What music do you listen to outside of kpop?

• Do you follow it as often or are you a casual listener?

Do you find anything similar in kpop and the other music industry/ industries?

Post songs you think are some of the finest either genre has to offer.

How long does a singer/band last in the music industry you like?

It's a discussion thread so off topic stuff is ok too!

Desbundar

• I usually listen to music deriving from the psychedelia/neopsychedelia scene, britpop, trip-hop, shoegaze/dream pop, ambient and drone music. I like that since a young age.

It's nothing similar to Kpop music and artists have some very long careers in some cases.

Aside from that, I like pop music from the 70s-80s. Michael Jackson is one of my favorite artists ever (along with Björk).

I'd recommend my some albums that are pretty known on these scene (some are my fave albums ever):

i could recommend vespertine, but post goes this time.

External Content open.spotify.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• loveless slaps hard.

• A lot of stuff in general.

But my favourite genres are

Slowcore/math/post-rock:

External Content www.youtube.com

Early-to-mid nineties NY rap:

Glitch/Raster-Noton-style electronic music:

• if im not listening to kpop i listen to pop. But the dark and mature type of it

Ruelle, raign and fluerie stuff are a great exmaple of what I like listening to outside kpop

Here my fav songs for now

I also get hooked on basic pop songs from time to time like Olivia's sour album is on repeat for me.

External Content youtu.be

• Wah that sounds interesting..it's the first time I'm hearing of some of these genres so I'm eager to check it out. Thank you soo much! <3

Desbundar

• Loveless fans should give the Lilys album In the Presence of Nothing a shot. It was derided at the time for being a copy but it's actually really interesting "what if". Specifically, "what if Loveless had more traditional songwriting?"

Compared to the likes of Nowhere, Souvlaki, Ferment, whatever else... It's way better than all of those. Really resonant emotionally imo and not just a bunch of pretty noises.

Not my favourite shoegazey album (that's jesu's S/T), but the second best pure one.

• I also listen to electronic and alternative music, which I follow as much as kpop but with less intesity becasue they don't drop as much content as kpop.

It's a very different industry where things are more slow paced and there's not that much money to do big marketings and promos. Usually they take all the time they need, I have faves that have dropped music after 5/6 years, and usually a lot of them are silence on their social media, so a lot of people don't know if they will even continue doing music, but not every artist like that.

They last all they want, producers can last for more than 20/30 years, and alternative groups also can last a lot.

The finnest that the genre has to offer depends to everyone, and more to electornic and alternative music where there are a lot of subgenres, but here are two of my faves songs that represents alternative-pop (also called witch-pop) and electronic music.

• I like Arctic Monkeys, Billie Eilish and Melanie Martinez. Honestly I just listen to their music and don't follow them as people but here are my favourite songs :borahae:

Oh and my dad recommended me this song when I started using the word 'stan' around him... it changed my life, no joke. I think you should drop everything and listen to it.

Listen to the lyrics and pay attention to the story too. Also it's pretty sad. Just a warning lol.

• Mostly RnB of all kinds

Also some rap/hip hop, pop ect. It translates pretty well over into my Korean music taste, as far as K-rnb, and to a lesser extent Kpop.

• Jon Hopkins :omgr:

out of service

• I like Sewerslvt and City Girl

• Mostly old shit nobody here probably cares about like Springsteen, Meatloaf, Bon Jovi and a ton of other 80s stuff lol.

But i must take this moment to spam Morissette Amon for the 1000th time. Stream and follow her on YT, she deserves just as much fame and success as BTS, BP and the best of Kpop.

And here are some live renditions of songs from her new EP.

• I don’t FOLLOW follow a huge amount of modern pop music in the same way as I keep an eye out on KPop but I keep up with things. It’s just that I haven’t found a huge number of acts that I have loved in the last couple of years.

As a mini lol/groan, that person who mentioned about their dad suggesting they listen to Stan by Eminem has made me feel a thousand years old! ^^

Classic sixties and seventies rock and pop music were my first loves outside of classical music, when I was a kid. I still listen to an enormous amount of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, CCR, Cream, Queen, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, The Kinks, Beach Boys, The Doors etc so many more… Hubs loves 80s and early 90s rock so I built a lot more of that in.

Then I can get nostalgic for masses of music from the mid 90s to mid noughties because it has value for me from remembering being a teen or in my early 20s. I was most into Britpop and Indie music - Blur, Oasis, Pulp, The Divine Comedy, Foo Fighters, Björk, Coldplay, We are Scientists off the top of my head.

And I’ve always loved jazz and soul and Motown.

My music tastes have diversified as I’ve got older. I’ll pretty much give anything a go nowadays and genre is pretty irrelevant tbh. The latest band I’ve gone hard for is Japanese Breakfast, which is since reading Crying in H Mart. Cannot recommend that book or that band enough!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!