Posts by sassily

people have been talking about kpop's massive sales inflation for years, and not only with Twice vs the other groups. Realistically, are Seventeen anywhere near BTS' level even if they do outsell them? No, so idt fans should lose it. Sales are gonna increase as long as there are zero regulations on bulk buying and incentives and since Kpop lives on that stuff it's unlikely to ever be implemented.

exactly, there's so many great African queens who have never received the spotlight Cleopatra has (due to white-centric media, since she was white herself and linked to the Roman Empire) so this documentary had a great opportunity to finally do that and instead they picked Cleopatra for the millionth time and just decided to go with "actually she's black, my grandma said so" instead? Even if they go with the queens you mentioned in the future seasons, they've already discredited themselves in terms of accuracy so people won't care as much. That's such a wasted opportunity.

Well Cleopatra wasn't even African she's from a Macedonian descent so her skin color is very unknown probably she had olive skin or a tanner skin but if Egyptian are ok with white women with blue eyes portraying her why not a black women 🤷🏻‍♀️

Ps: I just took a look at the actress portraying her and i think she's very accurately looking

there are plenty of Greeks and Macedonians with blue eyes lol

and why does the actress look accurate to you? because you've been told that's what Egyptians look like? Cleopatra was a whole coloniser, she was the first in her family who even bothered to learn the Egyptian language.

people

Cleopatra came from an incredibly inbred line of Greeks/Macedonians

at best she had olive skin, but she was definitely white.

and yes the "documentary" is literally claiming she was black and was whitewashed in history...which is inaccurate and stupid. That's why people are mad. If this was some random other fictional film, people wouldn't be nearly as mad as this thing claiming to be historically accurate and saying their grandmother told them Cleopatra was black and it's a conspiracy that she's not usually portrayed as such.

As far as i know she's always been this skinny and she's pretty tall, maybe that's just her genetics, some people cannot grow much muscle even trying and eating healthy. It's really annoying when ppl say it's not healthy without knowing what's actually going on

she was definitely less skinny during Produce 48 and right after debut though. Which is concerning because she was 13-14 at that time, which is typically when teenagers are at their thinnest. People should stop claiming it's just her metabolism and her great genes, she lost a lot of weight at one point and never gained it back. And talking about eating much etc, sorry but I had an ED myself that doesn't mean someone actually eats. I used to not eat anything for days so I could eat a lot at an outing with friends and they'd be like wow incredible you can eat so much and stay so thin

not saying WY has an ED but I'm not a fan of presenting her figure as "just good genes", she's really extremely thin and we all know what kpop companies are like when it comes to idol's weight

all of these cost basically the same money anyway so I don't see the big deal, it's not like you're actually paying for the individual songs on these albums. Single albums are the biggest rip-off if we go by that logic cause they barely cost less than a mini with half the songs.

every repackage is also a scam if you look at it that way, cause you pay full album price for what, 2-3 new songs

this is obviously the final installment in their debut trilogy, it's a concept album.

I am still loyal to BTS as a long-time fan but I hate YTC so much it's the only song I will skip every time it comes up. I made myself listen a few times with the audio way down early on. But that song is so bad (or more like aggressively MEH) it's offensive to me. I still can't believe they gave us THAT as a goodbye, I seriously came close to unstanning.

But that's not even the point: most groups experienced a 3-5 multiplier in sales since 2020, GFriend could have had the same.

What happened to GFriend is what you see in a lot of corporate takeovers: the firm that's been taken over gets 1-2 years to prove their profits, and if the mother company thinks profit isn't satisfactory, heads start to roll.

However, there are other K-pop companies that didn't scrap their groups after a disappointing comeback or disappointing sales, and that perseverance got rewarded with those groups flourishing after a while and making a profit.

It's the narrative that GFriend disbanding was 100% unavoidable and that they'd never have been able to recover or make a profit in future years anymore that I find questionable and false, at least to me.

Buddies need to give it a rest. I get that Gfriend's disbanding was upsetting but they should stop with the narratives - the truth is that Gfriend was stagnating in sales and dropping in digitals before Hybe overtook. The truth is that Hybe DID massively invest in the group - they got BangPD on the tracks to rally Hybe stans, they got amazing sets and their own comeback shows, they got budget, 100%. They got great tracks (Mago would have been a major hit for a more trendy group), they tried to make them appeal more to women (the more profitable fanbase for older groups, unfortunately Gfriend's fanbase was very male dominated). It didn't work. Their sales decreased, their charting decreased, their international reception saw a slight uptick but not enough to justify keeping them on when they knew any group they'd debut would outdo Gfriend within their first year. Sometimes investment just doesn't pay off. Sometimes fans and the GP just move on, through no fault of the group's, really. it's just the way it is in Kpop.

And NO Le Sserafim are obviously not operating at a loss for Hybe. They just debuted and debut costs are a lot, but you don't need fans to tell you they'll easily recuperate that and more with their first tour. Anyone with even the most basic sense of economics would be aware of that. I'm tired of Buddies getting Gfriend dragged by trying to drag LSF at every turn, when the group is obviously very successful and far more profitable than Gfriend in touring potential alone.

yeah I'm talking about UL based charts. The real-time chart used to be dead easy obviously, but was dominated by big fandom boygroups

twice is another great exemple of having multiple hits but never charting any bsides

to be fair, it used to be a lot harder to chart Bsides. Only the huge fandoms + GP recognition groups really used to do it unless something was promoted and became popular even among non-fans. Nowadays with ULs so much lower, Kpop fans in general are able to chart their groups much better in the lower to mid positions.

Wonyoung is the most standout visual in both groups, but I agree with whoever said that NJ are overall prettier as a full group, they're very cohesive in their teen model aesthetic. In IVE the visual members vs the others are pretty obvious.

disclaimer: obviously nobody here is unattractive, these are kpop groups, etc.