Did SM really waste Aespa's popularity with lack of activity?

• Jisoo was literally acting on dramas and lisa was like??? A mentor overseas and doing tons of promo. Rose, Jennie and Lisa all had solo songs, with Rose and Lisa promoting multiple songs for each release. If you ask me, Blackpink would be considered pretty busy if they promoted music shows the way kpop artists do.

'*•.¸♡ NewJeans ♡¸.•*'

all this time. . . .。・:*˚:✧。

• It’s such a gamble for them to use the starvation strategy IMO. Everything about their return would have to go off without a scandal, and they’d need a really big song to justify drawing new fans in who would be theoretically okay with another year long hiatus after that. The strategy makes more sense financially if aespa can generate SM funds while inactive so maybe that’s why

Attention spans are only getting shorter too. But I’m not a creative director, maybe scarcity is the key move for all 4-member girl groups

• Nope, they aren't, RV didn't had much content but were super active in variety shows, at the point aespa is right now various members has solo activities including Irene and Yeri MC roles for Music Bank and Music Core, Joy in We got married, various variety shows (guest and regular), a lot of OSTs and collabs (a lot of it did well on charts too), cameo in popular drama, in like half of year from the point aespa is right now Joy got her first lead role in a drama.

Aespa is nowhere near the way RV was promoted.

Ah. I didn't know that about the variety content. I didn't pay a lot of attention tbh, I was just thinking about the music and content.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• Scarcity creates demand. When something is hard to get , the brand value increases. Basically economic principle.

Scarcity creates demand in a vacuum. When there is no other choice available. But scarcity in a vacuum creates demand to a point, then starvation sets in and consumers die off if their needs are not met.

However, the kpop industry right now is not a vacuum. There are other choices out there.

In this case, scarcity creates adaptation. Starved of their main choice, many "fairweather fans" will jump ship and go on to other options. 4th gen has a lot of good other options right now to someone that isn't a completely committed ride or die.

People have said it's not fair to invoke BP in this convo, but, as a direct comparison they are the obvious choice because they had a very extended hiatus. As others have pointed out, yeah sure, Blinks were fed JUST enough to get by and that surely did help. I'll always, always, argue that giving the girls their own social media presences was a genius move. It allowed fans to get scraps all through. But it can be (as shown in anon >.>) argued that BP's extended hiatus, even with the things we did get, DID harm BP to a degree, and this come back is arguably disappointing in some metrics. Hell, during the hiatus I got HELLA into Dreamcatcher and Itzy, to fill the "hole in my heart". But there was always just enough BP stuff to keep me interested.

So, yeah it's dumb of SM to try a complete starvation strategy in this current kpop climate, ESPECIALLY when their last comeback also underperformed in some metrics. I keep on saying that SM keeps hiding and oppressing the members personalities. I'm going to outright say this (and sorry if this offends My's)... the aespa members can come across as a bit boring, and thats because of how SM limits what they put out. It seems like SM wants them to have this image of uber-cool, aloof, high fashion girls of mystery, but... they are cocking it up.

Compare that with Itzy... a group that had major issues at the beginning of 2021, hurt badly by Covid and their own hiatus. JYP, for all their faults, kept Midzy's fairly well fed. Lots of reality show stuff, lots of vlogs, lots of social media engagement, lots of different CF's (Break Ice is a god damn BOP), Japanese releases, special MV's, even dumb cute crap like that weekly cooking show. Just content on content made a happy Midzy, and I'll argue that for all the criticism Sneakers got, overall the Checkmate comeback was a win for Itzy/Midzy because of it.

• I would agree, companies normally want to ride on the popularity of their idol quickly to establish a solid fanbase asap but Aespa just suddenly ''disappeared''.. Also didn't the girls themself said SM push their comeback to next year and people here talk about how SM must be afraid of IVE..?

• Also, are SM fans accustomed to long hiatuses? I can see it working for Blackpink more to be scarce because that’s sort of just a YG move nowadays, but usually SM is more dense with content so it might hit different

I can’t help but feel like SM keep experimenting with aespa and are trying to justify spending less effort on their groups by introducing starvation strategies? Hope the girls are actually on board if so

• But it can be (as shown in anon >.>) argued that BP's extended hiatus, even with the things we did get, DID harm BP to a degree, and this come back is arguably disappointing in some metrics. Hell, during the hiatus I got HELLA into Dreamcatcher and Itzy, to fill the "hole in my heart". But there was always just enough BP stuff to keep me interested.

i strongly agree with this.

Except i filled that void with aespa, another group that is getting extensive hiatus just like Blackpink 🥲🥲

• the strategy will work better if they are already at high level popularity wise with a few hits under their belt which is not the point for aespa, SM need to promote them, the competition is all time high for 4th gen and while i don't think a SM group will ever flop, they could lose the door to be a top group

SM either complacent or DGAF :pepe-hips:

SM is not smart enough to strategies

They are just scratching their head and not doing much

Atleast they should have pushed for a Japan debut by now

Doesn't makes sense when Chris Lee likes to brag that aespa bring so much money to the company and how aespa is SM future yada yada..

aespa is the only one treated like 'this' in SM. Even RV who everyone saying that they are treated exactly like aespa got recording behind, individual yt birthday content and reality show this year for instance.

This must be intentional decision.

• Yeah that's why I'm also skeptical that this strategy will work longterm. I'm don't really understand how their mind working, what are they aiming for is it General Public or Fanbase. The title tracks that they given so far for aespa aren't public friendly and SM also refuses to give fans content. Do they believe that aespa will magically gaining fans with how they are treated? I'm loss for words .

I think Sm upper management is clueless and I've always said that Chris lee (and Tak Young Jun) is a proof of why nepotism shouldn't play a role in a business. He keeps bragging that aespa is bringing so much money and how they are is SM future but where's the action? He is on the verge of ruining their potential. LSM still refusing to selling his shares so no chance his nephew will be kicked out.

• Nope, they aren't, RV didn't had much content but were super active in variety shows, at the point aespa is right now various members has solo activities including Irene and Yeri MC roles for Music Bank and Music Core, Joy in We got married, various variety shows (guest and regular), a lot of OSTs and collabs (a lot of it did well on charts too), cameo in popular drama, in like half of year from the point aespa is right now Joy got her first lead role in a drama.

Aespa is nowhere near the way RV was promoted.

no, what is this? they literally performed at coachella (with SM's power and effort of course). they also appeared on nick cannon and kimmel show. SM burned their money for aespa's comeback

SM literally put more effort and better marketing for AESPA.

and suddenly all SM's idols are in kwangya in sake for AESPA's concept

• no, what is this? they literally performed at coachella (with SM's power and effort of course). they also appeared on nick cannon and kimmel show. SM burned their money for aespa's comeback

SM literally put more effort and better marketing for AESPA.

and suddenly all SM's idols are in kwangya in sake for AESPA's concept

a few american shows doesn't change that RV was way more promoted during their first 2 years, especially individually, aespa is barely breathing, yes SM paid for some shows in america which i think it was a mistake , they should had focused in korea/japan but were put in dungeon the rest of the year while RV had members appear on tv weekly

• maybe that dramatized Kwangya videos taken lot of budget so team didn't want to spend even more on additional MV's?

btw. and also it's a good thing that comeback got postponed, after all we got mundial in late november so from then music shows will be cancelled

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• maybe that dramatized Kwangya videos taken lot of budget so team didn't want to spend even more on additional MV's?

btw. and also it's a good thing that comeback got postponed, after all we got mundial in late november so from then music shows will be cancelled

I think this is it

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!