I hope TOMBOY's success can open up more doors for women in the idol industry

• When you look at the most credited artists on KOMCA nearly 95% of it is men & I really do think this needs to change.

Tomboy(by GIDLE) was arranged, written & produced by Soyeon & as you may or may not know it's achieving alot of success right now. I hope this can show KPOP companies that women are more than just performers & that they can have just as much as a say in the creative process as men do ( and be successful with it as well). :pepelove1:

• When you look at the most credited artists on KOMCA nearly 95% of it is men & I really do think this needs to change.

Tomboy(by GIDLE) was arranged, written & produced by Soyeon & as you may or may not know it's achieving alot of success right now. I hope this can show KPOP companies that women are more than just performers & that they can have just as much as a say in the creative process as men do ( and be successful with it as well). :pepelove1:

This is really well said and I agree. No shade or disrespect to any of the KOMCA male artists, but it would be nice to see an even bigger list with plenty of females on it too. It is, and the song sounds good, so I'd say the success is well deserved. I hope the industry learns that too. It is pretty messed up though (the industry I mean), so I won't get my hopes to high for now. Only time will tell. Have a great day/night!

• hear hear

and hopefully more female artists will have more input into their TT and not some random bside that probably make up that 5% on KOMCA

which raises an interesting point that of those 5% how many are for TT and how many are for random bsides?

• I don't think companies are gatekeeping self-produced music based on gender. Female idols need to have the desire to create music. They have to be driven and put in the work to learn how to produce.

I roll my eyes when I see people say "Oh but Company X won't allow their idols to self-produce". Of course they will. Cube didn't plan for GIdle to be self-producing. Soyeon took it upon herself to take production-related classes as a trainee. She took it upon herself to write their debut title track and pitch it to the company. Companies will pick the best song available regardless of who created it.

There's more impact when female idols themselves are influenced to want to create their own music.

Edited 2 times, last by hokiedood ().

• the thing is females who really has passion for songwriting and composing won't really like to be in a group, they rather prefer to be soloists, and also majority of the composers/writers tends to be rappers while kpop companies focus more on girlgroups vocals than rap,

but back in days since GD wrote and composed Lies, Haru Haru and it became hit lots of boygroups started to write their stuff, just like that now Soyeon had hit maybe more girlgroups start to write their stuff, but also its hard to find gem like Soyeon, kpop companies may just go for the safer and guaranteed route as usual

• Girl like Soyeon is rare to find because usually this type of people will likely become soloist/rapper. Just like GD that supposed to debut as rapper/duo. I do hope companies give their artist maybe 50-50 in terms of creative control for their music since I know it's a gamble for them to give fully control right from start of the idols career.

• Girl like Soyeon is rare to find because usually this type of people will likely become soloist/rapper. Just like GD that supposed to debut as rapper/duo. I do hope companies give their artist maybe 50-50 in terms of creative control for their music since I know it's a gamble for them to give fully control right from start of the idols career.

No idol has full creative control of their music unless maybe they own a significant amount of shares in his/her company. Companies will always have oversight and vet their artists' songs. Soyeon and most likely GD have had songs rejected before.

• No idol has full creative control of their music unless maybe they own a significant amount of shares in his/her company. Companies will always have oversight and vet their artists' songs. Soyeon and most likely GD have had songs rejected before.

Of course they do have rejected songs, what I hope is companies should give a try for their idol to participating in composing/producing not just writing a few lines than make their fans goes wild praising that their idol is 'genius' like that

• Agreed. Soyeon's success will hopefully mean companies give female idols more opportunities when it comes to writing and producing, and will also give a lot of female idols confidence.

Minnie and Yuqi have also made some great songs too. It's great to see Idle doing this.

• No idol has full creative control of their music unless maybe they own a significant amount of shares in his/her company. Companies will always have oversight and vet their artists' songs. Soyeon and most likely GD have had songs rejected before.

That can be expected for anyone that hasnt proven themselves tho, regardless of field. At the level they are at, none is going to say no to GD, IU, SUGA, Zico etc today.

• Soyeon is impressive.

But she is hardly the first, if IU hasn't convinced the industry..

Or Kahi, who effectively bootstraped "After School" from the scratch, like Soyeon did with GIDLE.

And you might be limiting the scope by discussing only performing-producers.

They rarely overlap, even among men.

The larger conversation should be just women producers-songwriters, irrespective of performers or not.

That indeed can increase. But again there are achievers in that category as well, Kim Eana to name one.

Just that most such people are behind the scenes and not gain fame.

Whereas idols' work even if the quality is average, will be hyped by the fandom.

In any case, women in KOMCA will have little to do with TOMBOY's success.

• What you said sound like she is the one who did everything , but I saw there are other names: Pop Time & Jenci

Males are still behind the scene.

The point is: she as a female idol, is heavily involved in the creative process. She's the one driving that process as the songwriter and main producer.

Here's some BTS of her producing songs:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Since there's no official breakdown of what roles Soyeon handles, some redditor speculated her roles in this post.

Edited 5 times, last by hokiedood ().

• That's not rare that female involve in the creative process nowdays, but it is still extremely rare to produce a full song without any help from males. That's why I don't see the situation are so different than before.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!