Why is no one talking about the fact that Thailand has 2 mentors in top Chinese shows but Korea has none?

• Why is no one talking about the fact that Thailand has 2 mentors in top Chinese shows but Korea has none?

nene.jpg

strong lisa.jpg

and at the same time, so many Japanese trainees came to Chuang 2021, and there are also some in Youth with You 3, and there are also a lot of trainees from many other countries, but in both none Koreans...

who to blame? "kpop ban"?

I don't think so because Lisa wouldn't be there as an amazing kpop representative.
    + Amber is also a mentor this year...

Ok, ok I get that there are boys from RBW Japan, JYP China, and YG China but if I would be well trained Korean trainee from smaller agency I would hella go to those Chinese shows instead of sitting my ass in the basement and waiting for a chance that won't come to me in 97,86 %

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• For those who don't know, Thai entertainment itself is rising in China, even state media outlets recognize this trend...

Thai stars on the rise in China, while South Korean celebrities get cold shoulder

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1206633.shtml

Thai stars and entertainment have been making big headway in China lately. New Thai Boys' Love drama I Told Sunset About You has received high marks on Chinese media review platforms, surpassing the scores of several Chinese works and capturing the hearts of Chinese audiences. Meanwhile, Thai stars in popular dramas introduced to China have been gaining more fans in the country, even edging out some K-pop idols.

The five-episode drama that first began airing in October stars Thai actors Krit Amnuaydechkorn, also known as PP, and Putthipong Assaratanakul, stage name Billkin. The drama currently has a 9.5/10 on Chinese media review platform Douban, which is much higher than the new hit Netflix drama The Queen's Gambit.

Set in Phuket and deeply influenced by Thai-Chinese culture, the coming-of-age romance focuses on teenage boys Tae (Assaratanakul) and Oh-Aew (Amnuaydechkorn), two childhood friends who have been reunited at a language school as they prepare for university exams and later on grow closer both intimately and emotionally.

Two lead actors in the drama entered the spotlight on Chinese social media platforms after the drama went viral, just like many other popular Thai celebrities such as Mew Suppasit (Tharn) and Gulf Kanawut (Type), who gained a huge number of Chinese fans because their appearance in hit Thai dramas.

In addition to playing popular characters, appearing on variety shows is another way that Thai stars have been getting a foot in the door in China.

Thai entertainers Li Ziting and Yang Yunqing, for instance, captured audiences' attention in China through their appearances on a 2018 reality show. Meanwhile, two Chinese video platforms, Youku and Tencent, are preparing to debut competition shows in 2021 that will select outstanding young Thai talents to form an idol group together with other Chinese singers and dancers.

These moves, along with the rise in popularity of Thai dramas, are indicators of the increasing influence of Thai entertainment culture in China.

While Thailand's stars are rising in China, the opposite has been the case for South Korean entertainment in recent months due to a string of controversies.

A large number of once popular South Korean boy and girl bands have raised the ire of Chinese netizens with controversial actions or statements, putting the reputation of K-pop in China at risk.

Edited once, last by miile ().

• Chinese entertainment is basicly rule by Chinese politics.

Right now China is trying to discredit SKorea, but at the same time they are greedy about the kpop culture, so Lisa got to get inside through that small window-"we want Kpop music success, but we don´t want Koreans". The perfect example , Lisa.

did blackpink release a new album today?'s tweet - "#LALISA ACAB, aquí solo  respetamos a la POLISA " - TrendsmapID BI****S

OT4 BLINKS OR JAIL

I don't think so because Lisa wouldn't be there as an amazing kpop representative.

+ Amber is also a mentor this year...

Did you just pretending? How could you not see the obvious that these 2 were not Korean citizen?

For those who don't know, Thai entertainment itself is rising in China, even state media outlets recognize this trend...

Thai stars on the rise in China, while South Korean celebrities get cold shoulder

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1206633.shtml

Thai stars and entertainment have been making big headway in China lately. New Thai Boys' Love drama I Told Sunset About You has received high marks on Chinese media review platforms, surpassing the scores of several Chinese works and capturing the hearts of Chinese audiences. Meanwhile, Thai stars in popular dramas introduced to China have been gaining more fans in the country, even edging out some K-pop idols.

These moves, along with the rise in popularity of Thai dramas, are indicators of the increasing influence of Thai entertainment culture in China.

No way. No self hate but T-ent is way behind K-ent. I have not watched Thai drama for ages. The production quality albeit (slowly) improving, still is way beneath and the scenario is even worse. Thai producers themselves complaint about the lack of good scenarists in the country.

• Chinese entertainment is basicly rule by Chinese politics.

Right now China is trying to discredit SKorea, but at the same time they are greedy about the kpop culture, so Lisa got to get inside through that small window-"we want Kpop music success, but we don´t want Koreans". The perfect example , Lisa.

It's important to understand history so one can get the bigger picture. These survival shows although are licensed from Korea, the Korean survival shows are derived from Japan. Prior to Kpop's rise, Japanese entertainment was the driving force in Asia. Korea's government saw this as a threat to their own culture so they barred import of Japanese culture. Even til today, japanese words may not be streamed on Korean TV. Point is, it has nothing to do with discredit or greed but for their country to develop their own pop culture.

FYI, Politics rule all sovereignty not just China's.

✧ "Got no time for haters 모두 다 집어치워 버려" ✧

Edited once, last by winniethepb ().

• It's important to understand history so one can get the bigger picture. These survival shows although are licensed from Korea, the Korean survival shows are derived from Japan. Prior to Kpop's rise, Japanese entertainment was the driving force in Asia. Korea's government saw this as a threat to their own culture so they barred import of Japanese culture. Even til today, japanese words may not be streamed on Korean TV. Point is, it has nothing to do with discredit or greed but for their country to develop their own pop culture.

Yes, people also ignore the fact that Korea banned Chinese language and culture too until the 1980s. It also destroyed the use of hanja (Chinese characters) which until 1949 was used by Koreans for practically since the birth of the nation.

Culture is always politicized by Koreans too.

Why do I watch survival shows? This!

• Yes, people also ignore the fact that Korea banned Chinese language and culture too until the 1980s. It also destroyed the use of hanja (Chinese characters) which until 1949 was used by Koreans for practically since the birth of the nation.

This seems reasonable when your country splits and then gets invaded by 500K Chinese soldiers. Not just politics...a Cold War.

• I think the basic idea is not wrong but then Korean trainees have to explain why they are ditching the Korean market (in Chinese). They may even be asked to denounce Korean things for political reasons and become persona non grata in Korea. Not worth it.

The basic idea you propose was proven to be successful in Produce Japan though. Much easier path.

I think you could only really be mostly independent from politics if you're BTS--and even then you're not trying to stir things up. The Chinese government denounced them for minor comments around the Korean War and then got quiet really quick. Army is scary.

Anyway, I didn't realize Chuang 2021 had started yet. Just started checking out YWY3, it still sounds like they're pitch adjusting the vocals despite the "live vocal" requirement. I appreciated that Chuang 2020 didn't do things like overlay studio recordings over a practice session video.

• Yes, people also ignore the fact that Korea banned Chinese language and culture too until the 1980s. It also destroyed the use of hanja (Chinese characters) which until 1949 was used by Koreans for practically since the birth of the nation.

South Korea has never banned the use of hanja, only North Korea has. The use of hanja (in South Korea) diminished due to the removal from standard education curriculum but has been revived in a degree.

It's important to understand history so one can get the bigger picture. These survival shows although are licensed from Korea, the Korean survival shows are derived from Japan. Prior to Kpop's rise, Japanese entertainment was the driving force in Asia. Korea's government saw this as a threat to their own culture so they barred import of Japanese culture. Even til today, japanese words may not be streamed on Korean TV. Point is, it has nothing to do with discredit or greed but for their country to develop their own pop culture.

If it's important, you should learn it.

- Not all these survival shows are licensed by the Korean entity.

- Produce format did not derived from any Japanese show but inspired by AKB48's election and, obviously K-pop idol training system and Sixteen (by JYPE). Japan itself never had a tv survival show similar to Produce.

- Korean govt banned Japanese culture not because J showbiz was a threat but to wipe out the remnant or Japanese colonization.

• Let's not get too technical with the wording cause I'm not keen of it. My main point is, these countries established restrictions of other cultures to develop their own version.

This seems reasonable when your country splits and then gets invaded by 500K Chinese soldiers. Not just politics...a Cold War.

The war started with North Korea invading South Korea. China didn't invade but was requested to help the North Korean side. If you know Korean history, there was no "good side", both had a dictatorship except one was influenced by Soviet and China and the other was influenced by U.S.. if you heard of the Bodo League massacre, South Korea under the authority of the U.S. massacred 200,000 Koreans as they were suspected of helping the North Korean Communists. However, most of the suspicions were false.

Media plays a heavy role in narrating a story with an antagonist and a protagonist. To this day media is the least truth worthy source for news when it comes to politics.

• Let's not get too technical with the wording cause I'm not keen of it. My main point is, these countries established restrictions of other cultures to develop their own version.

The war started with North Korea invading South Korea. China didn't invade but was requested to help the North Korean side. If you know Korean history, there was no "good side", both had a dictatorship except one was influenced by Soviet and China and the other was influenced by U.S.. if you heard of the Bodo League massacre, South Korea under the authority of the U.S. massacred 200,000 Koreans as they were suspected of helping the North Korean Communists. However, most of the suspicions were false.

Media plays a heavy role in narrating a story with an antagonist and a protagonist. To this day media is the least truth worthy source for news when it comes to politics.

This is less media than just basic history from the view point of one side. Of course NK has gone even farther in the suppression of foreign influences as well.

If you look at it from the point of South Korea, then obviously there are reasons to be cautious about China in the 50-60 years.

Of course, the US and China effectively split up the Korean peninsula and they both have their reasons for doing so. So SK, even under US influence, does have some reasons to suppress Chinese culture in the past with a Cold War going on.

The original point was that things going back to decisions at that point in time aren't just simple politics. At the time, it was also survival. I don't know how many people here actually know what it was like to grow up during the Cold War with a fear of nuclear war. Thankfully, things are better now.

• Korea doing it is neither better nor worse than China blocking (some) Korean stuff now.

But the fact that China allowed KPOP/KDrama to gain a foothold in China until THAAD (while Korea was still imposing all sorts of restrictions on Chinese culture) means that Koreaboos should really stop playing the victim in this blame game.

It is not just entertainment where banning and prejudice occurs. It is across all of Korean society. Some of the most famous food (featured in K-movies/dramas) are Chinese and the Chinese people who developed it in Korea suffered a lot of prejudice.

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Why do I watch survival shows? This!

• We practically live in a cold war at this very moment. Things are not better...

Trade Wars, Sanctions, Proxy Wars in the Middle East, etc...

More countries have nuclear weapons than before and yet it's better? Infact, North Korea has intercontinental ballistic missiles that can reach the U.S. which they didn't have before.

What makes people think we are safer is our ability to access information now a days. However, the political atmosphere has not changed, there is a big divide again because there are two superpowers again, this time it's China and U.S.

Also your information is incorrect. Soviet Union and U.S. split Korea up. China at the time had little power or influence due to the economic crisis of the many wars China engaged in prior. China engaged in the war under the request of Soviet Union and NK. You also need to understand Macarthur engaged in bombing of Chinese villages along the North Korean Border, it's what triggered China to finally engage. China had warned the U.S. at multiple U.N. council meetings if they fought near the Chinese border, China would have to engage. Truman dismissed the warning because he was informed it was a bluff. Hence why General Macarthur was fired by Truman later on.

Also it's not survival, it's about unity. Both leaders at the time desired a unified Korea. NK at the time was more powerful than SK due to the extensive training provided by the Soviet Union. They also received more military equipments. Thus gave them the advantage to pull the trigger first. The very same problem exist today with China and Taiwan (both constitutions regard each other as theirs). Both countries want unity but the difference is under a different system and leader.

What I'm trying to convey is, we need to look at the perspectives from all side. Every side has their reason and every side has their media to influence history. History is heavily influenced by media, they are inseperable, because the winning side is always deemed as the heros. If Germany had won WW1, our history of WW1 would be significantly different than the history we have today. Same goes for Korea, if the U.S. fell rather than Soviet Union, the message would be alot different.

• So I don't disagree with most of your points. There are a lot of conflicting interests on different sides and I have been careful to cast any one nation as wrong-headed, merely self-interested.

I might only point out that though the Soviet Union was the entity that helped split up the Koreas, NK effectively became closer to a satellite nation for who? China.

We're getting back to a Cold War, but I'd argue the specter of nuclear war was still pretty real in the 80's. It's not even close but I'm happy to chat if you lived through this time.

Your unity argument is overly simplified. I highly doubt Taiwan wants a unity where it needs to govern mainland China. I agree with the reverse though. After the Korean War, I doubt that SK wanted to unify right away--it was clear that unification would require another major war. Even now, Koreans are wary of reunification because of the economic consequences.

• I'm not against countries imposing cultural restrictions based on national interests. I'm also well aware of prejudice against Chinese in Korea impacting Chinatowns there. One thing I might add though is: Korean people call it Chinese food in Korea rather than trying to appropriate the culture. In this instance, they give credit.

SK has many historical reasons to be angry at China and Japan. I'd rather not spend energy being angry about those things though. But that is more than enough reason to place cultural restrictions on Chinese culture.

My main issue with a k-pop ban would be that the rationale is very arbitrary. It makes it seem like China was looking for an excuse to limit hallyu to develop local entertainment industries. This is well within the rights of China though.

I do take issue with things that the Chinese government says that are overly sensitive...it's not a good look. But I can also understand that the past, the "Century of Humiliation" in particular, would make any nation touchy.

• North Korea effectively became closer to China because of Soviet Union's collapse. When Boris Yeltsin came into power after the establishment of the new Russian government, he supported South Korea over North Korea while China has continuously supported North Korea.

Although I didn't live through the 80s, I'm only 23, I've read a lot about the cold war. The nuclear threat still exist today, considering the fact more countries have nuclear weapons. Because of the NPT, an agreement where Russia and U.S. and many observers halted the development of Nuclear Arms and promoted Nuclear Energy, we do not see the same testing of nuclear weapons. However, just because the treaty exist, we shouldn't disregard the fact the nuclear tension doesn't. Just because no tests are exhibited doesn't mean we are free from a nuclear war. We live in a simulation era where scientist can predict the impact of the bomb without physically setting it off. I'm not sure if you have been aware of the hypersonic missile demonstration from Russia, those are meant for nuclear war heads, hence, the message has always been there but demonstrated in a differently. Russia, China, India, U.S. and other countries have been developing this technology for a while, because when it comes to nuclear warfare, the best offense is the best defense. Point is, the nuclear threat has always been there under our nose but it's hard for us to follow all the matters with technology advancing and normal citizens have so much more things to deal with these days.

When China first broke into two, mainland and Taiwan, Taiwan was economically and militarily stronger. That is why in their constitution, it claims mainland is under their sovereignty. Now that Mainland China is a superpower, at least economically, Taiwan doesn't have the capability and privilege to claim it anymore, they can only establish separation. The truth is, whoever is stronger, will always want unity.

Koreans clearly want unity, hence why we saw them as one entity in the 2018 Winter Olympics. The biggest problem with their unity is not only leadership but how to integrate North Koreans with the South Koreans without many socio-economic implications. It's pretty much near impossible for those two countries to unite without setting the South Koreans back. That is the reason why so many South Koreans are against it, but if that wasn't an issue, South Koreans wouldn't mind.

My main issue with a k-pop ban would be that the rationale is very arbitrary. It makes it seem like China was looking for an excuse to limit hallyu to develop local entertainment industries. This is well within the rights of China though.

I do take issue with things that the Chinese government says that are overly sensitive...it's not a good look. But I can also understand that the past, the "Century of Humiliation" in particular, would make any nation touchy.

China's been through many set backs, from the opium war to the Japanese invasion. It's similar to how black people went through slavery. You have to see it from their perspective rather than yours to get a sense of what they went through otherwise it's very easy to offend them. Another reason why the Chinese Government's say always seems overly sensitive has to do with your perception of China which is often times influenced by media. Most media outlets (Most Media outlet "claim they aren't affiliated with governments" but the reality is, most media outlets have politicians governing the entity, an example is FOX [Conservative, Republican], CNN [Democratic], the same problem exist on the international level All western media such as BBC, CBC, and DW are "Pro-U.S." while networks such as RT, CNA, and TRT are "Pro-China") which sides with the U.S. never says any positive about China and hence why your views of China isn't positive either. That's why it's very important to see it from all perspectives.

From my perspective, every country works in the favor of their own people first. That's why I'm not too critical when it comes to their actions. For example, people might not like the United States' Sanctions on other countries, it might not be the right avenue to take but we only did it for the sake of American interest or why North Korea will not ditch their nuclear bombs, it's because it's their only defense from U.S. invasion (Libya's Ghadafi, gave up their nuclear program and what happened? we still invaded them. Now that area has extreme instability is a huge breeding ground for ISIS and similar rebel groups).

Edited once, last by winniethepb ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!