It is ok to acknowledge that kpop is targeted towards young teenage girls

• It is the truth.

And there is nothing wrong with it.

It is not an insult.

A young teenage girl is perhaps the best type of target audience and we need to END cringe culture. I’m not even remotely embarrassed for all my different fandom phases I had growing up.

Teenage girls are articulate and creative and an extremely intelligent audience base. I mean I was one I’d know :pepe-hehe:

But anyway whenever I see people offer rebuttal to those who mockingly say only teenage girls listen to kpop, they want to talk about how there are older men consuming the content or adults consuming the content, like that “validates” it and it pisses me off.

Kpop is valid because teenage girls consume it. End of.

Thanks for attending my TED talk.

• yeah... i mean its pretty obvious when you consider those college/boyfriend concepts for photoshoots with a lot of boy groups. i don't think its the same for girl groups though...

• I agree with this sentiment. It's okay if teenagers listen to K-pop. It's okay if anyone listens to K-pop.

No it’s ok to admit you like music aimed at the specific target audience of teenage girls and there’s nothing wrong with it.

You can like Shonen anime at any age, it won’t change the fact that Shonen is aimed at young boys. Similarly for kpop.

• yeah... i mean its pretty obvious when you consider those college/boyfriend concepts for photoshoots with a lot of boy groups. i don't think its the same for girl groups though...

FMSWV-UX0AIFKFk.jpg

According to this breakdown of album sales from a Korean retail site, even GGs end up appealing to more women than men. It's basically Izone/Brave Girls and several nugu/mid tier groups for the men, and everyone else is for the women, including the most popular groups like Aespa, StayC, MMM, Blackpink, RV, Twice, Gidle, etc.

KPOP as a genre is basically boyband music, and whether it's a BG like Backstreet Boys or a GG like Spice Girls, this entire genre appeals mostly to women judging by the data.

• i don't really get the chart, ngl. but that makes sense, i guess...

• If its targeted to teenage girls then why do so many adult men and women get into it? I'm genuinely curious.

because everyone had different likes and preferences 116016-jeno-eating-gif

• im gonna say in general terms yeah, but any opinion of this kind shared directly will be taken as personal attack to every teenage girl out there so its best left unsaid

just like you said with kpop, know your target audience and what they like/dislike

edit : to explain further, it is full of elements that are very easy to sell, and teenage girls just happen to be the majority of people who buy them

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• If its targeted to teenage girls then why do so many adult men and women get into it? I'm genuinely curious.

kim possible and totally spies were 2 tv shows which were originally made and targeted towards only girls but surprisingly gained high viewership among boys too. Why? Bc the shows were that good lol and managed to attract more than just its targeted audience, simple as that. People like what they like, regardless of whether they’re supposed to or “targeted” to or not lol. The targeted audience doesn’t have to be the only consumers of a product

i actually disagree. i think prior to 2018 with the cute/sexy wave, most GGs(aside from some exceptions) were (for the most part) aimed at male fans but D4 made such a profound impact that companies suddenly realized women have to ability buy albums/stream music that are released by women & as a result started marketing ggs towards female fans

you can see it with the constant girl crush/badass concepts in kpop.....those types of concepts are (again for the most part) LOVED by female fans

• Well, yeah, it's pop music.

There's an interesting paradox here though:

The intended target audience is teenage girls.

The composers & other creatives, however, are often (not always) men over 30.

So there's a level of artificiality and projection going on, like with all children's media.

When it's done well, it has universal appeal.

But when it's done badly, it goes beyond cringe: It's insulting.

The fact of k-pop having a target demographic of teen girls is not in itself a bad thing, but it makes it more likely for a certain kind of bad product to exist.

If you write with no definitive target audience in mind, you're much less likely to condescend or talk down to your audience.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!