Is Nayeon's surname Im or Lim?

• It's the same as Lee. In korean it's "ee" or as the rest of the western would say/write "i", but for some reason they added L. Correct korean pronunciation is "im" or "eem". Maybe they added it because English people would read "i" as "eye' and they didn't want that? No idea

• Short answer, yes both.

Longer answer is that the Romanization of Korean is really difficult. The translation of her surname can be written as both Im and Lim, occasionally even Kim, depending on who is doing the translating.

If you've watched Sixteen, you'll notice that Jeongyeon's name back then was spelled Jungyeon when put in English. Just different English ways of spelling the same Korean letters.

I left my heart in LA again. Please continue taking good care of it.

Longer answer is that the Romanization of Korean is really difficult. The translation of her surname can be written as both Im and Lim, occasionally even Kim, depending on who is doing the translating.

If you've watched Sixteen, you'll notice that Jeongyeon's name back then was spelled Jungyeon when put in English. Just different English ways of spelling the same Korean letters.

Oh okay, thanks!

And I heard about that last part. I always thought it was funny how I-fans would say Jungyeon during the early days of Twice's career and pre-debut especially. I never knew there was this logic behind it...

ღ Happy Birthday / 10.18.2005 ღ

6f2600f9ca710c96c5228757df28dbe5d21c9ff1.gifv giphy.gif 84e36da9f196e239f5a3bc0d2103c8cce10f4953.gifv

Kim? How exactly we got a k?

I don't think is difficult. Jay b isn't jaebum but jaebeom. Jung kook is actually jeongguk romanized but he chose the first spelling because it's easier. I don't know who's the person you mentioned but maybe they did the same.

Eta: she's from twice! Got confused by the spelling :)

• I don't think is difficult. Jay b isn't jaebum but jaebeom. Jung kook is actually jeongguk romanized but he chose the first spelling because it's easier. I don't know who's the person you mention but maybe they did the same.

Yeah, this actually proves my point. It's difficult because we can choose to Romanize it in many different ways. Choosing to use Jungkook, actually makes a lot of people mispronounce his name.

• Kim? How exactly we got a k?

I don't think is difficult. Jay b isn't jaebum but jaebeom. Jung kook is actually jeongguk romanized but he chose the first spelling because it's easier. I don't know who's the person you mention but maybe they did the same.

Oh yeah. Well, quick question w JK...did he choose that before or during being an idol? If so, then I don't think Jeongyeon did that...I think it's simply what it translates to in English with the romanization. Also, Jeongyeon isn't fluent in English and Twice's main focus has been regionally. So I don't think she would make that choice prior to Twice but it's less likely she would do it for Twice either...

I-fans started with Jungyeon and then called her Jeongyeon has time passed from what I've seen (YT comments are a great way to test this lmao)

6f2600f9ca710c96c5228757df28dbe5d21c9ff1.gifv giphy.gif 84e36da9f196e239f5a3bc0d2103c8cce10f4953.gifv

• Yeah, this actually proves my point. It's difficult because we can choose to Romanize it in many different ways. Choosing to use Jungkook, actually makes a lot of people mispronounce his name.

I think he did it because of BTS but I think Jeongyeon prob wouldn't have done that since it's mainly a thing with I-fans and Twice's main focus is regionally but they are slowly branching out more and Jeongyeon isn't fluent in English.

• Yeah, this actually proves my point. It's difficult because we can choose to Romanize it in many different ways. Choosing to use Jungkook, actually makes a lot of people mispronounce his name.

Jungkook isn't mispronounced, it's pronounced exactly how it was written. His name would be mispronounced if it was written as jeong guk, foreigners would have troubles with eo and g. They all know their english versions of names are a bit different (last name park that's actually bak, already mentioned lee and ee/i). Jk chose jungkook as his stage name because it's easier to write and pronounce it

• If so, then I don't think Jeongyeon did that...I think it's simply what it translates to in English with the romanization. Also, Jeongyeon isn't fluent in English and Twice's main focus has been regionally. So I don't think she would make that choice prior to Twice but it's less likely she would do it for Twice either...

I-fans started with Jungyeon and then called her Jeongyeon has time passed from what I've seen (YT comments are a great way to test this lmao)

It wasn't even just I-fans that did it. The Sixteen producers translated it to Jungyeon.

It's spelled that way on the Blackmail boxes in episode 3

pasted-from-clipboard.png

• It wasn't even just I-fans that did it. The Sixteen producers translated it to Jungyeon.

It's spelled that way on the Blackmail boxes in episode 3

pasted-from-clipboard.png

Oh, interesting. Isn't that bc of the romanization when translated into English when in Korean it's simply pronounced and has the alphabet syllables of Jeongyeon?

• Jungkook isn't mispronounced, it's pronounced exactly how it was written. His name would be mispronounced if it was written as jeong guk, foreigners would have troubles with eo and g. They all know their english versions of names are a bit different (last name park that's actually bak, already mentioned lee and ee/i). Jk chose jungkook as his stage name because it's easier to write and pronounce it

Everywhere I've ever seen to learn how to pronounce his name correctly has used the softer "j" sound like in joy and the "g" like in good. Maybe those places were trying to teach me how to say it with proper Korean pronunciation.

• Oh, interesting. Isn't that bc of the romanization when translated into English when in Korean it's simply pronounced and has the alphabet syllables of Jeongyeon?

I think it basically boils down to choice. Originally they translated it one way. After the group was formed they may have let the members themselves pick how they wanted it Romanized. No one really knows.

• Oh yeah. Well, quick question w JK...did he choose that before or during being an idol? If so, then I don't think Jeongyeon did that...I think it's simply what it translates to in English with the romanization. Also, Jeongyeon isn't fluent in English and Twice's main focus has been regionally. So I don't think she would make that choice prior to Twice but it's less likely she would do it for Twice either...

Yep, he chose that spelling for his stage name because as we've established it's easier for foreign fans to pronounce it.

But is eo and all jaebEOm, jEOng gug and JEOngyeon have the letter in their names

• I think it basically boils down to choice. Originally they translated it one way. After the group was formed they may have let the members themselves pick how they wanted it Romanized. No one really knows.

I think it's a little deeper than that on what logically works but any language translation to English can be a bit difficult. But I also agree with you.

• Oh, interesting. Isn't that bc of the romanization when translated into English when in Korean it's simply pronounced and has the alphabet syllables of Jeongyeon?

There has been many romanization systems in Korean. Most family names use an older romanization for historical reasons. One example is Samsung that should actually be called Samseong, but since it's a surname it kept the old spelling.

As for first names it really depends. There are people called Seul-gi and people called Seul-ki, although in Korean it's the same.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!