kpop as well. Groups with a lot of female fans caused black ocean, while male fans were never able to do something like that.

• Those 3rd gen fans probably had some agenda or were new to kpop as well. Groups with a lot of female fans caused black ocean, while male fans were never able to do something like that.

Black oceans are terrible but I would prefer that to male fans taking videos and gifs up underage girl group members' skirts and calling them misogynistic slurs and threatening to boycott over feminist imagery.

• Marketing to teens influences children, teens, and adults. Selling trending concepts like a teen concept makes it harder to separate the line between advertising and real content. Youth sells. Teen concepts sell. Would anyone you know buy grandma or grandpa concept music? Even selling mature/sexy concepts cater to the teen fantasy of what being a mature/sexy idol means in general media perception. You want to sell sexy shoes, not back pain creams and bedpans.

• Black oceans are terrible but I would prefer that to male fans taking videos and gifs up underage girl group members' skirts and calling them misogynistic slurs and threatening to boycott over feminist imagery.

So in that sense it's good kpop doesn't have THAT many male fans relatively speaking.

• Light version of girl crush so…not girl crush what 😭

Op first example, weki meki call their concept teen crush around 2017-18, in 2019 when itzy debut jyp call itzy teen crush concept

By 2020 there was 2 sides of this concept the itzy/aespa(more edgy) one and the stayc one that was high teen when y2k started to get more popular in korea

In 2021 the concept didn't define a hit as much as the group, ex: aespa with next level and stayc with asap until I've debut

Then 2022 come and all went as we know, with Ive doing luxurious teem royal concept that knetz love (love dive) and nj just overall being about them living their youth freely and bringing people a sense of melancholy

That how girl crush become teen crush, then high teen and now it's a mix of that with y2k style (that basically come back of fashion being a cycle and trends always coming back bc of a yearning of what they had in the past)

• I couldn't have said it better myself . Pretty much as soon I saw weki wki and itzy, I thought of teen crush hence why I said it's like a light version but I guess Op is talking more as teen concept as teenage experience so includes all styles

• Doesn’t change the fact that girl crush is not some all encompassing term. People use whatever words they want without any meaning.

• We’ll depends what type of teen concept. Teen crush?, teen nostalgia?, etc. But as a whole I think it’s due to Kpop fans being able to relate to the songs these groups put out, since we’ll most Kpop fans are teens, or pre-teens. Teen concepts also take from different aesthetics, and ongoing trends, which is probably the root cause of why they are so popular. When I visited Korea this summer, I noticed many people calling groups like itzy and Aespa old, and I think it’s due to more fresh and interesting concepts making an appearance in the Kpop industry nowadays.

• Other than k-pop idols' age, songs with school uniform outfits or MVs that take place inside a school setting tend to be happy or cute. I saw your profile picture and maybe there is some influence from Twice (because they made happy and cute songs and were famous)

And also, as implied by what I just said, what defines a teenager concept, just having a school themed MV or school outfits? The song lyrics being from a youthful perspective and possibly the song having a bunch of immature talk-singing (possibly that's what makes Icy seem like a youth song but not Wannabe)? And the idols being young enough to sell the "youth" aspect?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!