which do you think applies more to the kpop industry today: the famine mentality where in only a handful of groups control 99% of the market therefore starving the rest or the notion that a rising tide raises all ships meaning more opportunities are now

• available to anyone who wants to try to break in to the market due to the all the accomplishments of the major groups giving more attention to the industry?

2498d57dc1dfb241d15ca4e5556ed62f6ab05b49.gif

• This is theoretically easy to check

Are the sales of the 50th biggest 4th Gen group bigger or smaller than the 50th biggest 3rd Generation Group at the same point in there generations?

• IMO there are more opportunities now.

Even "nugu" groups are selling album numbers that only top groups could achieve before. Social media, youtube, spotify etc have a greater reach than before, and the number of kpop consumers as a whole has grown significantly. You'd have to crunch the numbers to see it from a percentage perspective, but kpop feels bigger, and it seems like there are many more successful and mid-tier groups doing okay than before.

• I think top groups like bp and BTS attract new fans to Kpop. Some of them may find their way to groups beside the top companies.

So i guess Kpop can sustain more groups and keep them profitable today.

But i see downsides too.

Seems like the big companies seperate the groups more and more into 2 classes of Idols we're the top groups barely interact with other groups or attend the same events. It often feels like there are two different Kpop worlds now. And this makes Kpop a lot less interesting to me.

I really hope we can sustain more groups for a longer time. And also make more groups profitable so the idols dont have to take part time jobs after disbandment. But we will see in a few years how it turns out.

Edited once, last by neigl ().

• IMO there are more opportunities now.

Even "nugu" groups are selling album numbers that only top groups could achieve before. Social media, youtube, spotify etc have a greater reach than before, and the number of kpop consumers as a whole has grown significantly. You'd have to crunch the numbers to see it from a percentage perspective, but kpop feels bigger, and it seems like there are many more successful and mid-tier groups doing okay than before.

i agree wir all. The only downside. In the past midtier groups could make a good song and actually chart. That seems nearly impossible today.

• smaller companies taking more risks with their investments because they think the Kpop industry has more opportunities now due to the big acts finding success

but that's pretty risky take

more opportunities to reach success doesn't guarantee success, smaller companies need to be smart with their investment money and budgeting

or else they will fall in the debt hole due to the costly high budget content they release but getting not enough profit back to cover wage/salary to all the workers/staff and idols themselves

handful of big acts starving the rest is a perspective

rising tide that supports all is another perspective

at the end of the day, the said company that finds success in the industry is up to the company themselves

it's all about playing the right card at the right time

know when and where to promo heavy and where to focus their attention while making financially sound and smart decisions along the way, know the trends and know how to make use of that while also making themselves stand out in the crowd.

• It depends on your POV.

Smaller companies:

Famine mentality

Larger companies:

Rising tide

The thing is, both co-exist. The "tide" is rising, but everyone is on their own boats and the big boats are still larger than the small boats.

And before someone asks how Big Hit's little boat became a Hybe ship ... it's a flotilla. :pepe-use-head:

• This is theoretically easy to check

Are the sales of the 50th biggest 4th Gen group bigger or smaller than the 50th biggest 3rd Generation Group at the same point in there generations?

interesting idea...

wsoet - you generally have the album data my friend

instead of merely looking at the 50th biggest how about take a range ie. the 30s to 50 from the 3rd gen and compare it to 30s to 50s of the 4th gen?

• cheers mate

I wouldn't do the exact 50th place but something more like the 20th to 40th places...for example

Maybe write out all the groups you can think of and organize them into tiers

Then compare the 3rd Gen op Tier to 4th Gen Trop Tier etc, and see if you have more of one gen in a certain tier

• Maybe write out all the groups you can think of and organize them into tiers

Then compare the 3rd Gen op Tier to 4th Gen Trop Tier etc, and see if you have more of one gen in a certain tier

that was what I was thinking as well but ranking them in terms of the albums sold

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!