Experimental done right?

• It seems like most ''experimental'' songs tend to have a very polarizing or an overwhelmingly bad reception

So I'm wondering - what are some songs from that realm that you find to be actually good and/or universally liked?How would you even define ''experimental'' in the first place?

Discuss

and @trolls I will not hesitate to pepper spray you.

• IGAB. Probably the originator of the multiple songs in 1 in kpop.

Multiple distinct sections, all have a connected theme, flow into each other mostly smoothly (except maybe the drop into the first chorus but considering drops are parts of songs then I guess it counts), they gradually combine elements of each other with the final chorus basically having everything in the for a bombastic finish.

Was very mixed in the beginning, even crashing kpop forums lol, but over the months and years I think overall it's much more liked them hated.

• Not universally liked (it's a B-side btw, only the ones interested are gonna find it), but many people find this song interesting and whenever people talk about good experimental and eerie tracks, this one is mentioned. Always.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Multiple distinct sections, all have a connected theme, flow into each other mostly smoothly (except maybe the drop into the first chorus but considering drops are parts of songs then I guess it counts), they gradually combine elements of each other with the final chorus basically having everything in the for a bombastic finish.

Was very mixed in the beginning, even crashing kpop forums lol, but over the months and years I think overall it's much more liked them hated.

Oh yes,I definitely remember the massive hate boner for this song,pretty sure the average kpop fan of that time would call you crazy for saying the song ''flows smoothly'' lol

People did eventually warm up to it,although I wouldn't necessarily say it aged well tbh

Not universally liked (it's a B-side btw, only the ones interested are gonna find it), but many people find this song interesting and whenever people talk about good experimental and eerie tracks, this one is mentioned. Always.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I just listened to it,it does sound very interesting!

You mentioning SKZ also made me think of Side Effects.I guess not everyone likes it but it's one of their more interesting songs to me,really felt like an acid trip lol

Sherlock is the template

A whole banger :pepemusic:

• External Content www.youtube.com

I'd consider this both pretty experimental and pretty good!

• External Content www.youtube.com

I'd consider this both pretty experimental and pretty good!

This song is a masterpiece!

Very mixed? You're being too nice.

The amount of hate IGAB received when it came out, holy shit. This forum was hell that day. :pepe-life-support:

• Oh yes,I definitely remember the massive hate boner for this song,pretty sure the average kpop fan of that time would call you crazy for saying the song ''flows smoothly'' lol

People did eventually warm up to it,although I wouldn't necessarily say it aged well tbh

I know the massive blow back, I was one who really liked it and I was called insane lol. But like I said it didn't take long for people to soften up especially when SNSD performed it live, many would agree the dancing and singing was top tier.

I disagree about age, I think it aged pretty well. Very well imo. When IGAB came out it was the only song of it's kind in kpop. It was basically something never heard of so it was either way ahead of its time or such a bad idea it should've crashed and burned never to be replicated. Fast forward years and other songs have done the multiple songs in 1 tactic and people still refer to IGAB as a yardstick, when savage came out for example there were threads brining up IGAB. For a 8 year old song to not sound out of place in today's music scene is a pretty good sign.

• I'm not sure what qualifies as experimental but to fresh K-pop listener me back in 2019, this was probably the first song that wowed me even though I thought it was quite bizarre compared to your other K-pop releases during that time to the point where I looped it the entire day it came out. Early 2019 was also the time when I was shamelessly forwarding every single K-pop song I found to people I know and they happened to really like the song too even though it felt weird to them as well. If memory serves me well, there was also a decent number of people who regarded this song highly back then.

External Content www.youtube.com

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!