Who cares about korean charts when you have global impact?

• “Who cares about korean charts when you have global impact?“

So that is what 4th generation group stans tell to themselves to feel better?

if your faves can’t chart well or at all in SK then is fine it’s not the end of the world groups have survived without doing it but don’t lie to yourself, you stan a korean group therefore korean charting is important and relevant and your faves DO care.

I’m going to say something that might be controversial and sound harsh but about what global impact some stans are talking about? Out of the kpop bubble kpop itself is not mainstream in the music scene at all, it’s not me dismissing what kpop groups have done for Hallyu but let’s be realistic.

• If kpop itself is not mainstream, why would you measure a group's impact beyond the kpop bubble it belongs to? Groups can have an impact within the boundaries of the kpop genre they belong to.

It works the same for every music, movie , video game, or book genre.

K-charts are indeed very important for a group's sustainability but more often than not, fans tunnel vision too much on k-charts and overestimate some groups' overall relevance because of it. It doesn't make sense to celebrate the global age of k-pop we're in and in the same time to keep favoring local metrics of success under all circumstances.

• It’s a fair question. Tbh.

Korea is a tiny country.

New gen groups are getting 4 or 5 million ULs in Spotify monthly while the biggest songs only have 5mil LIFE TIME ULS on melon.

The scale difference is so much it’s laughable to still cling to Korean metrics as being such a important metric.

Yes Ofc groups prolly want to be successful in their home country. But it’s honestly not as paramount as ppl make it out to be. Both idols and fans need to realize that.

• Not mainstream in the US or Europe but overall, globally, Kpop is 7th in the world which isnt bad and ahead of pretty popular genres like metal, RnB and classical.

K-Pop Ranked as One of the Most Popular Genres in the World, According to IFPI 2019 Music Listening Report
    K-pop is one of the most popular music genres in the world, according to the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry's Music Listening 2019…
    assets.billboard.com

Otherwise i generally agree, these idols are Korean, they want to succeed in their home country most of all. I mean, imagine if Taylor or Ariana were huge in some rando European or Asian or Latin American countries but were flops at home...i think if they had a choice, they would much rather be superstars here in the US.

• If we're being real, kpop groups aren't really that popular outside of parts of Asia with the exception for like 2-3 groups. Streaming numbers are heavily inflated and not an actual reflection of how popular they are :wellr: For the majority of groups, losing their Korean support would heavily impact their careers, maybe even to the point of disbandment. We've seen groups do great on almost all Korean support and no other but never the reverse to my knowledge.

• If we're being real, kpop groups aren't really that popular outside of parts of Asia with the exception for like 2-3 groups. Streaming numbers are heavily inflated and not an actual reflection of how popular they are :wellr: For the majority of groups, losing their Korean support would heavily impact their careers, maybe even to the point of disbandment. We've seen groups do great on almost all Korean support and no other but never the reverse to my knowledge.

I think a lot of groups can prosper with just China, all those NCT units are selling like hotcakes. BP probably got about 500k from China for their album. BTS obviously can do just fine with only sales from China, same with Seventeen. I've heard the vast bulk of Idle's physicals came from China as well.

And then Japan, Twice could probably do just fine with Japanese sales of Japanese albums and Korean albums. Same with BTS and Seventeen.

SKZ is the most interesting group to me, i recently found out that they trend top 3 all over Latin America with every comeback. And Latin America is actually the fastest growing music market in the world.

• Another thing I want to say is the ability to tour in Korea >>>>>> digitals in Korea

Twice and BP are ofc much more popular than NCT or seventeen in Korea but this was never reflected in tour numbers and they toured about the same.

At least the way I’ve observed the international streams and ULs are all ‘stans’ because kpop is still niche and these are the ppl buying albums and gong to concerts.

Where as the Korean ULs consisted of a lot of casual fans who put no money into the group.

There is absolutely nothing more useless than korean charting.

The most important kpop metric is the ability to tour in Korea. If your digitals don’t give you that your digitals are useless.

So yes Korea is important. For their large tours. Not for their digitals.

• This is just looking for reasons to be offended by people enjoying something.

• I definitely wouldn't say korean charting is useless. It gives idols more exposure and more opportunities to do things like variety shows, cfs, acting, etc if they have really popular songs. I mean look at Brave Girls.. Although their albums sales were actually not that bad, if they had really bad album sales (meaning a small fanbase and less touring capabilities) it wouldn't matter because they still have gotten so many other opportunities from Rollin'

• aren't 4th gen girlg's doing well? or is this for bgs?

• I definitely wouldn't say korean charting is useless. It gives idols more exposure and more opportunities to do things like variety shows, cfs, acting, etc if they have really popular songs. I mean look at Brave Girls.. Although their albums sales were actually not that bad, if they had really bad album sales (meaning a small fanbase and less touring capabilities) it wouldn't matter because they still have gotten so many other opportunities from Rollin'

I’ll rephrase if the choice was between having a large crowd who will attend your concert Vs digitals the concert is more important. I meant useless in that context.

If the choice is between being nugu and digitals. Ofc digitals will be important there.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!