GOT Step Back lyrics controversy sound bigger in Korea.

• So I have already commented how disappointed I was with the lyrics because if go against the image the group, but now it seems it is more than that for Korea anyway. I kinda understand why they feeling this way after reading this twitter thread. Shaking my head after reading this. What do you guys think? This whole project is a mess.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The lyrics are shit but that's a reach. They're celebrities not regular people and lines like these are common as hell in songs. Besides the song is talking about herself being popular, not "asking men to take pictures of girls but saying men take her pictures". Taking pictures doesn't equal taking unwanted/private pictures without consent. Seriously some people threw away the real meaning behind why it's wrong just to make a controversy.

lt64IYu.gif

• this lyrics is literally about a woman warning another woman to stay away from her lover "You're like a poison to the good boys .." "This isn't the place for you (Step back, step back) ... ". What exactly is the drama about?

• this text is literally about a woman warning another woman to stay away from her lover "You're like a poison to the good boys .." "This isn't the place for you (Step back, step back) ... ". What exactly is the drama about?

The lyrics are mostly translated from korean. Perhaps, the actually korean lyrics are more clear to korean. Even so, you are still seeing people in this main twitter post asking for revise lyrics. This is not merely a small problem or some twitter drama.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The lyrics are mostly translated from korean. Perhaps, the actually korean lyrics are more clear to korean. Even so, you are still seeing people in this main twitter post asking for revise lyrics. This is not merely a small problem or some twitter drama.

I saw the whole situation, people even blame one of the members for the lyrics because she said she liked the song. honestly, I don't know, the topic itself is delicate, but at the same time it could be just a bad interpretation.

• I saw the whole situation, people even blame one of the members for the lyrics because she said she liked the song. honestly, I don't know, the topic itself is delicate, but at the same time it could be just a bad interpretation.

The blaming part is dumb. Hm.. seem like sm artists and management don't see the lyrics as problematic. Interesting how ifans see this even it was translated.

• oh my god! the lyrics are bad but they're not problematic. Seriously nothing wrong if the line is bragging about oneself having their pictures taken harmlessly with consent because they're popular (a celeb!). Plus most of the comments in there are international fans so just know that they are the ones who blew it up first and more than the K-side. Just take a look at these accounts using big words like problematic and beautifying "stalking" over such common lyrics yet a few hours ago they were eager for Dispatch to out celebrities' private lives. Apparently, 2022 is a new low for Kpop fans. The hypocrisy in caring about real issues just to hate on others will always be the real toxic behavior.

lt64IYu.gif

• They’ll be fine and this’ll blow over after a couple days lol this ain’t nothing compared to some controversies that were way bigger and more legit but still amounted to nothing in the end so :wellr:

• This reminds of the Jennie nurse outfit "scandal". Everyone knows that's not what the lyrics are implying.

Just another exaggeration

Is it though? Look at the official Twitter post. This is ifans complained mostly. Read the korean Twitter translated thread I posted. It got more substance than what you are comparing to. I mean this is not just k-net complaining for the sake of complaining.

• I wonder if the original Korean lyrics is worse then what we see from it. Because translated to English that part sounds like she is flexing that she looks good and people take photo of her.

Literally she says "when I show up, they take my pictures". She says I, ME, MY, period. Speaking about herself not other girls, and she is not minding her pictures taken so it is not the same or close to what these people trying to make.

lt64IYu.gif

• oh my god! the lyrics are bad but they're not problematic. Seriously nothing wrong if the line is bragging about oneself having their pictures taken harmlessly with consent because they're popular (a celeb!). Plus most of the comments in there are international fans so just know that they are the ones who blew it up first and more than the K-side. Just take a look at these accounts using big words like problematic and beautifying "stalking" over such common lyrics yet a few hours ago they were eager for Dispatch to out celebrities' private lives. Apparently, 2022 is a new low for Kpop fans. The hypocrisy in caring about real issues just to hate on others will always be the real toxic behavior.

I mean I am not korean so I don't know how they feel about the lyrics. But after reading some translated thread regarding to this issue, it seems like they feel it is a legitimate issue for them.

• Is it though? Look at the official Twitter post. This is ifans complained mostly. Read the korean Twitter translated thread I posted. It got more substance than what you are comparing to. I mean this is not just k-net complaining for the sake of complaining.

So you are saying this is more ifans and not knetz. Either way, its still an exaggeration.

• it's trending multiple times on theqoo. Hopefully SM give feedback before it's get bigger and pls stop hiring ryan jhun as songwriter. He's good being producer but writer?? ehh :pepe-cut:

Ah, so it is not a small issue after all. After reading this guy problematic background, I knew this would not blow over.

• I wonder if the original Korean lyrics is worse then what we see from it. Because translated to English that part sounds like she is flexing that she looks good and people take photo of her.

flash.PNG

but doesn't it allude to paparazzi? maybe it's a way to show that she is popular? that she has dominance over her because people want to see her and she is successful?

• Molka is taking and collecting pictures of women who did not give consent:

In hotel rooms, bathrooms, while having sx with a bf, in uni (even a professor took photos of his colleagues - up their skirts <X ) and using it to earn money or just straight up sicko behavior like sharing in chatrooms.

• Ah, so it is not a small issue after all. After reading this guy problematic background, I knew this would not blow over.

in theqoo majority just clowning the lyrics it's not about molka issues.

for example:

Sm gathered all-rounder members (the combination are crazy). Everyone sang so well, the stage is good , but the song is bad and the lyrics are weird/stupid/shocking. It's deception for the public naming them Girls On Top but come out with lyrics like this. It's a pity and they should change the lyrics

something like that...

• in theqoo majority just clowning the lyrics it's not about molka issues.

for example:

Sm gathered all-rounder members (the combination are crazy). Everyone sang so well, the stage is good , but the song is bad and the lyrics are weird/stupid/shocking. It's deception for the public naming them Girls On Top but come out with lyrics like this. It's a pity and they should change the lyrics

something like that...

So basically they say the same as the international fans? Because that’s what I’m seeing everywhere. “A line up like this should have better lyrics then this. “

flash.PNG

but doesn't it allude to paparazzi? maybe it's a way to show that she is popular? that she has dominance over her because people want to see her and she is successful?

This is what I took from this part as well. But it has been translated from Korean maybe the original lyrics is more easy to misunderstand

:/

Personally what I find weird about the song that it sounds like the guy who wrote the lyrics things thinks all tough girls do is being a b**tch to every woman around their boyfriend. They gave off a heavy mean girl energy in the lyrics.

• So basically they say the same as the international fans? Because that’s what I’m seeing everywhere. “A line up like this should have better lyrics then this. “

This is what I took from this part as well. But it has been translated from Korean maybe the original lyrics is more easy to misunderstand

:/

afaik, more of the same.

Like a girl keeping her man from a girl who approached her man

which is a pity fighting over a man when they gathered all these powerful women :facepalm:

Personally what I find weird about the song that it sounds like the guy who wrote the lyrics things thinks all tough girls do is being a b**tch to every woman around their boyfriend. They gave off a heavy mean girl energy in the lyrics.

because the song description saying that this is direct expression of woman with high self-esteem with her lover. Maybe the writer interpreted high self esteem as heavy mean girl energy like you said :/

I think he's misinterpreted :facepalm:

• Not surprised SM put all these talented girls in one place and had no idea how to actually use them. Was BoA the producer on this project or is that just rumors? Because if so, I will be disappointed.

• afaik, more of the same.

Like a girl keeping her man from a girl who approached her man

which is a pity fighting over a man when they gathered all these powerful women :facepalm:

because the song description saying that this is direct expression of woman with high self-esteem with her lover. Maybe the writer interpreted high self esteem as heavy mean girl energy like you said :/

I think he's misinterpreted :facepalm:

These girls totally killed this song. It’s good apart from the poor lyrics. I don’t know what they were thinking asking this guy to write it.

:pepestare:

Over 2000 quote on the guy’s post hyping the song and all over them cursing him. Lol

:pepe-popcorn:

• These girls totally killed this song. It’s good apart from the poor lyrics. I don’t know what they were thinking asking this guy to write it.

:pepestare:

Over 2000 quote on the guy’s post hyping the song and all over them cursing him. Lol

:pepe-popcorn:

as THEY should :yesr:

that's why I was questioning in another thread that this is such an important project but why they outsourced the lyricist and choosing freaking ryan( mysoginistic scandal) jhun :pepe-life-support:

SM really digging their own hole in here

• I don't like the song, but that thread is a major reach. K-Pop idols have their pics taken all the time, by paps, by fansites, by fans, selfies. It's a major part of how they promote. It's not like there's molka on one side, nothing on the other.

• I don't like the lyrics and I think they could have come up with something better but if a male idols can get away with rape lyrics then a tame song about woman wanting another woman to step back isn't that of a controversy people made it out to be

For the record, SM never explicitly said this group is going to preach women empowerment. They already made it clear from the start, the group will just be more performance base and they all delivered.

• I don't like the lyrics and I think they could have come up with something better but if a male idols can get away with rape lyrics then a tame song about woman wanting another woman to step back isn't that of a controversy people made it out to be

For the record, SM never explicitly said this group is going to preach women empowerment. They already made it clear from the start, the group will just be more performance base.

who ?

• Now I know for a fact that I've heard male idols talk about how people take their pictures in their braggy songs, but I don't remember a single person call that out. :/

wbk there's a double standard. this isn't news.

• Anyway since when Kpoop fans cares about lyrics? Cause if y'all do. Y'all wouldn't be listening to your fave's music bc most of them are just gibberish none sense

• Is it though? Look at the official Twitter post. This is ifans complained mostly. Read the korean Twitter translated thread I posted. It got more substance than what you are comparing to. I mean this is not just k-net complaining for the sake of complaining.

you act like kfans, just like ifans don't offen complain for the sake of complaining

the lyrics are shit but don't sound problematic

• The lyrics are shit but that's a reach. They're celebrities not regular people and lines like these are common as hell in songs. Besides the song is talking about herself being popular, not "asking men to take pictures of girls but saying men take her pictures". Taking pictures doesn't equal taking unwanted/private pictures without consent. Seriously some people threw away the real meaning behind why it's wrong just to make a controversy.

Exactly. There's some things to complain about how the lyrics are cringe, but at no point is it saying "men should go into bathrooms and secretly take photos without your consent." What a reach.

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• They're overboard tbh. The lyrics aren't anywhere near that dangerous.

However it's more disappointing this is the lineup and the main theme of the song is about a random dude is on the next level and others should step back away from him. Really? It should've been about the girls stepping on us lol or something like that.

• This thread contains 2 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!