Do you consider Aespa to be a side group or main group?

• I consider Aespa as a 34

1. side group (7) 21%
    2. main group (27) 79%

People expected SMNGG to be more similar to SNSD, of the traditional main group format. With many members and more public friendly and less experimental concepts. Aespa turned out much different, probably because SM was seeking global (western) popularity where smaller (3 - 5 member) groups were more popular than bigger groups, which Japan prefers. Aespa's digital success makes them seem like they might be considered a main group yet it's also possible they just lucked out with Next Level. Since SM is more likely to give their main groups original songs rather than stitched remakes. And the big main group is still in the planning stages once the SMCU is fully worked out

• You think SM spent all this time and money on their concept for them to be a “side group”

Seems like SM is really taking the time to make their newer groups innovative (but maybe they always did that)

Aespa is definitely there main priority and will be for awhile.

• You think SM spent all this time and money on their concept for them to be a “side group”

Seems like SM is really taking the time to make their newer groups innovative (but maybe they always did that)

Aespa is definitely there main priority and will be for awhile.

Technically fx and Red Velvet were also considered side groups. Yet they have done great for SM sale's wise. Itzy too can be called one. I'm bringing it up because there's potential for SM to be planning a female NCT-esque group and that would be the main one

• Technically fx and Red Velvet were also considered side groups. Yet they have done great for SM sale's wise. Itzy too can be called one. I'm bringing it up because there's potential for SM to be planning a female NCT-esque group and that would be the main one

i doubt it. in that situation, the female NCT group would be the “side group” since they wouldn’t have any special concept because NCT would be there concept (which is already establish).

Also this idea just made me giddy for later NCT project/albums that are co-ed

I think ppl just thought f(x) and RV were side groups due to there size and timing of their debut, but i think SM made the decision long ago that they prefer smaller GGs, and that’s why they’ve done 3 in a row.

• i doubt it. in that situation, the female NCT group would be the “side group” since they wouldn’t have any special concept because NCT would be there concept (which is already establish).

Also this idea just made me giddy for later NCT project/albums that are co-ed

I think ppl just thought f(x) and RV were side groups due to there size and timing of their debut, but i think SM made the decision long ago that they prefer smaller GGs, and that’s why they’ve done 3 in a row.

A NCT-like group would be too big of an investment for it to be a side one. If SM does a GG version of NCT they definitely are making it their main

main

their concept is too developped to be just a sub group

The fact you say this shows you were never a Red Velvet fan

• A NCT-like group would be too big of an investment for it to be a side one. If SM does a GG version of NCT they definitely are making it their main

Ohh, you meant an actual standalone NCT group, not just 1 female subunit of the current NCT system.

Yeah i doubt they would do that. It works for BGs because large groups builds fandoms and that’s what BGs thrive on.

GGs need GP support (atleast that’s what companies aim for) and that works better with fewer members for the GP to remember. Plus their more likely to model/do CFs, which again work better with less ppl.

Imagine SM trying to get solo Cfs for all NCT members, like their doing with RV. It just doesn’t work.

It’d probably workout, since NCT can go on forever and eventually they would pick up enough of a fandom to sustain them regardless of GP, but i think they rather keep NCT a BG thing. Who knows tho.

• People expected SMNGG to be more similar to SNSD, of the traditional main group format. With many members and more public friendly and less experimental concepts. Aespa turned out much different, probably because SM was seeking global (western) popularity where smaller (3 - 5 member) groups were more popular than bigger groups, which Japan prefers. Aespa's digital success makes them seem like they might be considered a main group yet it's also possible they just lucked out with Next Level. Since SM is more likely to give their main groups original songs rather than stitched remakes. And the big main group is still in the planning stages once the SMCU is fully worked out

Oh nah

They did not like so many members for SNSD, but the lineup was so fierce they decided on 9. Also with all the rumors with big groups and the bigger chance for controversy, SM will not have a big female group for a while

SES - 3

MILK - 4

Sugar - 5

(Also FYI if you're considering Japanese born ethnic koreans, then Ayumi from Sugar is the best Japanese vocalist in kpop)

CSJH - 4

SNSD - 9

f(x) - 5

Red Velvet - 5

Aespa - 4

There's one outlier there

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!