Can You Tell The Difference Between Jpop and Japanese Kpop

• I was shopping at the mall and heard this jpop song but it felt really weird to me.

Like I have virtually no knowledge of what kpop boy groups sound like but I knew they didn't sound like that. I don't know if it was the pronunciation, the sound itself or the tell-tale sign of cheesy English phrases but I figured it was kpop group, probably NCT, singing in Japanese

It wasn't NCT but still, can you tell the difference between jpop and Kpop songs in Japanese

• Yeah, pretty sure I can.

For example this Jpop

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This is JKpop

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

"Don’t judge a book by its cover. Everybody has a reason and everybody has a story. I hope people don’t judge a person based on what they see." Kim Taehyung

b9067265d2fcc30fa3ee1ba591881fc0865471a4.jpg

• I've listened to random jpop here and there, the one thing i remember about them is they're definitely more retro sounding with their instrumentals which i love obviously, Normal drums, electric guitars and synth, strings. Kpop is much more with the current trends, all the trap beats, synth percussion, the autotuned rapping, and very heavily dance focused.

Despite this i cant get into Jpop, songs in a foreign language i just cant get into them, i dunno how the non Korean Kpop fans do it, it's amazing to me.

I would love to see Kpop adopt Jpop sound with Korglish lyrics, i would probably love Kpop even more.

• Yeah cause KPop and JPop do sound very diffferently. Most KPop groups and sometimes JPop songs who are produced by KPop artists tend to have a flow in the music that is differently to JPop. There are also words who get quit more often used when its Japanese songs by KPop acts or when the songs are written by a KPop-act than you would do with JPop since of cause Japanese people have a bigger knowledge of the language.

There is also a slight difference when there are Japanese songs from KPop-artists who are written by Japanese producers or when someone who is Japanese translated the lyrics of a Korean song for a Japanese release etc. to when they would release a song in Japanese that is only written by someone who is Korean

Most of the time it's also the sound of the voices. If you know a few bit of Japanese songs you can most of the time figure out way easier if the person whos singing is from Japan or not (sure, there are some exceptions like JPop-acts who arn't from Japan as like foreigner who have a music career in Japan without many years of speaking practice or JPop-acts who grew up outside of Japan as for example many of the mixed JPop-acts grew up outside of Japan) and also having a lot experiences in the language helps out too to sound more like a true JPop-artist. So for example many KPop-acts may pronounce words where the R sounds like an L more like an R instead of the L-sound, wich isn't the case if the person is either Japanese or from Japan and there are some other things where you can figure it out from just hearing someone's voice.

And there is also sometimes more of a chance that JPop-acts missspell English words when they use them when singing compared to KPop.

Not allways, but sometimes Japanese songs by KPop-groups can also tend to have a lot more English lyrics than JPop-songs. Sure there are also JPop songs with a lot English, but KPop has a way of using English, different to JPop, where you often also can quit get where the song is from since Japanese songs made by KPop-acts sometimes sound like as if they used English at parts where the producer most likly didn't knew the right Japanese word for.

Also some people said before they can quit distinguish dialects and accents even if they don't speak Japanese after listening to JPop for some years and say they can distinguish between Japanese and Japanese dialects vs. Japanese with a Korean accent. (However some people were using this as an insult towards JPop-groups with foreign members who arn't Japanese since sometimes groups have member that come from Taiwan, Korea, China,... and didn't grew up in Japan and arn't even Japanese and so some people who don't like groups like this tend to insult them by stuff like "Why are they using that horrible Korean accent when singing? Do they want to apeal to KPop fans or what?" I don't really get people who use accents as insult, like dude they are of cause having an accent since they didn't grew up in Japan, arn't Japanese and most likly only learns Japanese a year or even less before debuting in a JPop-group so what do you expect from them?)

Also modern JPop is still quit different to what KPop sounds like, even if there are some similarities since most JPop-acts do their own thing and don't care what another country is doing

Here are some Japanese songs as example who came out in 2022:

External Content youtu.be

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• I was shopping at the mall and heard this jpop song but it felt really weird to me.

Like I have virtually no knowledge of what kpop boy groups sound like but I knew they didn't sound like that. I don't know if it was the pronunciation, the sound itself or the tell-tale sign of cheesy English phrases but I figured it was kpop group, probably NCT, singing in Japanese

It wasn't NCT but still, can you tell the difference between jpop and Kpop songs in Japanese

Yea,

I can

J-pop ussually has this sound to it that make you think "Damn, that from an anime?"

as where Kpop, it just clicks

and if you can pick apart Korean pronunciation like words such as niga, Shipeo, Geotcherom, Jigeum, Ikkeullyeo, Sungan then you know its Korean, if you aint hearing anything like that then its likely not Kpop

• Japanese music industry is the second largest music market in the world. The range of Japanese musicians is VAST -- they do all genres from pop, rock, folk, jazz, metal, R&B, Hip-hop/hip-pop, fusion/traditional etc. Their legendary acts are also very mature, well respected and still active like since the 80's and 90's due to the large fanbase they've built in Japan and Asia etc. I hope some music fans here will check out Jpn music beyond the Japanese versions and releases of their favorites. There's incredible music from Japanese musicians beyond anime and OST music, although nothing wrong with those - some are true masterpieces.

Also, some of the newer musicians also now have English subtitles for their MVs too e.g., Fujii Kaze -- I made a thread for him and other personal favorite Japanese musicians in the JPOP sections. The thread what JPOP you are listening to also gets updated with recent releases from Japanese musicians and groups too.

• i don’t listen to japanese idol groups, but i do frequently listen to japanese popular music. for me, it’s quite easy to tell the difference— k-pop, in my opinion, uses far more electronic elements than jpop. jpop also seems to frequently have somewhat of a rock element to me… it has a very distinct sound. but this is just when i’m comparing jpop to the k-pop groups that actually sing in japanese well :leaving-bee:

sometimes if a k-pop group/artist makes a song that is intended solely for japan and wasn't originally in korean, it does sound a lot like a jpop song. examples i can think of off the top of my head are Hitori no Yoru, Ito, and Ring by TXT.

Moved the thread from forum KPOP to forum KPOP.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!