Biggest Hit makers of The 2nd and 3rd Generation? Big Bang and BTS?

• Those two generations are full of massive hits but which groups of each one have the most amount of hits. Which groups have the most consistent years getting hits through their careers out of each generation? And as a overall?

For the 2nd gen I have this contenders:

BIG BANG

SNSD

SISTAR

2NE1

I think for 2nd gen BIG BANG leads but I could be wrong.

for 3rd Gen we have:

TWICE

BLACKPINK

EXO

BTS

In 2018 I would say TWICE but now I think is probably BTS.

What do you guys think?

• SNSD and Super Junior for 2nd Gen.

Also I despise pitting Exo and BTS against each other. They’re both my all time fav boy groups, but Exo was the biggest boygroup from the beginning of their debut in 2012 until BTS takeover in 2016/2017. By this time the kpop fandom as a whole increased massively.

Also alot of BTS videos/songs pre 2016 didn’t start getting millions of views until they became big globally. So it seems like they were big since 2013, but that wasn’t the case.

Vachirawit “Bright” Chivaaree can get it every day all day all week every month all year for a lifetime.

4ca3c94a140c38326868f624c2d5d1b062af8138.gifv

• SNSD and Super Junior for 2nd Gen.

Also I despise pitting Exo and BTS against each other. They’re both my all time fav boy groups, but Exo was the biggest boygroup from the beginning of their debut in 2012 until BTS takeover in 2016/2017. By this time the kpop fandom as a whole increased massively.

Also alot of BTS videos/songs pre 2016 didn’t start getting millions of views until they became big globally. So it seems like they were big since 2013, but that wasn’t the case.

you act like kpop randomly became more global

and this is more about overall

• you act like kpop randomly became more global

and this is more about overall

When did I say kpop became randomly became global? Even then it everyone who has been a kpop fan since the 2000’s would know the hallyu wave wasn’t even this massive until maybe 5-6 years ago.

Even if you’re going with overall then yeah it would Exo/BTS for 3rd gen for most hits.

Vachirawit “Bright” Chivaaree can get it every day all day all week every month all year for a lifetime.

4ca3c94a140c38326868f624c2d5d1b062af8138.gifv

• although, it's still bts for 3rd gen imo,

i think twice could actually give bangtan a run for their money..

they have had many huge hits with gp: cheer up, tt, whats is love, like ooh ah,..

• BIGBANG leads 2nd gen (4 of their biggest hits came out in 2007-08), but 2NE1 and SISTAR were both very solid too.

By early 2019, BTS was comfortably ahead of Twice, Gaon confirmed it.

best selling digital artists on gaon.png

Keep in mind that BTS hadn't even released Persona (this graphic only counts up until March 30, 2019). They're easily the biggest group of their generation when it comes to digitals.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Even if you’re going with overall then yeah it would Exo/BTS for 3rd gen for most hits.

EXO are in a weird place. They were consistent from Growl until Love Shot, but none of their hits are certified. They have a fuck ton of downloads though.

For 3rd gen, if we're looking at just Korea:

1. BTS

2. TWICE

3. EXO

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• i think twice could actually give bangtan a run for their money..

they have had many huge hits with gp: cheer up, tt, whats is love, like ooh ah,..

When it comes to title tracks, they're about equal. TWICE has 22.5M certified downloads, BTS has 17.5M. BTS has 1.4B certified streams, TWICE has 1B.

BTS gets a huge edge because since LY:HER, their b-sides get 10s to 100s of millions in digital points.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• When it comes to title tracks, they're about equal. TWICE has 22.5M certified downloads, BTS has 17.5M. BTS has 1.4B certified streams, TWICE has 1B.

BTS gets a huge edge because since LY:HER, their b-sides get 10s to 100s of millions in digital points.

BTS has only managed to hit #1 on Melon Daily with FOUR songs. They are overrated digitally. Twice has double that. Gaon is too easily manipulated, i saw that musty trot singer getting #1 on Gaon with some ridiculous number of Gaon points because of fandom manipulation.

Stick to Melon and you'll see BTS isnt as strong as folks make them out to be. Koreans support them for their international fame, not necessarily their music.

• BTS has only managed to hit #1 on Melon Daily with FOUR songs. They are overrated digitally. Twice has double that. Gaon is too easily manipulated, i saw that musty trot singer getting #1 on Gaon with some ridiculous number of Gaon points because of fandom manipulation.

Stick to Melon and you'll see BTS isnt as strong as folks make them out to be. Koreans support them for their international fame, not necessarily their music.

All of this is nonsense that's only supported by your weird boner for dismissing BTS; next.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Just like how 'Lies' & 'Bang Bang Bang' are bigger than any other "2nd gen" songs, 'Spring Day' & 'Dynamite' are bigger than any other "3rd gen" songs. Both groups also have songs like 'Haru Haru' & 'Boy With Luv' which can be argued to be the 3rd biggest hits of their respective "generations".

I think it is pretty clear that BTS & Big Bang are outliers for not only kpop boy groups but all kpop groups in general in terms of Korean digitals.

• Just like how 'Lies' & 'Bang Bang Bang' are bigger than any other "2nd gen" songs, 'Spring Day' & 'Dynamite' are bigger than any other "3rd gen" songs. Both groups also have songs like 'Haru Haru' & 'Boy With Luv' which can be argued to be the 3rd biggest hits of their respective "generations".

I think it is pretty clear that BTS & Big Bang are outliers for not only kpop boy groups but all kpop groups in general in terms of Korean digitals.

Ding Ding

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• 3rd Gen BTS

2nd Gen, after everything is said and done, Lee Jieun

• SNSD has 4 National Hits under their belt with Gee being the Biggest Hit of all 2nd Gen and consistent #1s on Melon/Gaon.

If Gaon was officially launched pre 2010 then SNSD would have more. ITNW, Kissing You and Baby Baby were Moderate Hits

• so you are telling me this is without 2 of BTS's biggest hits included (BWL and Dynamite) + the album digitals that MOTS:7 had + their pretty incredible 2021 digital stats with Butter, PTD and MU.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!