Who cares about korean charts when you have global impact?

• If I’m not mistaken, the companies actually get a large degree of money from touring in Korea.

It’s actually CFs in Korea > Touring > Digitals, so touring isn’t necessarily the most important. It’s a stream of revenue (definitely important to show fandom buying power) but just because you tour in Korea doesn’t mean you’re more profitable. Digital reflect public opinion thus people are able to get their bread and butter from advertisements and CFs.

NCT and Seventeen possibly make more money on tour than BP/Twice but it’s unlikely they make more money than the individual members or the groups because the latter have several more avenues of revenue for themselves and their companies besides touring & physicals.

• I’ll rephrase if the choice was between having a large crowd who will attend your concert Vs digitals the concert is more important. I meant useless in that context.

If the choice is between being nugu and digitals. Ofc digitals will be important there.

I kinda agree but I feel like it's a matter of perspective. Yeah in the short run, concerts are better as you can make alot of money off of them and they would definitely be better than digitals right then, but in the long run I think it's more important to have digitals because that allows the members of the group to have more exposure and build their solo brand because at the end of the day, all idols have a shelf life. No group can do concerts forever and benefit off of them forever. That's why idols always start to do more solo activities as their group ages. So I think having digitals is better for sustainability as it'll allow the members of the group to more easily build their own career and venture outside group activities to do what they want once their group starts to slow down.

• If I’m not mistaken, the companies actually get a large degree of money from touring in Korea.

It’s actually CFs in Korea > Touring > Digitals, so touring isn’t necessarily the most important. It’s a stream of revenue (definitely important to show fandom buying power) but just because you tour in Korea doesn’t mean you’re more profitable. Digital reflect public opinion thus people are able to get their bread and butter from advertisements and CFs.

NCT and Seventeen possibly make more money on tour than BP/Twice but it’s unlikely they make more money than the individual members or the groups because the latter have several more avenues of revenue for themselves and their companies besides touring & physicals.

No I don’t believe anything makes more money than touring.

Yes CFs are good. And almost all big3 groups have CFs. For example take EXO. I’m unsure of NCT and 17 in particular Cuz I don’t keep track of them. But I believe all BIG3 groups have a lot of CFs. And brand deals.

• I kinda agree but I feel like it's a matter of perspective. Yeah in the short run, concerts are better as you can make alot of money off of them and they would definitely be better than digitals right then, but in the long run I think it's more important to have digitals because that allows the members of the group to have more exposure and build their solo brand because at the end of the day, all idols have a shelf life. No group can do concerts forever and benefit off of them forever. That's why idols always start to do more solo activities as their group ages. So I think having digitals is better for sustainability as it'll allow the members of the group to more easily build their own career and venture outside group activities to do what they want once their group starts to slow down.

No kpop idols fade regardless of public appeal. Where are most of the 2ne1 members or SNSD members? GP does not care about you as you age. Except for one or maybe two of the top stars. Branching out into acting or variety maybe a better avenue. But this is not for everyone.

Having a fandom who will visit your concert even when you age like for example BGs is far more relevant.

• i agree that idols can get rich and succesfull outside of korea but money is only one aspect. well being is also important. how popular they are locally, greatly effects how they will be treated by the people around them. not only fans but also staff of the own company, the music shows, or the people on the streets. Thats a massive impact that hurt or boost the self esteem of idols.

Look at T-ara. After this stupid skandal they were still successful in china or vietnam and became rich. but being quasi exiled in their homecountry made them deadly unhappy.

Brave Girls also said that the biggest difference after rollin was how they get treated buy the people around them and how that change their confidence.

• i agree that idols can get rich and succesfull outside of korea but money is only one aspect. well being is also important. how popular they are locally, greatly effects how they will be treated by the people around them. not only fans but also staff of the own company, the music shows, or the people on the streets. Thats a massive impact that hurt or boost the self esteem of idols.

Look at T-ara. After this stupid skandal they were still successful in china or vietnam and became rich. but being quasi exiled in their homecountry made them deadly unhappy.

Brave Girls also said that the biggest difference after rollin was how they get treated buy the people around them and how that change their confidence.

That’s why I said both fans and idols need to realize there is worth outside of Korea.

• That’s why I said both fans and idols need to realize there is worth outside of Korea.

Thats true, but the idols will allways live in korea. i mean reading encouraging posts from overseas fans is surely nice but seeing the excitment or indifference in the peoples faces around you is a complete other story that can hardly be equaled.

If T-aras Jiyeon got anxiety disorder because there was no love around her. the biggest bankaccount or greatest fandom in china dont help much since she staid in korea most of the time.

Edit:

Idols can do well just globally without being successful in korea. but getting recocnition in their homecountry is the best for their mental well being.

• Thats true, but the idols will allways live in korea. i mean reading encouraging posts from overseas fans is surely nice but seeing the excitment or indifference in the peoples faces around you is a complete other story that can hardly be equaled.

If T-aras Jiyeon got anxiety disorder because there was no love around her. the biggest bankaccount or greatest fandom in china dont help much since she staid in korea most of the time.

T-ara's situation is completely different than most idols though so I don't really see how that's relevant.

• My point stands.

Are you saying this because you don’t consider China a real country :pepewash:

Also you can’t say twice is big internationally and leave out EXO lol. Twice’s popularity in Japan allows for that to be reflected on international charts while exo’s China popularity isn’t reflected on the international charts.

But I will not say otherwise there is a huge difference in their international popularity.

BP and BTS are different.

• Thats true, but the idols will allways live in korea. i mean reading encouraging posts from overseas fans is surely nice but seeing the excitment or indifference in the peoples faces around you is a complete other story that can hardly be equaled.

Edit:

Idols can do well just globally without being successful in korea. but getting recocnition in their homecountry is the best for their mental well being.

T-ARA members' feelings are totally valid and I respect them, but you can't just put everyone in a box and sum up their ambitions, because of a few people's experiences. I doubt every single idol who isn't popular and loved in Korea is being unhappy with their job and developing mental disorders because they want to boost their self eestem through domestic recognition. People are allowed to have different perceptions of life, you know?

Of course, Idols want to be recognized on their home country, but It doesn't mean all of them are losing their sleep over it.

Edit:

This feels anecdotal

• No kpop idols fade regardless of public appeal. Where are most of the 2ne1 members or SNSD members? GP does not care about you as you age. Except for one or maybe two of the top stars. Branching out into acting or variety maybe a better avenue. But this is not for everyone.

Having a fandom who will visit your concert even when you age like for example BGs is far more relevant.

You think it's possible to continue reliably holding concerts as an idol group in your late 30s and onward? I mean I feel like that'd be pretty rare and like you said it would happen more with boy groups and not likely to happen with girl groups. For the most part, I don't think any idol would want to be that old and still be singing and dancing to idol songs in a group anyway. Maybe for a special reunion/get-together type of thing for fans but not for their later career.

• I'll concede that but not iKon.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• You think it's possible to continue reliably holding concerts as an idol group in your late 30s and onward? I mean I feel like that'd be pretty rare and like you said it would happen more with boy groups and not likely to happen with girl groups. For the most part, I don't think any idol would want to be that old and still be singing and dancing to idol songs in a group anyway. Maybe for a special reunion/get-together type of thing for fans but not for their later career.

Yes actually super Junior had even come tours post military. their life span is at the very least longer than their GG counter part.

Also I don’t see anything wrong with singing and dancing later on in your career.

Anyway I forgot the original point.

Concert revenue > digitals

• T-ara's situation is completely different than most idols though so I don't really see how that's relevant.

kpop industry is highly competitive and the society can also be very strict. You can see it every day how idols get fire for the stupiest reasons. t-ara may be one of the more extreme cases but it doesnt need to be that bad to have an deadly impact on those idols who also often happend to be minors. i just choose t-ara because they are known to everyone. of course its normally more unknown idols who get the bad treatment but it would make no sence to choose an example that nobody knows.

• I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it in particular, I just feel like most idols become idols thinking that they'll eventually branch out and do different things apart from their group and be more solo-oriented as their career progresses. Anyways, I guess concert revenue > digitals in some aspects, but I just disagree with you saying that digitals/charting is completely useless.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!