Kpop first impressions (NCT)

• I never really thought of giving NCT much time. I only listened to them occasionally (being very generous here) and never bothered watching their performances let alone their shows or any kind of variety content. Therefore my assumptions about most members were completely... out of pocket.

The worst of it was probably Taeyong ;( I was regrettably prejudiced against him, not because of all the pre-debut rumours but because of all the pushing he seems to get from SM, I used to think it was undeserved. You can't imagine my shock when I got into NCT and realised that a- he was very charismatic, b- has a heightened sense of artistry and c- is ridiculously kind ;( so now he became one of my favorite members.

The rest is just hilarious. Like for example, I used to think Mark would be all cool and aloof :S and that Ten would reserved, awkward and shy :S and most importantly that Dream members and in particular Haechan would be boring :S

Basically everyone was the exact opposite of what I imagined :cryingr:

• Omg YES to everything. It’s exactly what happened to me. Especially the Haechan one and then when I actually saw him in motion I was dumbfounded for a whole day. I saw Mark speak during SuperM promotions many times and I thought he was one of the oldest but with a baby face. Like around the same age as Kai Taemin and Baekhyun because of the way he led the English interviews. Then I realized he was actually a baby! Seeing nct debut content was a culture shock on its own.

Overall, it never gets boring with NCT because everyday I learn something new and shocking. I am really glad I actually bothered to watch their content because I was always hesitant to and now I can’t imagine how much I have/would have missed.

lt64IYu.gif

• Omg YES to everything. It’s exactly what happened to me. Especially the Haechan one and then when I actually saw him in motion I was dumbfounded for a whole day. I saw Mark speak during SuperM promotions many times and I thought he was one of the oldest but with a baby face. Like around the same age as Kai Taemin and Baekhyun because of the way he led the English interviews. Then I realized he was actually a baby! Seeing nct debut content was a culture shock on its own.

Overall, it never gets boring with NCT because everyday I learn something new and shocking. I am really glad I actually bothered to watch their content because I was always hesitant to and now I can’t imagine how much I have/would have missed.

I don't know which was more shocking, Haechan being a mean girl or Mark being a goofball :angryr:

• Omg lol I had the same negative impression of Taeyong (shows how damaging haters and bandwagon hate can be). Now I realise how wrong I was. I thought Jaehyun would be the more gentle and feminine type for some reason but he’s super manly. I thought Yuta was scary and cold but he’s a sweetheart. I thought Jaemin was a super hyper extrovert but I realise he’s a super chill introvert who’s just a little bit crazy sometimes. I thought I would never ever get into nct because I thought the whole concept was ridiculous but I started watching their videos and fell into the rabbit hole and at some point when I watched this

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I realised to my shock that I somehow had gotten to know twenty over members, their names, positions, bio, personalities, quirks, etc. and I was like how?? I didn’t even try lol.

And now I think the concept is genius and might probably never happen again in kpop because of how ambitious and risky it is. But it really is so awesome how we have all these perfect sub-groups that we can get to know, and then every two years. have so much fun when they come together in a massive and awesome collaboration comeback.

I also like how so many of them practically grew up together from literal kids to teens to young adults. I think that’s why their dynamics is so good and why they seem so real and family like.

• "Ten would be reserved, awkward and shy".

Girl... ;( he's the definition of being shameless

I also thought like that when I saw him in SuperM. I only watched his dance stages prior SuperM and knew nothing than the English interviews. I really thought he was one of the most shy and reserved idols But then I saw other NCT content and wow...a whole hoe.

lt64IYu.gif

• I realised to my shock that I somehow had gotten to know twenty over members, their names, positions, bio, personalities, quirks, etc. and I was like how?? I didn’t even try lol.

And now I think the concept is genius and might probably never happen again in kpop because of how ambitious and risky it is. But it really is so awesome how we have all these perfect sub-groups that we can get to know, and then every two years. have so much fun when they come together in a massive and awesome collaboration comeback.

I also like how so many of them practically grew up together from literal kids to teens to young adults. I think that’s why their dynamics is so good and why they seem so real and family like.

So true for me too! I usually don’t watch guide to group’s members and stuff like that and only learn by experience through watching their official shows and stages so I thought nct would take me awhile but it didn’t and like each member somehow felt so essential and important for me to ignore. I am not the type who cares so much about loving all members equally or stuff like that but literally each one of them felt irreplaceable and important that I don’t give an f if they were 23 or 100 members anymore. I don’t understand how it happened so naturally and I didn’t “force” myself to love anyone of them. From a concept I thought to be stupid and was a reason for me to push the group away to a concept I think is giving me everything I want. It gives the opportunity to have many different song themes. Seeing great and interesting dynamics between each and each is endless. It’s indeed a genius idea but is very hard to achieve if you’re not a big company that loves to risk.

lt64IYu.gif

• So true for me too! I usually don’t watch guide to group’s members and stuff like that and only learn by experience through watching their official shows and stages so I thought nct would take me awhile but it didn’t and like each member somehow felt so essential and important for me to ignore. I am not the type who cares so much about loving all members equally or stuff like that but literally each one of them felt irreplaceable and important that I don’t give an f if they were 23 or 100 members anymore. I don’t understand how it happened so naturally and I didn’t “force” myself to love anyone of them. From a concept I thought to be stupid and was a reason for me to push the group away to a concept I think is giving me everything I want. It gives the opportunity to have many different song themes. Seeing great and interesting dynamics between each and each is endless. It’s indeed a genius idea but is very hard to achieve if you’re not a big company that loves to risk.

Yes, I wish people wouldn’t just write them off just because at first glance it seems like whoa! that’s too many people. Even now, I still come across offhand comments about how oh yeah they seem nice but there just too many of them etc. Even though the risk seems to be starting to pay off, I really hope they rise so much more because there are so many gems (Xiaojun, Taeil, Yuta, Yangyang, Kun, Hendery, etc) that I feel are still so underrated because to the “muggles”, these people get lost in the crowd.

Anyway, I’ve been telling myself that this year I wanna do a bit more to hype them up like make more threads, be more active on Twitter, etc just to spread even more awareness on the amazing individuals in nct and also to let people know that they can start by getting to know a sub-group (WayV, Dream, 127) which really only has about 5-9 members usually.

Do you know if there’s an nct taglist?

• Yes, I wish people wouldn’t just write them off just because at first glance it seems like whoa! that’s too many people. Even now, I still come across offhand comments about how oh yeah they seem nice but there just too many of them etc. Even though the risk seems to be starting to pay off, I really hope they rise so much more because there are so many gems (Xiaojun, Taeil, Yuta, Yangyang, Kun, Hendery, etc) that I feel are still so underrated because to the “muggles”, these people get lost in the crowd.

Anyway, I’ve been telling myself that this year I wanna do a bit more to hype them up like make more threads, be more active on Twitter, etc just to spread even more awareness on the amazing individuals in nct and also to let people know that they can start by getting to know a sub-group (WayV, Dream, 127) which really only has about 5-9 members usually.

Do you know if there’s an nct taglist?

usually i am more likely to like SM groups than other company groups because of their main vocalist standards, harmonisation/unison singing and music quality but i never gave NCT the time of the day aside from 7th sense because of their concept. i was one of the people who wrote them off and wrote essays about how their concept would never work because bla bla bla and now i feel like a huge clown :pepe-clown-gear:

i think my journey with NCT started with Kick It. it was the sponsor of quarantine for me lol. and the only reason i checked Kick It to begin with was because i fell in love with Mark's rap after Jopping. i was obsessed with Kick It you have no idea and it pushed me to check the album and i was surprised at 1- how good it actually was and 2- the contrast between my assumption about NCT's music and ......the reality.

and then Resonance happened and it confirmed my suspicion that i fucked up for not giving NCT a chance before lol

it pains me to confess that i have never listened to Boss, Regular, Simon Says, Touch, Limitless, Superhuman, Boom and anything from WayV until a few months ago. THOSE ARE NOW SOME OF MY FAVORITE KPOP SONGS

A whole clown i swear :pepe-clown-gear::pepe-clown-gear::pepe-clown-gear:

• Haha omg your preconceived notions about nct is pretty similar to mine. I never really strongly stanned other groups before, but definitely had a soft spot for exo because I genuinely think they’re one of the most talented yet visually appealing groups in their generation (member in top tiers in dance, vocals, acting, modelling and yes producing because Lay who’s an award winning producer in China...talk about a well-rounded idol group). Then when nct debuted with 7th sense, I was intrigued. But when I read about their concept then was shocked by their ghastly styling for subsequent comebacks (I really hate fire truck era styling), I (too) quickly said nah.

Tbh, the reason why I gave nct another chance was a weird dream starring Jaehyun at he beginning of quarantine, so I looked them up, then kick it promotions hapoened and bam less than a year later, here I am stanning nct harder than I have for any other group lol. They are honestly so interesting and fun and talented and family-like. Ugh I really wish more people would give them a chance.

• Haha omg your preconceived notions about nct is pretty similar to mine. I never really strongly stanned other groups before, but definitely had a soft spot for exo because I genuinely think they’re one of the most talented yet visually appealing groups in their generation (member in top tiers in dance, vocals, acting, modelling and yes producing because Lay who’s an award winning producer in China...talk about a well-rounded idol group). Then when nct debuted with 7th sense, I was intrigued. But when I read about their concept then was shocked by their ghastly styling for subsequent comebacks (I really hate fire truck era styling), I (too) quickly said nah.

Tbh, the reason why I gave nct another chance was a weird dream starring Jaehyun at he beginning of quarantine, so I looked them up, then kick it promotions hapoened and bam less than a year later, here I am stanning nct harder than I have for any other group lol. They are honestly so interesting and fun and talented and family-like. Ugh I really wish more people would give them a chance.

The audience wants to hear more about your Jaehyun based dream :pepe-flirt:

• At first I was very much like “naw.” As a fan of EXO and someone who liked a number of Shinee songs, stuff like The Seventh Sense and Fire Truck just wasn’t for me, and the look and feel just felt too try hard in that era especially when EXO was making some classics. I thought Cherry Bomb was interesting but still not for me. (Which is amusing now because I love the Seventh Sense and Cherry Bomb, but hey I didn’t like some early Exo either, so what can I say.) I certainly thought they were impressive dancers (esp getting a chance to perform with EXO), but it was really Boss and that whole Empathy album that got me into NCT. That’s when I realized there were some VOICES and oof, down the rabbit hole into NCity I went. I sort of drifted away from paying close attention to Kpop over the last year or two but quarantine life sent me down the rabbit hole again to enjoy all the great social media content and get back into the Kpop groove more. (I still followed my faves’ music but I wasn’t so up to date on specific in-fandom jokes and such.)

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• At first I was very much like “naw.” As a fan of EXO and someone who liked a number of Shinee songs, stuff like The Seventh Sense and Fire Truck just wasn’t for me, and the look and feel just felt too try hard in that era especially when EXO was making some classics. I thought Cherry Bomb was interesting but still not for me. (Which is amusing now because I love the Seventh Sense and Cherry Bomb, but hey I didn’t like some early Exo either, so what can I say.) I certainly thought they were impressive dancers (esp getting a chance to perform with EXO), but it was really Boss and that whole Empathy album that got me into NCT. That’s when I realized there were some VOICES and oof, down the rabbit hole into NCity I went. I sort of drifted away from paying close attention to Kpop over the last year or two but quarantine life sent me down the rabbit hole again to enjoy all the great social media content and get back into the Kpop groove more. (I still followed my faves’ music but I wasn’t so up to date on specific in-fandom jokes and such.)

And how do you feel about Fire Truck now? :pepe-cute:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!