Is revenge ok?

• Overall, what are your thoughts on revenge and those who want revenge against other people? Do you think it's ok or a bad thing?

I'll give three examples, just in case, for three levels of severity, since there are people asking for a context to reflect on.

1. A and B are friends, but A has treated B badly; in other words, A is a toxic friend. B decides to record one of A's wrongdoings to expose A on social media.

2. C physically bullies D often, and D injures C to take revenge.

3. E murdered one of F's loved ones, so F kills E in revenge.

The first two I see often in real life. The third one is more of a hypothetical situation.

out of service

Edited 2 times, last by bo-thebear ().

• revenge is okay, within its line. though i can't guarantee that it'll be worth it.

• Really depends on the scale you're talking about. For example, in a situation of "He took and drank my soda, so in revenge I ate his cookie" is fine.

But if you're talking about revenge that could cause physical or emotional harm, it's probably not okay.

I prefer justice to revenge. The only time I would consider revenge acceptable is if the justice system has disastrously failed somehow.

I left my heart in LA again. Please continue taking good care of it.

• sometimes people mess with you and they wont understand proper human language to stop.

In those cases, I take the nuclear option. Its the sure way to guarantee they wont cross your path again.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Really depends on the scale you're talking about. For example, in a situation of "He took and drank my soda, so in revenge I ate his cookie" is fine.

But if you're talking about revenge that could cause physical or emotional harm, it's probably not okay.

I prefer justice to revenge. The only time I would consider revenge acceptable is if the justice system has disastrously failed somehow.

i don't know why i laughed at this lol

out of service

this ^

ღ Happy Birthday / 10.18.2005 ღ

6f2600f9ca710c96c5228757df28dbe5d21c9ff1.gifv giphy.gif 84e36da9f196e239f5a3bc0d2103c8cce10f4953.gifv

• that depends on the level of the said revenge and the context

Really depends on the scale you're talking about. For example, in a situation of "He took and drank my soda, so in revenge I ate his cookie" is fine.

I added some examples in the original post just in case.

out of service

• I added some examples in the original post just in case.

With those examples I'll go into more depth.

In all three examples I don't think that type of revenge is okay.

In example 1, person B needs to be the adult and break off the "friendship" with A and just part ways. It's not a healthy "friendship" but going for this type of revenge is also not healthy and doesn't help anyone. Sure person B is hurt, but causing more hurt doesn't make it right.

In examples 2 and 3, this is what I was talking about the justice system. In both situations the justice system or the system of authority should be able to step in and fix the issue. It's only if the system has disastrously failed, that revenge would even be needed, and it's still not going to be okay in that instance. It might happen, and maybe even be necessary, but that doesn't make it okay.

Also, I still like my example of cookie based revenge best!

:ak_JihyoNode:

I left my heart in LA again. Please continue taking good care of it.

• 1. just make new friends, remember revenge is double edged, one of these days someone else will call B out on social media as well for revenge of their own.

2. has D told anyone else or the police about it in the past? Revenge doesn't have to be in the form of more physical violence from D.

3. if F wants revenge by becoming the same murderous criminal as E and wants to deal with the consequences then go ahead, but don't cry for justice and don't be surprised if someone else comes and kills F for revenge.

• No it isn't a good thing imo. It can be very destructive and often leads to people getting hurt physically and emotionally. I've never been a revengeful person, if somebody does me wrong I won't forget or forgive, but I won't take revenge. It's childish. Best to move forward.

• 1) I don't think someone should do that for revenge, but to alert others. However, depending on what it is, the revenge seeker may look petty as well.

2) Again, a planned revenge doesn't seem great here and may be criminal. Of course, if the bully attacks someone and that someone reacts immediately, I don't see much problem because it is understandable and it was just a reaction and people should be allowed to defend themselves reasonably. However, if the revenge seeker plans something in retaliation later, issues with the law may happen. Sorta like in baseball, if some player did something shitty and unjust and wasn't properly punished in the eyes of players, the other player with beef should take their vengeful act ASAP and the offender should take it in the chin as well. However, after a while, if they act in revenge much later, they will face consequences with rules.

3) I think the rule of law should be used. Societies where blood revenge is rampant aren't great places. Usually places with lot of conflicts like post-Saddam triggered lot of non-judicial actions become very chaotic. I do understand some people seeking blood revenge specially in cases where the law fails to bring justice, but a society should seek to reform their institutions to not allow these type of injustices to occur in the first place.

I guess in the end is how much you can do in a revenge without breaking the law (or be able to get away with in case you have power/money).

• I also think there's a difference between revenge, and the causer of a certain action/crime recieving appropriate punishment.

On a loosely related not, I do not agree with the death penalty. All criminals should recieve both proper punishment and proper rehabilitation. Both are an issue in various legal systems.

The corrupt people we know are made due to lack of guidance. A child who behaves badly, when constantly recieved with no compassion or love, will most likely evolve into a bad person as a teen and an adult. Children are easy to teach and influence, and they can quickly learn when something is incorrect. The further a person matures with age, the more difficult it becomes to free them of their resentment, their disdain, and their hatred. Lack of correct guidance and support is what leads to criminals, murderers, and, while being a very drastic example, people who think like Hitler. Eventually, his hatred and resentment started to corrupt him and he growed into what he's known for. Unreedemable, really. Looking at his youth, you can tell why it happened.

At one point, it's just too late to change what someone has become, but I think it's very much possible to avoid that.

This is why revenge is never the best answer in my opinion. It can be an answer, or an inmediate reaction. But, chances are that most of the bad people that you've met in your life had and are having a lack of emotional guidance in their lives.

Additionally, I don't think that understanding the cause of someone's state of mind means that you are excusing their state of mind or their actions.

out of service

Edited once, last by bo-thebear ().

• about serious stuff like that harm people be emotional or not I just find empty and sad and I am really meaning it, revenge is just emptiness and almost like poison for the soul

some people get angry over stuff happening w them or the world and I understand because I also am human and have all bad feelings too but acting up on revenge is just being part of the problem or even making it bigger, justice and peace will always be superior and actually fulfilling for your life

sometimes we have to understand that things are not up to us to judge

the world is full of nuance and we should try our best to not get lost in hatred, i fight against bad feelings and not that i am nice but i try when something bad upsets me i try not to get this swallow the little positive things about me?

idk i dont think revenge is a good thing irl

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!