[Naver]Everglow's Yiren stirs controversy after refusing to kneel at Korean fan meet due to cultural differences

• Everglow's Yiren stirs controversy after refusing to kneel at Korean fan meet due to cultural differences

AVvXsEhRze-_ON7EkkvY3D_Njdg76HZMaPn7qYd5BexKI1tKaVCbQlkCFqmczjm7mA90PC_H157hPWJswYkKt_Nu91yLu5R48EBuxZTwYpQaLAExZMJ1fWIc8ICG6qIwploceV2yTKG3ZtLIUcLFDOhx4oiqfvozAJ4uizHiLQPq9n8r770edxwpyltogvAl=w640-h374

AVvXsEgxKqdIsrpeEt-9xoC-EgtRQrmDHIL-uFlumo7OBsbrScBKt3o9LfIX3UCeBcGbAHGcUMJfFOjpgj9KLsdQEm7idl0v5KmWFtNFnNE22W79SgYPef-Jcg08OC2E1OnAZjGzKYosh3LkbdQF2va4xlcrnDTPlIeISAKpIDO4k7lNtmB-9Cd5EE4cYpNR=s16000

Article: "The Chinese don't kneel" Chinese idol member is the only one who doesn't deep bow

Source: Everyday Economy via Naver

1. [+5,459, -15] No more Chinese idols

2. [+2,499, -20] Just look at her character. This is the risk you take on when you choose to bring in a Chinese idol to train. How many Chinese idols have already backstabbed Korean companies after gaining popularity? How can you see how successful BTS is and still bring in Chinese members into these groups?

3. [+945, -14] I am sick and tired of the Chinese and their Sinocentrism...

4. [+175, -1] Then why does she bother singing in Korean? Why learn Korean at all? Can we please stop taking in these CCP kids and training them!!!

5. [+91, -1] Return her to her country if she refuses to accept and follow Korean culture

-

AVvXsEh56tnQBaz5Q0L6_gOZvEwMuLsBQuUe65kGiq0qZUJBdph-M0b0nptT99-emkxo3yd3YdbZxU1wFHbCuVCE0IjdfwL-IoB6NCmis8ukbqRLYXbCUH14XrXfPJqzYoiILEqKORXlt3kEMNYXLlpcItAFmpsgYpFBfpnes6WBeX9eCfoepMFJOGRVBa4U=s16000
    Chinese netizens on Weibo have been keeping track of which Chinese idols have knelt and which haven't

Source: Naver

1. [+3,759, -22] And why is she promoting in Korea then? Screw off

2. [+1,041, -8] These Chinese are constantly coming to our country to suck up all the goods and bring it back to China... Entertainment companies need to stop casting Chinese members.

3. [+581, -9] This is my first time finding out about her... and I already despise her

4. [+429, -19] I don't like Chinese members so I won't say much but she could've stepped back when her other members were giving their deep bows at least out of respect and consideration

5. [+413, -8] Stop making Korean money and go back to your country then

6. [+310, -1] I can understand her reasoning... but if her team is Korean and working in Korea and greeting their fans in the Korean way, she should just stay home in China. Why is it okay for her to make her money in Korea but she can't bow for her Korean fans? Korean companies really need to stop picking Chinese idols.

7. [+171, -0] It's important to uphold your own country but it's also important to respect another country's culture as well. Just because she's Chinese, it's inconsiderate of her to refuse to partake in the culture of the country that she's living in.

8. [+110, -0] No more Chinese idols!!!!!

-

AVvXsEimhLzXgmpruhikZMuTWmTz-kO2XmVqFa9LmcQdTo2aMchD7CiykCWecd2EIwJ0n4gqVlrYsxFVT6uEhrBtpxINh6PHwGwace-d4ZQbfCxsMg_BR55IUygxYHMnDRxRY9kBODipdBAX4xDwMaYrbYPu1_QJvjH1ZzBPeo1FKifH9oS4aElDE09Rjetn=w640-h527
    Chinese media explains that the Chinese only kneel for the heavens, the earth, and their parents

Source: Naver

1. [+161, -1] It is not wrong for a Chinese person to want to greet the Chinese way but if she's in Korea and making Korea money, she should've just done the deep bow

2. [+63, -1] All this shows is that the Chinese are arrogant and have no respect or consideration for other cultures~~ good going on them

3. [+37, -0] This is so ridiculous to me. You're in another country, making money on their land, and yet you look down on their culture and etiquette? How do you expect to be a star in that country with such a mindset? It's basic manners to follow the culture of the country that you're visiting...

4. [+37, -1] China has a ban on Hallyu culture, why can't Korean entertainment companies start kicking out all of the Chinese idols? Just keep the girl groups al Korean.

5. [+4, -0] This makes me feel uncomfortable. Our country is not China~

-

AVvXsEjAN-AAsHvbL0J5mJFg7Yk780GIFD6BkDWoSaaz9Ysznpv9H4cUTnIkf_xemNEFZQ-uL_DbC05YI4M-zxQSJKH0Wmu-OdOoVfzaV9Eq_2f7ehuXJ4KrVjwgirTWrsRlEMc9jyDNcW1PEDRJtVD-2BeDXjUbg8GAQxKOcBNFEc0qula-6UTgG7D3Wnof=s16000

Source: TBig News via YouTube

1. [+106] There are two things that need to happen for Everglow to get popular: #1 kick out Yiren, #2 get a legendary stage on 'Queendom 2'. There are groups with zero controversy struggling to make it, how do you expect a group with a controversy every year to do any better?

2. [+92] Groups with Chinese members are basically ticking time bombs. No matter how much you trust the members and think nicely of them, they will always end up causing a scandal. Even the groups that haven't had a scandal yet are just ticking time bombs for one. I bet they're all promoting with anxiety because they know that moment will come. It's best for both countries to just return these members back home before any ill feelings fester.

3. [+70] Please, stop picking Chinese members ㅠㅠ

4. [+34] Well, it's over for this group in Korea now

5. [+14] They're in a sticky situation. They can't kick Yiren out because their company is mostly Chinese and their fanbase is made up of 90% international fans. But if they keep her, they will never have a domestic fanbase ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ controversy aside, Yiren's visuals always stun me

6. [+15] The least she could've done is greeted her fans the Chinese way if she didn't want to do a deep bow the Korean way... ㅋㅋㅋ she should just screw off instead of negatively impacting her group like this

7. [+39] She came to Korea hoping to earn success... why not just go work in China then? Or are you only here in Korea to stack up your popularity before you go back?

8. [+117] Why is she being like this in Korea ㅠㅠㅠ

9. [+10] She's already setting up the foundation for her Chinese debut

10. [+3] Isn't there the saying... when in Rome, do as the Romans do? Isn't it common sense to follow Korean culture if you're working in Korea? If she loves her Chinese culture so much, why not go debut there and screw off? Why work in Korea at all?

11. [+45] What's she trying to say? That she thinks her country is bigger and better than ours so she refuses to kneel before lesser people?

12. [+18] Then go be a singer in your own country ㅋㅋㅋ

• If this was such a big deal to Yiren (not wanting to do the New Years bowing thing due to cultural differences) then her label probably couldve planned an excuse for Yiren, just have her leave temporarily or leave early due to feeling "sick".

But honestly, this wont impact EG in the slightest in Korea. Nobody bothers to listen to them anyway since Korean GP are tasteless wbk, and their fans and her solo stans wont care about this.

• The situation isn't that big of a deal but she should have bowed. Cultural difference is bullshit unless its something seriously against your life like certain religion etc. The old saying " When in Rome do as the Romans do" applies heavily here. Properly greeting someone in their native form when you are in their country is a sign of respect. Everyone knows this or did we forget that? I'm suprised the woke crowd isn't dragging her considering that's the thing they bang on the most is race and respect of xyz culture. But seriously this is the most basic of common sense. That you greet others the correct way. You are free to do what you please at your home and in your own country but once you step foot in someone else's house and in their land you act respectfully. I hope she has brains in the future because we know in some places doing the wrong greeting can get you hurt, go fuck that up in Afghanistan and watch you get shot some places take disrespect way too seriously

• but she didn’t “refuse”. Whatever she was doing, she was being polite about it looking at the GIF.

Was the “Chinese don’t kneel” what she actually said or the journalist trying to get a big headline on the article.

I need more context.

Anyway, this controversy seems too extreme lol and is more about hating on Chinese. Like at the end of day it’s cultural differences.

tumblr_nzies3E9yh1uf1itwo1_500.gif

LORD & SAVIOR PARK JIHYO | ITZY | YUKIKA | RUANN | | TWICE | BRAVE GIRLS | APRIL | FROMIS_9 | TOMMY FEBRUARY6

• The situation isn't that big of a deal but she should have bowed. Cultural difference is bullshit unless its something seriously against your life like certain religion etc. The old saying " When in Rome do as the Romans do" applies heavily here. Properly greeting someone in their native form when you are in their country is a sign of respect. Everyone knows this or did we forget that? I'm suprised the woke crowd isn't dragging her considering that's the thing they bang on the most is race and respect of xyz culture. But seriously this is the most basic of common sense. That you greet others the correct way. You are free to do what you please at your home and in your own country but once you step foot in someone else's house and in their land you act respectfully. I hope she has brains in the future because we know in some places doing the wrong greeting can get you hurt, go fuck that up in Afghanistan and watch you get shot some places take disrespect way too seriously

why are we non koreans discussing what she should’ve done and what she shouldn’t have

• If this was such a big deal to Yiren (not wanting to do the New Years bowing thing due to cultural differences) then her label probably couldve planned an excuse for Yiren, just have her leave temporarily or leave early due to feeling "sick".

But honestly, this wont impact EG in the slightest in Korea. Nobody bothers to listen to them anyway since Korean GP are tasteless wbk, and their fans and her solo stans wont care about this.

it’s not even that look at the demographic

it’s all dudes in their 40s and 50s

those men do NOT listen to everglow hsjshsjsj this won’t impact anything and looking at the comments it’s the same old chinese idol hating men who jump at the tiniest opportunity to trash on them

• it’s not even that look at the demographic

it’s all dudes in their 40s and 50s

those men do NOT listen to everglow hsjshsjsj this won’t impact anything and looking at the comments it’s the same old chinese idol hating men who jump at the tiniest opportunity to trash on them

Literal musty old incels hating on her, it figures lol.

That's the wrong take boy.

It's not like she's disrespecting their culture or she hasn't accepted their culture at all. There are certain things that goes against her values and her culture and it would be inappropriate for her to do so.

She isn't pulling the fucking Logan Paul who yelled and threw fish at people which cause a public disturbance in Japan. She doesn't want to kowtow cause in her culture it would be inappropriate to do so.

If Kpop wants to be global, they have to be open and able to accept different cultures around the world. They don't have to accept all but they must be understanding. It's like how the MC on weekly idol were understanding on why the two Chinese idols on Seventeen didn't kowtow.

Here is the problem that most people fail to acknowledge. What's more disgusting is the fact that she received thousands of hate comments and yet people who aren't even Chinese nor are Korean trying to judge the way she should've presented herself that day. This is the classic Red Herring Fallacy where people ignoring/avoiding the main issue at hand here. It's not what she did but it's how the knetz reacted and the racial discrimination she received. That's something the international community should discussing and potential condemning.

If you want to understand from for a Chinese perspective on this Kowtow issue, I spoke to a few C-forevers regarding to this topic and I shared their info on Twitter.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

✧ "Got no time for haters 모두 다 집어치워 버려" ✧

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!