Namjoon speaks about Gender Equality

• I'm very confused about his post. When did Namjoon say that his audience needed to get educated ? He wanted to write better lyrics and be mindful about gender equality, how the frick do you manage to get this stupid take out of it ?

When ARMY say antis are as dumb as bricks, that's what they mean.

He is acknowledging the criticism he received from that time. He is not in position to decide whether his lyrics are sexist to women or not when there were women complaining about it at that time. He cannot silence or disregard them. What he did indeed regardless of whether it was right or wrong was to take that opportunity to study and reflect on his own mindset and actions. I hope you stop twisting his words that he never said. Your hatred and the thought to twist it to hate on him is disgusting and pathetic

Hi, I've been an ARMY since 2014. I was around to see all of this in real time, and I saw countless opinions from female ARMYs all along the way, some of whom were good friends of mine (and are the reason I got pissed off enough to comment in here in the first place).

At the time, those criticisms largely did not come from women in the fandom, they came from antis and critics who felt that they were intellectually and morally superior to the dumb fangirls who liked those songs.

But those girls aren't dumb and they do not deserve to be defaulted into the "uneducated" category by people praising RM for "educating" himself when all he did was buckle under the pressure and decide to listen to the critics instead of the fans. BTS always knew that the majority of their fans liked those songs. That's why they kept making them.

I believe RM had good intentions, but I also believe he was and is in the wrong on this. If you think it makes me stupid, an anti, or a "low life" then the block button is over there because I'm simply not interested.

• You think RM saying he educated himself from his misogyny allegations is somehow calling the women uneducated? Lol. No one is calling the fans uneducated, you seem to be projecting it.

How in the world is someone gonna say he is wrong for consulting professional professor to make conscious efforts to be gender Equal. Wow I am amazed

• you're absolutely bonkers to twist this in such a way. yeah, we all know it was antis of bts who were forefronting the woh "backlash". many people did everything they could to start shit about bts back then and those people were very much female fans of other groups. and many armys throughout those years and even now were manipulated by the tactics of those antis and also joined in on the criticism during such "scandals". it has happened more than once. so yeah, some of it DDID come from women in the fandom, especially on the korean side which is what they saw. when bts gets backlash, they take it seriously. even if we can clearly see certain things come from antis, to them its just people raising concerns bc they cannot tell any comment simply saying "this thing you did is misogynistic" is from someone who hates their guts. and again, sometimes fans also join in or people posing as fans saying things like "i was a fan until you did xyz" and there is no way for them to decipher that.

the fact is namjoon has done everything in his power to be a more thoughtful person and to understand how his own actions can contribute to racism, sexism ect. everyone should do that whether they get criticism for a specific action or not. its not even about him "educating" himself but about being mindful of the things you do and how others could potentially perceive those things. how can you even say him having a better understanding of things HE was criticised for is automatically saying anyone who defended him is stupid? like can we at least use common sense?

7c707ea8e5b6882524bdf1a72eae72e9afa10b71.gif

i can't stand that i'm the last thing on your mind

• At the time, those criticisms largely did not come from women in the fandom, they came from antis and critics who felt that they were intellectually and morally superior to the dumb fangirls who liked those songs.

This is true though. And I also heard that the outrage came from the international side, than in Korea.

Tbh, it could've just been bad translation but nobody bothered checking into it, and dragged Namjoon severely. Regardless, I think it's a good thing that he double checks his lyrics every time now. It's always nice to be sensitive towards other's beliefs and opinions as well.

♡ 𝐿𝑜𝓋𝑒 𝒟𝒾𝓋𝑒 ♡

9bc9b9630afb5ca6b0b078b274e418faaa0c115f.gifv

• All I have to say is, I would not want to be judged by the things I did and said when I was a teen. We all grow, and learn as we do. It's okay, mistakes can be made, as long as you learn from them, you're forgiven, IMO.

• You think RM saying he educated himself from his misogyny allegations is somehow calling the women uneducated? Lol. No one is calling the fans uneducated, you seem to be projecting it.

If he is educated for validating the accusations, then by default those who do not validate them are uneducated. If the things he said were a mistake, then by default those who believe they were fine are mistaken. If the things he said were insensitive, then by default those who believe they were not are themselves insensitive.

Regardless of intent, these are the implications that have been created. Once an implication has been created, it eventually becomes a conscious belief. Just don't be surprised when you see it happening. Or do I guess, it's your life.

• If he is educated for validating the accusations, then by default those who do not validate them are uneducated. If the things he said were a mistake, then by default those who believe they were fine are mistaken. If the things he said were insensitive, then by default those who believe they were not are themselves insensitive.

Regardless of intent, these are the implications that have been created. Once an implication has been created, it eventually becomes a conscious belief. Just don't be surprised when you see it happening. Or do I guess, it's your life.

So you are making others problem his? Okay got it. It’s obv how many here alr said they don’t find issues with WOH but they recognise that there might be some who do. It’s common sense and basic understanding. But twist this shit as much as you want.

• If he is educated for validating the accusations, then by default those who do not validate them are uneducated. If the things he said were a mistake, then by default those who believe they were fine are mistaken. If the things he said were insensitive, then by default those who believe they were not are themselves insensitive.

This is a very black and white, all or nothing way thinking. Your logic is painful.

• At the time, those criticisms largely did not come from women in the fandom, they came from antis and critics who felt that they were intellectually and morally superior to the dumb fangirls who liked those songs.

Idols don’t have any other option than to apologize when they are getting criticism. Anti’s won’t give up if the Idol doesn’t show enough “reflection” it doesn’t matter if they are in the wrong or right. They hold the court of public opinion, so Idols and companies bow down to them, even if they don’t have too.

These mops can influence the publics opinion and something that wasn’t that much of deal will become one … if enough people complain they must be in the right, right ?

It’s better that he emphasizes on the fact that he educated himself on it, so that those who still want to hold it against them don’t have a chance, especially not now that they are more known in the west… and we all know the woke culture in the west and how fast they want to cancel people . The last thing they need are accusations of being sexist in the past… cause once it spreads many won’t care what really happened or do any researches, they just want to witch-hunt.

• Idols don’t have any other option than to apologize when they are getting criticism. Anti’s won’t give up if the Idol doesn’t show enough “reflection” it doesn’t matter if they are in the wrong or right. They hold the court of public opinion, so Idols and companies bow down to them, even if they don’t have too.

These mops can influence the publics opinion and something that wasn’t that much of deal will become one … if enough people complain they must be in the right, right ?

It’s better that he emphasizes on the fact that he educated himself on it, so that those who still want to hold it against them don’t have a chance, especially not now that they are more known in the west… and we all know the woke culture in the west and how fast they want to cancel people . The last thing they need are accusations of being sexist in the past… cause once it spreads many won’t care what really happened or do any researches, they just want to witch-hunt.

He ain’t saying it for the sake of it. He alr talked about this in 2016. He is saying again when asked about gender equality. He isn’t doing this to evade off criticisms but to actually show how he had these accusations and how he took the opportunity to learn more and grow from it.

• Idols don’t have any other option than to apologize when they are getting criticism. Anti’s won’t give up if the Idol doesn’t show enough “reflection” it doesn’t matter if they are in the wrong or right. They hold the court of public opinion, so Idols and companies bow down to them, even if they don’t have too.

I don't think you're getting it. I think Namjoon was trying to say that he was educating himself on "how things can be interpreted differently by others". Maybe the lyrics seemed fine to himself and sounded completely okay in Korean, but that doesn't it would be okay for people speaking a different language and coming from a different cultural background.

Maybe he was being sincere with his apology and thought that he needed to consider other's opinions as well. I don't like how you came to a conclusion that Namjoon was apologizing just for the sake of it. We may never know what his actual intention was when gave that apology.

♡ 𝐿𝑜𝓋𝑒 𝒟𝒾𝓋𝑒 ♡

9bc9b9630afb5ca6b0b078b274e418faaa0c115f.gifv

• If he is educated for validating the accusations, then by default those who do not validate them are uneducated.

Him being educated and reaching a conclusion post education does not equal any other individual reaching an opposing/different conclusion being uneducated. There are entire schools of academia founded on the principles of educated people engaging in debate (for example - Philosophy), that is to say educated people can and quite frequently do have opposing thoughts on a matter and even engage with individuals with those opposing thoughts without any party suddenly being rendered uneducated.

If the things he said were a mistake, then by default those who believe they were fine are mistaken.

You do not know what would be the source of the mistake as that is entirely subjective to Namjoon so again your conclusion is erroneous. If he stated that saying those things would be a mistake for anyone to say or believe then you conclusion is sound however he didn't, as such his statement is entirely subjective.

If the things he said were insensitive, then by default those who believe they were not are themselves insensitive.

Again insensitive is subjective, the degree to which anything can be deemed insensitive is entirely subjective until you make an all-encompassing statement as I stated above.

• Everyone have their own standards and opinion. I am an ARMY since 2013 but I felt uncomfortable when WOH was released because of its lyrics. I don't care now because he owned up to his mistake but don't pretend to speak in the name of all ARMY.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!