Why no companies try to create their own Big Bang?

• With how anticipated Big Bang comeback is, and their insane digital achievements in Korea, why don’t more companies try to create their own Big Bang? With music geared towards the public and appealing to male fans, less emphasis on dance and visuals and idol image.Most 4th gen boy groups are more “idol-like” and are successful for having a huge fandom, but why don’t companies go for a Big Bang-type group that can pull interest from the public?

• I want to say it's not easy to create the next XYZ group...

it's what makes XYZ group XYZ whether it be BB or BTS or Twice or BP or whatever...

I'm sure lots of companies have tried doing it but failed because the public or the fans didn't see it that way or why go for the substitute when you can go for the original

• That’s what YG wanted with ikon,

I can’t remeber which episode but if you watch the survival show “mix and match” YG says he want ikon to be the next BigBang but on international level. Putting insane pressure on a group of young persons :oops:

• I think this is one of the best charts to separate the wheat from the chaff, this truly shows you who has GP interest. You literally only see YG boy groups and BTS on this chart. And yes, their efforts all pale in comparison to the dominance on display here by Bigbang.

This chart only includes like half of Bigbang's #1 hits, they have like at least nine other songs that have charted #1 on Melon Weekly, and maybe more that have charted #1 on Melon Daily, prior to 2014.

forum.allkpop.com/suite/attachment/169010/

BTS and Winner have four songs that managed to chart #1 on Melon Daily.

Ikon has three songs.

Sechskies has one song.

No other BGs, no other labels show up here except for a couple randos, if someone is gonna challenge Bigbang's records (40-50+ weeks at #1 on Melon Weekly Chart) it's gonna have to be either BTS who have 17-weeks i think or another YG group maybe a decade from now.

• Company nowadays are knowing that gp didn't bring that much to them. That's why new groups especially bg now are mostly supported by fans only and not really good on the charts. And obviously company know that female fans drive the fandom and buying more stuff from them then male audiences or gp. Compare to stream, album and merch sales will give more profits especially when tour is hard to done now. Bb is good in digital but they're not the best in physical, not saying they're not good in it.

• because it's not as easy as it sounds

first, big bang has a unique charisma that no other group has. TOP used to drive everyone crazy by just removing his sunglasses... i can't name a single male idol who can hype the crowd by just standing on stage and doing nothing the way big band did.

second, companies know that having a loyal fanbase ready to spend an enormous amount of money and time to support their group is much more beneficial than the gp being interested. imagine you're a CEO of an entertainment company - you wouldn't care if your group can crack Melon top 50 if they just sold 2M albums... it's much easier to appeal to a certain group of people and make them loyal fans than to try to satisfy the taste of the general public as a whole

third, kpop nowadays is all about dancing and synchronisation. even if a group decides to focus more on vocals than choreo, they won't go too far because let's be honest, few are the people who genuinely care about singing and rap when their boys can do backflips and splits on stage while being shirtless.

forth, if you want to succeed you need to create something original and interesting. as other users already said, why would you go for a poorly made substitute when the OG everyone loves is right there

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!