Posts by Lost-Guardian

Pandemic along with 'Dynamite' blowing up brought lots of new people's attention to kpop in 2020 which is one of the reasons why sales uprise from 2021. But in 2020, kpop companies except HYBE didn't make much profits because of no touring possible and almost all online concerts flopping except BTS ones. That's when companies started doing lots of gimmicks to increase the album sales because it was the only way to make profits for them. And it worked that's why they pushed the gimmicks as much as they could hence the upward curve only growing even in 2022. But in 2023, they reached a plateau where they can't do more gimmicks anymore without making it look ludicrous. You can't sell albums for less than $5, right? You can't be doing 30+ versions, right? Hence kpop sales stagnating in 2023. And with real world issues hitting us hard, they are going down in 2024. I won't be surprised if they reach 2021 levels by the end of this year....

I keep saying this...love dive is the kpop song of the decade

Don't wanna spoil the celebration but you forgot to add "girlgroup" there :whistling:

Btw Congratulations to Ive. It was pretty certain that 'Love Dive' would be holding this record at some point. I'm also certain that it will hold the record for all time girl group songs at some point.

Looking at how much bad blood is between NewJeans and Ive fandoms, it will be interesting to see which out of 'Attention' & 'After Like gets to 1b first. Both have exact same points at this time. And the song which will get to 1b first will make the artist first kpop group other than BTS to have more than 1 song with 1b points. Let's see who gets the bragging rights....

If all the groups release 1 version regular priced full length studio albums (not $10 digipacks or $50 expensive ones), I think all of them would need to focus alot on promotions than they usually do.

BTS : I think BTS will still sell somewhere around 3.5m. They haven't had a regular album release since MOTS7 (2020) and 'Dynamite'. Their albums were so expensive that even if any non fans wanted to buy them, they wouldn't just because of the price. So I do think we haven't seen their actual peak in terms of album sales because mainly hardcore BTS fans have bought their albums since then. And all of those have sold somewhere around 3.5m....

Seventeen : 800k-1m. I think their fans would also agree that their sales are inflated but still I feel they have enough fans that can buy around 1m albums.

Stray Kids : 900k-1.2m. I feel their fandom is actually stronger than Seventeen's and still growing so I feel they can also do around 1m sales.

TxT : 900k. They have more casual fans than hardcore fans tbt but I still feel they will just about miss 1m.

Enhypen : 650k-900k. Their fandom goes back and forth with them so difficult to predict. It can go either way lol...

Aespa : 500k. Their last album's sales have me confused so I don't know tbh...

NewJeans : 600k-800k. Trendy group with lot more casual interest.

NCT Dream : Really hard to predict this one. They don't feel big enough to sell even 600k tbh but their sales suggest they can sell 900k too lol...

Exo : 500k. Past their peak. Only reason their album sales peaked last year is because of the inflation.

Le Sserafim : 500k. It seems they do have a really active fandom because I see them being talked about positively more often than any other "4th gen" girl groups.

Blackpink : 1m-1.5m. They should sell 1m at the very least but 1.5m seems difficult right now....

NCT 127 : They have dropped so hard that I find it difficult to say they would sell even 500k tbh. Not even their fans talk about them anymore. It seem lots of them moved on to NCT Dream.

Twice : 500k. Even though their core fandom is strong, I doubt Twice's ability to make people outside their fandom buy their albums at this point.

Ive : 500k-600k. They have a pretty strong fandom for non "Big 4" girl group.

(G)-Idle : 350k. Not as strong fandom as others.

Trot got revitalized in Korea after 'Mr. Trot' & 'Miss Trot' in 2020. There were 0 Trot songs or artists in top 10 from 2007-2014. Slowly they started showing up in the Gallup lists over the years with 2020 being the resurgence of Trot in Korea. And hence since then barely any non-Trot artists or songs get mentioned by people above 40's with the exception of BTS & IU.

This year BTS are at #11 in above 40's list so they must be somewhere in the 50's list too but I can't find othe mentions for it. Last year too BTS were #11 in the above 40's category.

Even though BTS released their biggest song and album in 2020, they did better in Gallup in 2021. They won it with whopping 45.6% while also being #5 in above 40's category. They were #2 in the 40's with 23%, #5 in the 50's with 10% and also got mentioned in the above 60's list. 'Butter' also was #5 in top songs list for above 40's. It is still the only non-Trot song that has made top 10 of above 40's category. Not even 'Dynamite' (which has topped the survey 2 times and appeared in top 10 for 4 consecutive years, only song to do both) could make it to top 10 because of how dominant Trot was in 2020.

Bts is a very brave answer. Millitary does a lot of damage to most K-pop groups, but if anyone can do it it's BTS.

People can confidently say BTS because they literally haven't toured after their biggest worldwide hits and after being acknowledged by most as one of world's biggest acts. You know one of the major reasons that propelled BTS to such heights is because how well they promoted themselves and their music during their tours. And their last tour was back in 2019. Before their biggest album. Before their biggest songs.

Taylor Swift's last album isn't her most popular album neither did the album produce any hit songs but this year was her biggest year ever. Because of her tour.

So BTS' much anticipated tour alongwith an album and well planned promotions can do what Era's tour did for Taylor. That's why I think many think BTS haven't reached their peak yet.

I agree with you on 'Fake Love'. It is their most creative main single work alongside 'Blood, Sweat & Tears'.

When you see the performances of songs like 'Singularity', 'The Truth Untold', 'Love Maze', 'Outro : Tear', etc. you are making a strong case for 'Love Yourself : Tear' too. But I still feel 'WINGS' & MOTS7 are a tier above 'LY : Tear'. 'LY : Tear' is my favourite BTS album alongside 'HYYH Pt. 2' sonically. But 'WINGS' & MOTS7 conceptually are superior to those two. Especially WINGS is just something else.

And I do feel we missed out on alot with MOTS tour getting cancelled because I really can't imagine what they would have done with those beautiful songs in MOTS7....

I said this the other day and it is true that BTS make more money from Japan alone than any other kpop group does worldwide. That too without touring there since their biggest hits in Japan. So having BTS on your team is good for HYBE...

BTS becomes the first overseas artist in history to be ranked number 1 on this annual sales chart in Japan
    For the longest time, the Japanese music market was the goal and objective for many K-pop idols in the history of K-pop. The Japanese music market wa…
    www.allkpop.com

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

BTS as a group haven't even stepped a foot in Japan since 2019 so it will be huge when they do after comeback in 2025-26...

I don't follow newer group's music much tbh so my knowledge of them is a bit on the lower end. But from what I have seen and what I have heard, it seems as if most if not all newer groups are trying to find "their sound". And are sticking to a particular sound to appeal to their fans...

The difference is that groups that had wider appeal did not just stick to a particular sound. Big Bang made just as much "noisy" music back then but they didn't rely only on it. We forget that Big Bang got popular with songs like 'Lies', 'Haru Haru'. They also released songs like 'Blue' & 'If You' in between their "noisy" releases. When BTS released 'Not Today', they accompanied it with 'Spring Day'. 'Dope' was a secondary single to 'I Need U'. 'Fire' was with 'Save Me'. They gave people options to choose from. Rather than just sticking to a particular sound. That's why they had wider appeal beyond their respective fandoms.

Im not saying these newer groups are not making distinct music. But I haven't seen enough versatility in their promoted singles. And non fans are not going to listen to the albums if they don't like the main singles. So people think they only have one sound which gets multiplied by the fans who also only gloat about "their sound". Thats why their appeal is not being seen outside their respective fandoms hence not being able to generate hits.

So I don't think they are releasing bad music. Because the thing is they all seem to have enough fans to get them by. Which means they are making music that appeals to a number of people. But they are not being able to make much noise (pun intended) because they are trying too hard to appease their fandoms.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Seventeen have more physical albums than BTS (in quantity). And this year alone, SVT sold nearly 10M no?

The difference is minimal though and will be overcome by BTS in 2025 easily.

Seventeen do have more physical albums but that's not the reason. Because BTS still have 9m more sales than them overall on GAON (44m vs 35m)....

The main reason is Hanteo counts sales only from their affiliated stores. Till 2021, Hanteo didnt have many affiliated stores outside Asia. Not even popular ones like Amazon and Target. That's why most of BTS sales which happened pre 2020 did not get include in their Hanteo sales. Since 2021, BTS have only released 2 physicals. Seventeen have released 6 or 7 albums I think and it was also around the time when kpop groups started doing gimmicks to increase album sales hence most of Seventeen career sales are coming from Hanteo affiliated stores unlike with BTS.

That's why Hanteo shows only 25m out of 44m of BTS sales while shows 25m of 35m Seventeen sales....

Dynamite and Butter might have the same recognition now as TT and other Twice songs that did super well in Japan. Those BTS songs made tons of headlines worldwide, esp the former.

But i think what Onces are arguing is that popularity/GP recognition of Twice is still higher in Japan than BTS. BTS obviously has plenty of fans who will attend concerts, buy albums and stream, but do y'all really think the average 30 year old salaryman/salarywoman commuting to work every day in Tokyo has any idea who the members are? I feel like if you showed them a picture of Sana, Nayeon, or Tzuyu vs even the popularmaknae of BTS, that they would be far more likely to recognize and name the Twice members versus the BTS members. You could do it for the least popular members too, pit Chaeyoung and Dahyun and Jihyo against the hyung line of BTS and i think the Twice members will come out on top.

Someone said it best. Twice moves like a popular local act in Japan while BTS moves like a popular Western act.

Since you lot like "polls" so much....

https://www.allkpop.com › 2022/05

BTS's V tops a popular Japan celebrity ranking poll for 57 ...

Here's a bitter truth for you. There's more likelihood that average 30 year old salaryperson is a BTS fan than them knowing Twice exists. There's more people in BTS fandom than the number of people that know any other kpop group's existence. That's why there is so much gulf between BTS & others. That's why BTS make more money in one country (be it either Korea or Japan or USA) than other groups worldwide. So actually none of your kpop faves are as known as BTS members. You lot should drop this "people don't know BTS members individually" trope because it is so fucking ridiculous and it doesn't even make sense... Because BTS reach is beyond kpop and kpop fans which is only where your kpop faves are known.