what is your culture shock in kpop world

• as title mentioned above, I would like to share my culture shock about kpop when I found out about it. the first would be like the hierarchy, like I never know it was quite serious even people born in same year but different month. second is aegyo. Imagine if you see your friend doing aegyo when she is not aegyo person. what about yours?

• The amount of times when there were German/Germany references which is so odd, because I'm from Germany

It's allways stuff like

• German quotes on a poster or wall in MVs (there is for example a German quote on the walls in the "Love sweat tears" MV by BTS)
    • German products used in MVs that you maybe not expect to be sold in Korea (Some years ago a I think Block B-MV had a scene of the members robbing a bank and the contents from a handbag that one member was emptying out looked like German makeup brands and people said these brands wouldn't be sold in Korea - randomly after this statememnts were made some people claimed the bank used in the MV was in Germany without that anyone could even name in what city that was)
    • German liscence plates on cars in MVs
    • Randomly used German words (it's not that often but when they do its weird, mainly cause they misspronounce it)
    • The few artists who have German names as for example the band Guckkasten or the boygroup Sechskies, altho these words often make no sense to someone who speaks German

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• The stigma around idol ages... like I don't get it, they are artist and skills like art get better with age not worse but people are quick to call idols ajumma/ajushi and what not the second they hit anything lets say above 25 (the range is getting worse tho) and start acting like they have reached expiry of some sort

And as mentioned here obscene obsession with Korean beauty standards

Visuals rankings and the debate and care about visuals in the first place, especially on the international side. Literally why do ya'll care about Korean beauty standards when most international fans aren't Korean nor does their home country abide by Korean beauty standards, just like who you like.

• Kpop idols are expected to write and sing about love but aren't allowed to love their significant other openly?

1 year and 7 months until AVATAR 3

• the range is getting worse tho

Reminds of the time as the first member of ATEEZ turned 22 years old and everyone said they should tone down their dancing or else they end up with a broken backbone at 28 since they are "allready too old to dance like that" noooo

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• all the plastic surgery was pretty crazy to me. sasaeng fans will never not be insane to me. like these groups have actual stalkers following them across continents and they aren't sued or arrested or given restraining orders??? wild.

i do remember being weirded out by all the aegyo too. now i'm used to it, although it is still a little odd at times

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• back on 2nd Gen when I am a new fan
    the only thing shocking for me
    back then is

idol make up vs bare face

their is a variety program on KBS World on 2nd Gen
    I think it is Kara and SNSD members
    some members not removing make up to hide their bare-face in front of camera

also

plastic surgery

I expected a simple fix or adds on surgery construction

I can't believe someone needed to have full overhaul type plastic surgery
    to be an idol

Edited 4 times, last by Michael-6 ().

• Visuals rankings and the debate and care about visuals in the first place, especially on the international side. Literally why do ya'll care about Korean beauty standards when most international fans aren't Korean nor does their home country abide by Korean beauty standards, just like who you like.

because it also their own perception / same country beauty standard

especially

male fans

always had vs topic in any field of entertainment
    sports
    anime
    movies
    etc

KPOP main selling point is visual

• how much they care about face sizes

this is first good one

I got the same one

was surprised when I heard first time "small face"

I was like wtf is small face? what do they mean? is it the triangle of eye-nose-lips

is it narrow cheekbones? small head? like seriously why? why? why?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• uh dating scandals

like can't a person love another openly ???

also the amount of caring ab visuals & plastic surgery

and how big & important fandoms are

˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷ʸᵒᵘ'ʳᵉ ᵐᵃᵏᶤᶰᵍ ᵐᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵒʸ ʷᶤᵗʰ ˡᵘᵛ˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷

Aesthetic GIF - Aesthetic GIFsK-POPPIN IN PINKAesthetic GIF - Aesthetic GIFs

• how much people care about labels

Back in 2010, I didn't even what an SM was and someone called me SM stan bc I liked SHINee

I didn't get why alot of fanwars were happening before that point bc I was totally unaware of the label structure and how important it is to most kpop fans.

Another example was that people were mad WG had to give rookie award to SHINee and not 2pm since they are from same label in 2008. It took me 3 years to get WHY people had a problem with that.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!