BEATTITUDE: How Much Do You Know about Min Hee-jin? (on her work, universe, addressing Sakura/Gfriend rumours, current k-pop scene, ADOR NGG and culture of competition in k-pop)

• On Universes in K-pop:

I don’t usually use the term “universe” myself. This may be a complicated way to explain things. When I am working on something and plan out the direction it will be heading, I naturally come up with an appropriate narrative; in that senseI prefer when some subject matter’s true nature is reflected in the natural flow of the story and through its use of foreshadowing wherever possible, rather than in an artificial setup. Of course, sometimes a little setup is needed in certain cases. Anyway, rather than tacking on a cut-and-dried conclusion, I prefer a story to unfold naturally in an open style, so I usually like to provide the topic, after which the rest is free to unfold in any way with autonomy. Therefore, personally, I find the meaning or nuance of the “universe” currently used in the K-pop scene somewhat excessive. It feels slightly different to me from the context I am pursuing. But still, consumers are free to bundle the thoughts and feelings that arise for them from my work and refer to them as a “universe” all they like. That is a completely different story, as I realize the direction I choose to take my work in can easily be interpreted as a “universe.”

Addressing rumours:

I accept being the target of criticism and analysis for what it is because, like it or not, it’s the way of the world. But baseless, nonsensical claims stress me out, of course. There have been times when I have been implicated in situations that have absolutely no connection to me whatsoever, and I don’t know why. For instance, there was an article that said I played a major role in scouting a certain group member for a soon-to-debut group at an entirely different label. A person whom I have never even met, incidentally. I also heard a somewhat malicious rumor that I was involved in the break-up of another label’s group. I really wonder where all those baseless rumors originated.

However, groundless rumors are devastating to one’s emotional condition. The warp and weft of the society I am a part of and the goings-on that take place there are mostly interwoven through a complicated process and for different reasons. In most cases, it’s hard to summarize something in one word and difficult to blame just one person. I can think of nothing crueler than the way people compress these subtle layers down flat into one. I sincerely hope a culture of not speaking carelessly about things we know nothing about takes root—not just for the sake of my work, but for a healthy society that benefits everyone.

On label ADOR and current K-pop scene:

I formed my label, so it requires something of a long explanation, but if I had to summarize, I would say I have the will to courageously and actively seek a new way out and create an alternate exit by breaking free of the fixed routine that comes standard in the business (which sounds simple, but actually doing so in reality is a considerably difficult task). I share some things in common with HYBE chair Bang Si-hyuk, but we each have our own approach when we pursue goals. I ended up launching my label because of the necessity of that difference and because it had been acknowledged. And HYBE CEO Park Ji-won thought the same way. The more that mutually exclusive possibilities are given room to coexist within an organization, rather than having everyone look in the same direction, the higher the probability of success. I am well aware that, once an industry becomes sufficiently advanced, it can stagnate and become complacent with the existing, stable methods, but it’s also true that I no longer feel entirely excited about the current K-pop scene. You need just the right timing to make your new ideas and efforts become relevant. And I think that time is now.

ADOR NGG coming in 3Q of 2022:

We held auditions back in September 2019 and by the end of that year, we had completed not only the audition process but the casting as well. The girls have been in training for roughly the last two years, since the beginning of 2020. Initially, a collaborative project, the group was originally scheduled to launch in 2021, but that was postponed due to the pandemic, and in the meanwhile, my label launched ahead of schedule, so now they will make their first appearance under ADOR in 2022. They will present the direction I’ve had specific plans for a new girl group for a long time. I expect their launch to take place in the third quarter of the year.

Competition culture in K-pop:

We set our own standards and are working our best toward them. In that sense, I believe our group’s energy is absolutely outstanding. They are constantly polishing their skills. It might sound too idealistic to some, but what I hope in earnest is, I want to try and create a culture where everyone can enjoy themselves together. What I personally find to be a real shame is that even a culture of enjoyment carries with it a sense of competition. An appropriate degree of competition instills a healthy kind of tension, but too much of anything is a problem. I have witnessed a long-standing contradiction where people speak up for improvements to and awareness of youth labor and for human rights for the young members of idol groups, and yet, at the same time, they hold young children to harsh standards and expectations when evaluating and criticizing them. It is both ironic and a pity how people transpose the contradictions they experience in everyday life onto the objects of their enjoyment wholesale. I understand many groups will be debuting this year, and I hope people support not only our group but the groups at other labels. I hope for K-pop culture to become one of enjoyment rather than competition.

Read full interview on BEATTITUDE. It's long, but insightful and her ideas are deserving of respect. There will be Part 2 as well.

Edited 2 times, last by Nux ().

• "It is both ironic and a pity how people transpose the contradictions they experience in everyday life onto the objects of their enjoyment wholesale. I understand many groups will be debuting this year, and I hope people support not only our group but the groups at other labels. I hope for K-pop culture to become one of enjoyment rather than competition."

I hope that ADOR and Lesserafim fans can relax and get along together. Even Min Heejin herself doesn't intend for the groups to be in competition with each other (along with making a profound statement about the toxicity of kpop competitiveness in general). There's room in the kpop market for both groups to be highly successful and make a name for themselves.

• I like how she directly addressed some of the rumors and the stuff that happened in the past three years.

But is this a thing now where not only do Kpop fans stan idols and labels, now we're gonna stan individual rando label executives? Most of us at AKP know better, all we do is joke around about LSM, YHS, JYP, etc, or bash them when they fuck up. But i see TW stans busting nuts shooting for Min Hee Jin. Like, have we now sunk to where even execs have their own akgaes? :pepefacepalm:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!