So can we now admit the "female empowerment" bit in kpop was just a tool to hate on cute girl groups?

• Now that people are finally fessing up that nobody should expect to find female empowerment in kpop.

Ironically it was these same kind of people who were using "female empowerment" as a bludgeon against groups like APink and Twice at the height of their careers.

In case you don't remember, APink was looked down for being too "cute" and Twice for trying to appeal too much to male fans. Girl crush/non-cute concepts were equated with "female empowerment" and hence they were pushed as automatically superior. While positioning APink and Twice as the opposite of empowerment and hence deserving of hate.

Are kpop fans finally maturing?

• Why is it always men chiming in about this?

• :cryingr:

Another stupid take.

You were probably too busy focusing on oppa to witness the massive amounts of hate APink, GFriend and Twice were receiving. It often involving painting them as subservient women, while praising their "empowered" biases

Fans of these groups had to always push back against this narrative the haters were constantly creating

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I can't even..

But this video needs to be seen here:

External Content youtu.be

Its JYP and Mamamoo on Mama

• I dunno about all this female empowerment stuff in Kpop. Kpop companies exist only to make money by releasing boy band music in Korean, not to push political narratives. At least in the beginning, maybe if they become super established and successful, they might have the leverage to start promoting political messages in their music.

I will say that i was opposed to cutesy stuff just on principle (i wasnt used to aegyo at all) when i first got into Kpop but Twice then later Izone won me over and now i like cutesy songs as much as GC. I still find aegyo cringy at times, usually when it feels like the idol is just forcing it.

My favorite Twice songs are cutesy, except for Cry For Me and Scientist (and B sides like Hello). My favorite Izone songs are B side cutesy songs like Up, Oh My, Colors and Sunflower, with the only exception being Sequence.

• I don't have any oppas.

And I'm not gonna read all that, it's about preference.

Tell me if my voice isn’t real
    If I shouldn’t have thrown myself away

sFWYLKc.gif

• There's a lot of people who were present during the 3rd gen who are pretending to forget history, because they are now weaving narratives that are opposite to the previous ones. Why? Because it's no longer convenient for their current biases

Cute concepts used to be enemy #1 to ifans once upon a time. That is what led to the popularity of "girl crush".

• Well it still happens so I don't disagree

but OP.. the problem is that 90% of your takes are stupid so even if you make a point, it's hard to take it seriously :melon_think:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!