Are Civil Discussions a Thing of the Past?

• With the rise of social media, and being able to say whatever you want safely, I've noticed a rise in hostility and just overall vile behavior.
    Do you think civil discussions are on their way out, as everyone has the ability to say whatever they want, without repercussion? The most that can happen is you can get banned or your account locked out like in FB cases, but there is always somewhere else you can go.

I personally love discussions - we are all different people with different identities, my opinion will not always be the same as someone else's, and while that can be frustrating at times, it's a beautiful thing - human individuality.

Discuss & Thoughts?

• Is there a chart for which discussion is most civil? If not I doubt kpop fans will be civil.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Is their a chart for which discussion is most civil? If not I doubt kpop fans will be civil.

This is more for in general - from anything to politics to favorite pizza toppings. Much more about kpop.

When were they ever civil?

I remember a time when we could disagree with each other and it not become a huge name calling war, because it was all in person, and there were consequences - weither it be getting in trouble at school, or getting your ass beat on the playground.

• They seem to be. It appears one can’t express an opinion without it being attacked and some people just don’t have the maturity or insight to accept it and let it go. Social media has become so toxic that I don’t use it anymore.

• They seem to be. It appears one can’t express an opinion without it being attacked and some people just don’t have the maturity or insight to accept it and let it go. Social media has become so toxic that I don’t use it anymore.

I agree - especially facebook. I can't even look at the comments on a news article anymore because it's so sickening.

• This is more for in general - from anything to politics to favorite pizza toppings. Much more about kpop.

Social media and universities ruined civil discussion.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Civil discussions are possible, it’s just that everyone, even the ones who are not capable of having them ( and kids)can join the chat. Unfortunately they are so loud and distractive that the whole conversation turns into a mess or derailed.

It always has to be black and white. A lot aren’t able to think outside a box and like to box people into labels.

So if you want a serious and rational civil discussion, you need to find the right places. Twitter and the rest ain’t one of them.

• Civil discussions are possible, it’s just that everyone, even the ones who are not capable of having them ( and kids)can join the chat. Unfortunately they are so loud and distractive that the whole conversation turns into a mess or derailed.

It always has to be black and white. A lot aren’t able to think outside a box and like to box people into labels.

So if you want a serious and rational civil discussion, you need to find the right places. Twitter and the rest ain’t one of them.

Preach, Sandy! I've always loved your view on things, and I've always respected you. I try to play devils advocate in most situations because I can see the 'grey' in everything even if it goes against my own personal opinion. I guess people like me are rare nowadays

• I think it's because online to some extent be it on forums like this or elsewhere we have the protection of being anonymous. We can run amok and forgo social rules since this has no impact on our daily lives. Some people stay the same and others find it a convenient way to live out their less friendly and more opinionated alter ego with no consequences.

Desbundar

• I think it's because online to some extent be it on forums like this or elsewhere we have the protection of being anonymous. We can run amok and forgo social rules since this has no impact on our daily lives. Some people stay the same and others find it a convenient way to live out their less friendly and more opinionated alter ego with no consequences.

I agree 100% - everyone feels their invincible. People just need to be kind to one another. :sadr:

Also, I think many people lack a purpose in life. A lot of things that have traditionally given life purpose and meaning have been eroded in the modern world. A lot of lifestyles and things today are about instant gratification to distract yourself from your problems.

In the past things like religion provided a purpose for people and a way to interact and be involved in person in their community. (I'm not saying you have to believe in a religion, I'm just using this as an example)

We need something that can provide value to people, and to interact face to face with people in their community. (Obviously after you get vaccinated etc)

Now days I feel like too many people just go to work and come home to vent their unhappiness and anger online because places like twitter reward that.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

Edited once, last by Yseki ().

• Preach, Sandy! I've always loved your view on things, and I've always respected you. I try to play devils advocate in most situations because I can see the 'grey' in everything even if it goes against my own personal opinion. I guess people like me are rare nowadays

Oh thanks, I appreciate that. It’s the same for me to you too<3

That’s the key to a healthy discussion. It doesn’t has to end with everyone agreeing, but at least understand where the other is coming from with their opinion. People are more projecting and assuming instead of just listening.

People like you aren’t rare, they are just unwanted in the era of cancel culture, so they talk less. You are either this or that and once they made up what you are to them, you can say whatever you want, they won’t listen or will agree to everything you say (which in certain situations can be just as toxic).

• I think that back before social media, things were more civil because like you said, everyone couldn't just say what they thought all the time. Civil descussions are a thing of the past for all people put together, but I think we could have civil discussions if the people involved were limited so people wouldn't be shouting over each other.

Civil discussion on social media however, that's a lost cause

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!