English spelling and pronunciation makes no sense

• Here's a poem that shows its absurdities

I Take it You Already Know

I take it you already know
    Of tough and bough and cough and dough?
    Others may stumble, but not you,
    On hiccough, thorough, lough and through?
    Well done! And now you wish, perhaps,
    To learn of less familiar traps?
    Beware of heard, a dreadful word
    That looks like beard and sounds like bird,
    And dead: it's said like bed, not bead -
    For goodness sake don't call it deed!
    Watch out for meat and great and threat
    (They rhyme with suite and straight and debt).
    A moth is not a moth in mother,
    Nor both in bother, broth in brother,
    And here is not a match for there
    Nor dear and fear for bear and pear,
    And then there's dose and rose and lose -
    Just look them up - and goose and choose,
    And cork and work and card and ward,
    And font and front and word and sword,
    And do and go and thwart and cart -
    Come, come, I've hardly made a start!
    A dreadful language? Man alive!
    I'd mastered it when I was five!

I Take It You Already Know by Richard Krogh

• that's why english sucks lol

I feel most other languages if you know the alphabet you can sound any word out on the first try with little exceptions

• People who have learned English as a second language are basically wizards.

I'd throw myself off a cliff if I had to learn this shit.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I think any language has such problems

It's a bit different for each language I would say. What I mean is you can for example rhyme these words in German: Tu, Schuh, Kuh, dazu, tabu

another interesting rhyme in German are the words Schema and Thema

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• I think any language has such problems

It's a bit different for each language I would say. What I mean is you can for example rhyme these words in German: Tu, Schuh, Kuh, dazu, tabu

another interesting rhyme in German are the words Schema and Thema

Well a good portion of English and German come from the same ancestor. Both Germanic languages...

• Almost no one (if fact no one I know) spells it hiccough. Hiccup is a more often used. Google says the UK still uses it though and I did recognize (but I'm a bookworm so)

I had no idea, thanks for explaining! “Boug”h is another word I also have never heard before, I only heard “bought”.

• "Aren't I" is actually gramatically correct but it drives me crazy how weird it looks.

And whenever you use "its" or "yours" or something like that...THERE SHOULDN'T BE AN APOSTROPHE BUT IT FEELS LIKE THERE SHOULD!! It's mindboggling. :pepe-life-support:

Well, it depends on what you mean with "its" and "it's"... but yes, if you mean the possessive form, you are correct!

• I always misspell words too. Like honestly.

And what is this canceled? Is it with one "l" or two because I always think that it's two but Grammarly says "nope, you're drunk, lemme fix that"

Grammarly is being 'murican. Both are acceptable, trust me. The double L spelling is more prevalently used in other English-speaking countries.

• Well, it depends on what you mean with "its" and "it's"... but yes, if you mean the possessive form, you are correct!

Yep! Exactly :borahae:

But literally, though, I think I told you this before but "its" and "yours" when used in the correct form, is grammatically correct. But it looks so wrong. Is it just because I'm used to things like "it's" or "your's"

And I don't know why I keep getting it mixed up because this is literally what you learn in 5th grade, maybe younger. ;(

ღ Happy Birthday / 10.18.2005 ღ

6f2600f9ca710c96c5228757df28dbe5d21c9ff1.gifv giphy.gif 84e36da9f196e239f5a3bc0d2103c8cce10f4953.gifv

• Yep! Exactly :borahae:

But literally, though, I think I told you this before but "its" and "yours" when used in the correct form, is grammatically correct. But it looks so wrong. Is it just because I'm used to things like "it's" or "your's"

And I don't know why I keep getting it mixed up because this is literally what you learn in 5th grade, maybe younger. ;(

Cause your mind has rationalized apostrophes for possessive? I mean, the majority ARE that way so it makes sense that some people would have trouble with it.

• Grammarly is being 'murican. Both are acceptable, trust me. The double L spelling is more prevalently used in other English-speaking countries.

Oh...I see. Then that makes sense. So kind of like "colour" in other English dialects while 'muricans say "color"?

See, I know that some people say different things for the same thing depending on where they're from, even within America. But it takes some getting used to when you hear British English call elevators "lifts", french fries "chips", cookies "biscuits" (though this one is odd because I heard a cookie biscuit is a specific type of cookie but they still call chocolate chip cookies cookies), cotton candy "fairy floss", etc.

6f2600f9ca710c96c5228757df28dbe5d21c9ff1.gifv giphy.gif 84e36da9f196e239f5a3bc0d2103c8cce10f4953.gifv

• Oh...I see. Then that makes sense. So kind of like "colour" in other English dialects while 'muricans say "color"?

See, I know that some people say different things for the same thing depending on where they're from, even within America. But it takes some getting used to when you hear British English call elevators "lifts", french fries "chips", cookies "biscuits" (though this one is odd because I heard a cookie biscuit is a specific type of cookie but they still call chocolate chip cookies cookies)

This is because chocolate chip cookies were invented by by an American baker!!!

• agreed, it's the only language I know but I always have to look up words to make sure I spelt them right :pepeshock:

IKR...THE PAIN IS REAL :pepe-sad:

I remember, my mom made me take Spanish I in 8th grade and I remember telling her "how can I learn another language if I've been learning about English all my life, I've been spoken to English for 99.90% of my life and I still struggle with some of the many rules."

No, I didn't actually say that because I would've gotten yelled at for my attitude.

But seriously though, they say English is one of the hardest languages to learn for a non-native speaker because of the millions of rules that most of them don't even exist in other languages.

Spanish is a LOT easier than English imo because once you have the basic rules down, you're pretty much set.

• But seriously though, they say English is one of the hardest languages to learn for a non-native speaker because of the millions of rules that most of them don't even exist in other languages.

I dunno if it's hard. I've talked to a lot of learners and English is easy get started with, but hard to master apparently. But do you really need to master it? To be conversational, I don't think so.

• English sucks linguistically it's not that musical sounding, so much of it is random. Though as an english major I will admit there are some amazing books in it especially since it sounds so rough making it sound pleasurable in writing should be considering excellent in itself as say French, Italian and Spanish literature always sounds beautiful when read aloud, english not so much.

• I dunno if it's hard. I've talked to a lot of learners and English is easy get started with, but hard to master apparently. But do you really need to master it? To be conversational, I don't think so.

I'm not sure...I've heard the opposite and I heard it to be the large census. But if you talked to people learning personally, then I think it would be better than some sort of thing you found on the internet ^^

But it's definitely convenient how if you're a native English speaker with family members who are native or at least fluent in English, then you learn when you're younger just by hearing them speak until you go to school and learn actual phonics and your ABCs. I know people who speak Spanish and grew up speaking Spanish because their environment was the same thing and if you grow up in another country and go to school there the first school years of your life, you'll learn the same things but like the very basics of the language in that country.

But my point is, it's interesting to me when you're learning a language, it's sometimes best to have the mindset of a kindergartner who's learning the very basics of that language in the country that's native to that language. Like if you grew up in Spain and went to K-2 grade there, you're going to learn the basics of Spanish in whatever dialect in the area you grew up in. And that way you can learn the very basics of the language you're trying to learn. And trust me, being in the media (watching shows, listening to music, reading books and news) in that language helps you a TON. You prob shouldn't try to learn a language without having some media in there. Like you wanted to learn Korean. Watching K-drama and listening to Kpop or watching Vlives or your favorite groups' reality shows REALLY helps

I'm in 3rd level of Spanish and my teacher has books a Spanish-speaking school would give to their kindergarteners. Very, very simple books with simple vocabulary. Like "It was raining outside. It was not sunny outside. Sally couldn't play a game with her friends. Sally was sad."

• Born and raised in Miami :* But I agree with you that immersion is the best situation to learn in!

• Born and raised in Miami :* But I agree with you that immersion is the best situation to learn in!

Yep! It has helped me the most :blushing:

And like I edited in last minute but media (music, books, movies, shows, etc.) in that language and culture really helps for those interested learning more about those things.

Like say, you wanted to learn Korean, K-drama, listening to Kpop music or watching survival shows, Vlives or your favorite groups' reality shows and variety show appearances, really help and most people work that way.

I think it helps because most people are visual people and listen best when they can see. And if you're a KPOP or Kdrama fan and want to learn the language, you could immerse yourself in what you enjoy to help you learn better. Sort of the same if you were an anime/J-drama/J-pop/manga fan who wanted to learn Japanese.

• Spelling and pronunciation wise English is definitely a nightmare. It kind of makes up for it by being easy to learn but it's also very difficult to master. I remember that it took me less than a year before I was able to have basic conversations. Another before I could follow more complex lectures. But that's where I've been stuck ever since. I never managed to improve any further.

Another thing I never managed to get the hang of is the pronunciation. People can never quite pinpoint where I'm from but they can immediately tell I'm not a native speaker and the general concensus seems to be that I sound like a posh English person putting on a fake French accent or a French person trying to speak the queen's English. Which is pretty neat. I never actually learned French yet get to sound like a French person when speaking English.

• Spelling and pronunciation wise English is definitely a nightmare. It kind of makes up for it by being easy to learn but it's also very difficult to master. I remember that it took me less than a year before I was able to have basic conversations. Another before I could follow more complex lectures. But that's where I've been stuck ever since. I never managed to improve any further

Same :pepecry:

• This thread contains 21 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!