Why do I feel like kpop stopped growing?

• Is it just me?

I just feel like generally kpop isn't growing, I remember massive growth in 2017 and after but now if feels like it's standing in one place and not moving. What you think?

• SKZ, enhypen and TXT are breaking their own records sales.

Let’s not talk about GG crossing 100k years ago was a rare feat now you see debut albums selling 300k

IVE, NMIX, LSRF entered Spotify charts with their debut single when.

A lot of groups earned their 1st entry this year too.

It’s not like when 2017 when kpop went global but the growth is bigger.

• i think it definitely is, but its not as obvious anymore because we're used to the huge views and stuff

• sale wise its growing

artistic direction? nah

It feels like awhile since sth big and innovative happened

I blame the fans, they all want the companies to just follow very safe routes that guarantees success

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• you probably don’t feel it as much as you did in 2017 because it isn’t as much of a niche as it was back then. it’s almost mainstream with how many people are into it and know about it’s existence

• K-pop has definitely grown a lot,especially in the past few years.

So many groups,especially 4th gens,are easily hitting numbers that most of their predecessors could've only dreamed of.

On on the other hand,we are yet to get someone truly groundbreaking that can top the success of the likes of BTS and BP,so maybe that's why you're getting that impression?

• It’s still growing. Album sales and streams are still growing across the board

But it only really started growing because of the pandemic. Since the pandemic so much more albums are sold and while new fans do join kpop, it is nowhere near the level it was before

• As others have said, its more of changed perspective of what growth is. Its like the saying that you only remember your 1st million dollars, meaning the journey to making it is always more romanticized than what comes after. Kpop kinda made it. So everything else kinda feels like gravy. Even BTS breaking record after record is becoming expected, like it was bound to happen (even tho i realize its never guaranteed).

Which sadly makes the achievements get crazily skewed high. Now the bar is, who takes off in the west or highest month spotify streams versus melon charting or 1 million being a crazy number).

So it didn't stop growing, i think just be exponential growth, kpop is growing faster than ever, but because Kpop kinda made it already, its just gravy now.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!